Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Scary School by Derek the Ghost A Book Review

Scary School

by Derek the Ghost
Available Now
Goodreads Summary:
You think your school's scary?
Get a load of these teachers:
"Ms. Fang," an 850-year-old vampire
"Dr. Dragonbreath," who just might eat you before recess
"Mr. Snakeskin"--science class is so much more fun when it's taught by someone who's half zombie
"Mrs. T"--break the rules and spend your detention with a hungry "Tyrannosaurus rex"
Plus
Gargoyles, goblins, and Frankenstein's monster on the loose
The world's most frighteningly delicious school lunch
And
The narrator's an eleven-year-old ghost
Join Charles "New Kid" Nukid as he makes some very Scary friends--including Petunia, Johnny, and Peter the Wolf--and figures out that Scary School can be just as funny as it is spooky.

Scary School is a Middle Grade school book, definitely geared toward the lower end of that age group. Parents that read with their children will be amused at the references to Jason with his hockey mask and chain saw, though he is decidedly less scary than the Jason in the movies.
The characters are varied and a mix of human children and monster children. The teachers all seem to be monsters and rather scary at that! Children attending Scary School learn to behave or suffer deadly consequences. Derek the Ghost who wrote the story, suffered one of those deadly accidents that seems to happen frequently at Scary School. But Nurse HairyMole seems to be able to cure even death so most of the kids are safe, relatively speaking.
With funny names and colorful characters, children are sure to be entertained and giggle while reading this chapter book with or without mom or dad. The words are simple enough and the story easy enough to follow that a new chapter book reader shouldn't have much trouble with the book, despite it's length.
I read Scary School on my Kindle Touch, but the illustrations where captivating and I can imagine they will only enhance a child's reading experience. Plus, I've found with boys, that if it still has pictures in it, they are more likely to pick it up and read it.
The plot is survival, of the school year, the monsters, the teachers and the Ghoul Games at the end of the year. There is a light message in the book that is easy to understand and a happy ending. Perfect for the age group intended. I'd recommend this for 8-10 yr olds to read with their parents or alone if they are good readers and not intimidated by an almost two hundred page book, remembering illustrations and short chapters. It was funny for that age group and will definitely have kids looking for the second in the series that just released, Scary School Two, Monsters on the March.
Heather

9 comments:

  1. What fun! Not only will my students love this, but I see it inspiring them to write their own scary stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I liked this one a bit more than you, Heather, I can see your point from a parent's perspective. I thought it was silly and smart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think my cousin Clayton would really enjoy this one. He's just recently started to show an interest in reading and my aunt asked me for recommendations and I came up empty. Now I can forward this one along:) Thanks Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like fun, but clearly not my type of book!!! I remember Pushy started this one but couldn't get into it... Glad you enjoyed this more! The cover looks so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this sounds like a great book for my little cousins. I've been thinking about being the strange cousin to give them nothing but books. ;) This one sounds perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a cute book for younger readers. Maybe if my cousin was a bit older...I'll have to keep it in mind for the future, though!

    Thanks for your review,

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll have to give this one as a recommendation to my sister for the kids at school. It sounds like a lot of fun!

    - Jessica @ Book Sake

    ReplyDelete
  8. This series sounds so fun! I have been wanting to read the first one since I first heard of it. I would love to win a copy! I really need to read this book this summer and I wish the author the best of luck. It was great to learn more about what has inspired them!

    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review! This sounds like a fun read for younger kids, and the characters all sound wonderful. Despite their scary appearances, I'm sure there's a lot more to them.

    ReplyDelete

This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva