Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Storm by Brigid Kemmerer A Review

Storm

by Brigid Kemmerer
Goodreads Summary:
Becca Chandler is suddenly getting all the guys all the ones she doesn't want. Ever since her ex-boyfriend spread those lies about her. Then she saves Chris Merrick from a beating in the school parking lot. Chris is different. Way different: he can control water just like his brothers can control fire, wind, and earth. They're powerful. Dangerous. Marked for death.

And now that she knows the truth, so is Becca.

Secrets are hard to keep when your life's at stake. When Hunter, the mysterious new kid around school, turns up with a talent for being in the wrong place at the right time, Becca thinks she can trust him. But then Hunter goes head-to-head with Chris, and Becca wonders who's hiding the most dangerous truth of all.

The storm is coming

I will apologize in advance for the rambling nature of this review. The more I love it the worse the review. Need I say more?

"It's raining men Hallelujah! It's raining men, Amen!" Remember that song by The Weather Girls???
Well it is raining men or boys in this book! Mercy! These are four brothers that I would have loved to live next door, down the street on the next block in the neighborhood with. Imagine all the bike riding, dog walking, running I would have done just to go past their house. Guess that's kind of stalkerish, but maybe not when you're that young. Dunno.

These guys Chris, Gabriel, Nick and Michael Merrick all live together in an almost frat house type of situation after their parents died. Michael is the oldest and tries to make a living to keep them afloat and keep the boys out of trouble. Not an easy job. Nick and Gabriel are twins but one has a hair trigger and the other is very calm. Though they look exactly alike, they couldn't be more different. Chris tries to keep his nose clean, but it's hard to do when someone is gunning for you to lose your temper every time you turn around. And that's how he and Becca meet.

Becca stayed after for a self defense class and ends up needing it that very night when she sees Chris Merrick getting the crap beat out of him by two bigger boys. She literally hits them with her car to make them stop. Then she drags Chris' very badly beaten body into the car and takes him home. There, she is verbally assaulted by Michael the oldest brother who doesn't believe her story. And from there the story is in constant motion. I can honestly say, there is no lull time, nowhere that you want to skip over something. No overly descriptive passages. No words wasted.

The powers that the boys have are fairly straightforward. It seems that their powers are still growing and they are still learning to control them but the concept is easy to understand. Brigid Kemmerer does not hold back on language or sexual situations - it is all in there. By that I mean, it reads just like boys talking to each other with their slang. The brothers fight like brothers do and it gets physical sometimes. Girls are not treated nicely all the time. Becca, has had a bad thing happen to her before the book even started and gets a bad reputation that people choose to believe rather than find out the truth.

I like Becca, right away. She has guts to get into the middle of a guy fight. Even more guts to sit in a kitchen with three hot guys while she's in dripping wet clothes and yell at them as they yell at her. She grows in confidence in the book, but she had that badly shattered in the beginning of the book. The real details didn't come until the end of the book of what had happened. It was definitely shattering. I think considering everything she goes through in this novel, Becca is one tough girl. And I like her. I don't know why. She's just that girl I could be friends with. And she loves dogs. She's not drop dead gorgeous and not a simpering idiot. She's just average. I think that's why I like her, I can relate to average. 

The guys, I liked Chris. And this was really his story. Didn't really get to know the other guys that much, but Gabriel got on my nerves a bit. He was so quick to anger and then I didn't like the way he treated Becca. And Michael, I didn't know the novella Elemental was in the back of my book or I would have read that first. It would have explained him so much. Make sure you read it so you understand him. He has a tough job and it wasn't until I read the last few pages of the story that I understood how separated he felt from his brothers. Oh, and there is Hunter who rescues Becca a time or two and helps her build her confidence by facing her worst fears.

The novel ends  with a good conclusion but with some loose ends for the next story and in my copy, there were a few pages of Spark already there to read. And yes it has me salivating waiting for the story to come out. Brigid Kemmerer writes a fast paced story with well written characters and a twisting plot. It 's the type of YA I love to read. It's heavy on the romance and  story  and there is room for many heroes. As I started writing my review, I started reading the novel again and found myself seven chapters in again already. It's definitely one I'll keep. The next novella will be Fearless which releases on July 31st. Spark comes out August 28th. Then there will be a bit of a lull until the next book comes out. I'm pushing for Michael to get his own book even if he is a bit older than the YA crowd at 23. He could have his own story in the "New Adult" genre. What do you think?

This is definitely a book for older YA readers. There is drinking, attempted rape, allusions to sex and sexual innuendo along with strong language. Use your best judgement when choosing your book based on  maturity level.

I promise you, one page, you'll love it! Joli from Actin' Up with Books was down vacationing in my area and we went to Barnes and Noble. She grabbed the only copy on the shelf after we hunted the shelves for this novel. I told her she had to read it. Hope you're enjoying it Joli!

If you want to email Brigid Kemmerer to tell her you want Michael to have his own story (yes) or that you enjoyed the book you can email her at brigidmary@gmail.com
You can view her blog here: Brigid Kemmerer
Heather
This book is one of the choices in the giveaway for the All Male Review Challenge Giveaway Hop

16 comments:

  1. Well, you told me I absolutely HAD to read this, and based on your review I'd say you are 150% right! Love the sound of Becca, and now I'm beyond curious as to what happened to shatter her confidence. Also, any book that inspires you to start your review with "it's raining men" is one that needs to be downloaded onto my Kindle immediately. I have a vacation coming up soon, and this book and these boys are definitely coming with me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny-
      Oh good! I'm glad that line worked! I wanted to get people's attention. It definitely was raining men, or young men. So hot!!

      Heather

      Delete
  2. Great review Heather! I really liked this one too! I'm definitely looking forward to the next book in the series ( & the novella)! I did read the prequel book first and was definitely surprised about events that happened after Michael's short story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading it the other way explained things to me. I don't know which way is better, what do you think?

      Delete
    2. That's a really good question! LOL! I read the e-novella version before I even had the main book. I didn't know it was included at the end of Storm. I was suprised by how much time had passed and the things that happened between then & the present when I read Storm. Part of me is glad I read it before though because I got to read a little more of Michael before the main one.

      Delete
    3. I think if I had read it before, I would have had more sympathy for him while reading. As I read it after Storm, it was kind of like AHA. But at one point in the story, despite having not read the novella, I did feel for him, about the time Becca did.

      Delete
    4. Yes, totally agree with you on that one. I am surprised though that the prequel was put at the back of the main book. It was released before Storm, so I would think they would have put it at the beginning or maybe make it a longer sized prologue or something like that.

      Delete
  3. I have the novella but so need to get these. Raining men? Oh yea... you know you convinced me with that! Darn! You have my wishlist a growin'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, well you know payback....Mine increases on my adult list every time I visit your blog!

      Delete
  4. OOOOoOOOO!!!!!!!!! Isn't this book awesometastic!! So happy you picked it up and loved it!!! It was amazing -- gosh those boys!
    And while Gabriel went on your nerves now, wait until you read Spark! You.Will.Fall.I.Love with this boy and he will break your heart.. *wipes away a tear*

    I liked Michael and I got why he was behaving that way. I stil have to read the Novella though.. ;( Poor Michael! Poor Boys! I wanna hug them all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd happily be a substitute mother for them! They need some home cooked meals and someone to take care of them, don't they! No. by the end of the book I wasn't mad at Gabriel anymore. Especially after that one scene. I felt his pain. You should read Michael's story. It explains his patience.

      Oh and thanks for getting me to pick my copy up!

      Heather

      Delete
  5. I have heard this one great! I'm glad that you enjoyed it too. I will definitely have to watch for it and give it a try. Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it's been out, you'll need to read it and catch up before Spark comes out at the end of August!

      Delete
  6. This one is getting great reviews - and definitely on the "raining men" part as well. When I first saw this cover I thought of The Outsiders...which is totally different, but it must have been the guy thing!

    - Jessica @ Book Sake

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing like the Outsiders. They are outsiders, but I don't know why considering high school girls love cute guys. But they are a little different and give off a little bit different vibe. You know how everyone has to be the same in high school. Different is bad. So these guys have a lot working against them.

      But great characters, story, twists and turns, drama, action I loved it!

      Delete
  7. Ooh this one sounds awesome! There's something lovable about reading about brothers. Maybe it's because I'm close to mine. I dunno. I like the mixture of paranormal powers, romance, action, and drama. It's going on my tbr pile!

    ReplyDelete

This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva