Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Such a Rush by Jennifer Echols

Such a Rush

by Jennifer Echols
Amazon, Kindle, Barnes and Noble, IndieBound
Goodreads Summary:
A sexy and poignant romantic tale of a young daredevil pilot caught between two brothers.

High school senior Leah Jones loves nothing more than flying. While she’s in the air, it’s easy to forget life with her absentee mother at the low-rent end of a South Carolina beach town. When her flight instructor, Mr. Hall, hires her to fly for his banner advertising business, she sees it as her ticket out of the trailer park. And when he dies suddenly, she’s afraid her flying career is gone forever.     

But Mr. Hall’s teenage sons, golden boy Alec and adrenaline junkie Grayson, are determined to keep the banner planes flying. Though Leah has crushed on Grayson for years, she’s leery of getting involved in what now seems like a doomed business — until Grayson betrays her by digging up her most damning secret. Holding it over her head, he forces her to fly for secret reasons of his own, reasons involving Alec. Now Leah finds herself drawn into a battle between brothers — and the consequences could be deadly.

Okay, seems a bit dramatic doesn't it? Well things are dramatic when you're a teenager and I think Jennifer Echols catches that very well. I've only read Going Too Far by her before this and it's along the same vein as this one. Troubled, strong female MC. Sex isn't an issue, it's in the book. So be prepared along with some strong language and some pretty bad parenting and other things that people might object to.  None of it is stuff that doesn't occur on the news nightly or isn't written in the papers. It's just that Jennifer Echols isn't afraid to write it down in a book about teens for teens. And I think she should. 

Leah has been raised in trailer parks next to airports her entire life. So, at the age of 14 when they move to Heaven Beach, South Carolina, she ducks under the fence and gets a job at the airport. She watches the planes come and go. She listens to the old pilots shoot the breeze on the front porch of the small airport that doesn't even have a flight control tower. And she eats it up. It's about the only thing she's got going right in her life. And so what if she's got a huge crush on Mr. Hall's of Hall Aviation son, Grayson. Nothing will ever come of it. They don't  know she exists. The boys don't. But Leah figures out how to get flying lessons from Mr. Hall and he takes her in as a daughter, his sons are too busy to come visit after the divorce. By the time Grayson, Alec and Leah are all 18 they have their commercial pilot's licences and plan to spend Spring Break and the summer flying banners for money for Hall Aviation. But bad things happen and those plans go down the drain.

Now, I'll say this about Jennifer Echols characters- they are complicated. I thought I had Leah figured out. She lived in a trailer and wanted to get out of it. But she wasn't going to be handed anything, she was going to earn it. And if people thought she had been handed something because she was sexy and knew how to use it, well they could think what they wanted to, she wasn't going to correct them. But Leah was also fierce to me. And I didn't expect her to take certain things that she did. I thought she acted a little out of character in certain parts of the book.

Grayson, he was exactly who I thought he would be. Cocky, self assured, good looking and always had to have everything his way. Alec, was probably the easiest to like because he wasn't in the picture that much. And Molly, well let's just say, I don't want a best friend, if that's what I have to have.  They all seemed to be good and wholesome and caring, but Leah just didn't see them for who they really were. She never let her own feelings out. She had a crappy mother who was always leaving her. She rarely had food. She didn't have a car to get food.  No one ever offered to take her to get food and she never asked. Her reasons were stupid.

But you know what, I loved this book. For all the flawed characters, I still loved the book and I will buy my own copy. I stayed up all night with a bad eye to read this one. I guess it was because the characters didn't fit a mold. They changed up when I thought I knew them. And I had to think about them for a few days before I could even write this review. They're still swimming around in my head. I really loved this book!

It's definitely for older teens. It contains, strong language, sex, drugs, drinking, and other suggestive things regarding sex. I can't say what age, my teen is old enough for it. Use your best judgement.

I did read the ARC of this book supplied by Southern Book Bloggers ARC Tours. I was not compensated for this review. 
Heather

10 comments:

  1. Oh I cannot wait to get my hands on this book!! I want to read it so badly! And.. I loved flawed Characters! I truly do - they are more real than any other super perfect hero! Love this!

    But one question: Is the MC 14???

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, the book starts with her as 14 and then it skips to 3 yrs later. They are 18 for the majority of the book. Maybe one or two chapters she's 14. One, I think b/c it was on an ARC tour, I don't have it anymore, but I'm gonna get it. I am hit or miss on her books, but this one was HIT all the way. GReads had a great much more coherent review on her blog last week. Go back and read it. She says it so much better than me. I almost asked if I could just refer everyone to her review instead of writing one! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you read this one all night even with your bad eye? Must be good then! I love flawed characters, even when they irritate me to no end, I still love that they could elicit that kind of reaction in me. Also, I'm in love with Grayson simply because of his name, that's always been one of my favorite names. Apparently I'm shallow like that:) Can't wait to read this one, thanks for the review Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hrm..honestly, I'm not sure about picking this one up, Heather. The soap poperish, teen drama is what's turning me off, but since you liked it enough to read it in pretty much one sitting, I guess I should give it a try, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely want to read this one - love Jennifer Echols!

    - Jessica @ Book Sake

    ReplyDelete
  6. Flawed and complicated characters can be the most fun! Sorry about your eye, but happy you enjoyed this so much. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree that there is no such thing as too much drama for a teen, unless it is coming from their parents.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like something I'd enjoy. It's so true! Drama is the teenage experience. LOL I so need to read something by this author. I can't believe I haven't yet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't heard of this book- but I love the cover : ) Thanks for the great review : ) ~ Jess
    http://thesecretdmsfilesoffairdaymorrow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not a big fan of love triangles and I hate when they involve brothers so I'm a little worried about that aspect even though I think the idea of flying sounds great!

    Zaira Lynn (Boiler Service)

    ReplyDelete

This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva