Monday, July 2, 2012

The Vicious Deep by Zoraida Cordova -A Review


The Vicious Deep  

The Vicious Deep 

by Zoraida Cordova 

Goodreads Summary: For Tristan Hart, everything changes with one crashing wave. He was gone for three days. Sucked out to sea in a tidal wave and spit back ashore at Coney Island with no memory of what happened. Now his dreams are haunted by a terrifying silver mermaid with razor-sharp teeth. His best friend Layla is convinced something is wrong. But how can he explain he can sense emotion like never before? How can he explain he’s heir to a kingdom he never knew existed? That he’s suddenly a pawn in a battle as ancient as the gods. Something happened to him in those three days. He was claimed by the sea…and now it wants him back. 

Well, it's certainly the summer of merpeople.sirenz,selkies! And I am loving it! Some are eerily dark, some are deeply romantic and some, like this one had me laughing even though it had some dark (slightly) moments. Zoraida Cordova can get inside a teenage boy's head as if she is one! And I've seen pictures, she's very pretty, she is no boy! But Tristan Hart, who narrates The Vicious Deep, is so funny. He's a bit stuck on himself, like when Layla comments on the good looks of someone he thinks to himself "hey what about me" or he thinks he can get any girl, any, to fall for him. Except of course, the one he wants who thinks he's a man wh*re.

For the serious part, Tristan gets swept out to sea in the very beginning by a huge rogue wave. Lots of people die. Tristan is the only one that makes it back alive. Despite that, his mother doesn't want him in the hospital. She makes him leave the same day they find him and at home he's having a hard time settling down into his old routine. His skin doesn't feel right. He feels like there is sand everywhere. Oh, both parents still there, no alcohol or drug problems, mom and dad very much in love. Not stinkin' rich, but well to do. Yes, this is YA, I know. But, they kept one bit of information from Tristan thinking he'd never have to deal with it. I cannot tell you how he learns about it, but it has got to be one of the most comical scenes a secret of this magnitude has ever been revealed. 

Then the world Zoraida Cordova builds, is just so fantastic. It's exactly what I would imagine and not at all what I would be able to come up with on my own. The fantasy aspect of it was so great, I felt like I was reading a fairy tale, but there were no Ariel's. This is a cutthroat kingdom! The food and drink, the bed chambers, I ate it all up! 

I read the ARC of this novel courtesy of Southern Book Bloggers ARC Tours, but I loved it so much, I bought my own copy. Thanks to them for allowing me to read it and hold my review until the week of the All Male Review Challenge Week. Obviously reading the ARC in no way influenced my review and I'm so excited the next in the series comes out early winter! Thanks for writing so fast Zoraida Cordova!!

Heather
This is one of the books that you can choose in the All Male Review Challenge Giveaway!

12 comments:

  1. OoOO AWESOME! I wanted to read this book so badly ever since I fell in love with Of Poseidon which fueled my mermaid love. I am so happy you liked it))
    Thank you so much for participating in the All Male Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not as focused on romance as Of Poseidon, but it's fantastic! And there is a love story! You will love Tristan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There aren't that many YA paranormals that are written from a male's pov. I'd pick this one up just to learn about Tristan as he sounds hiliarious and cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh he is Rummanah! The reveal scene is just too funny!
      And he is just a little bit "I'm a stud" and gets shot down and it's so funny!

      Heather

      Delete
  4. Oh this is one that I've been wanting to read... and now you have me wanting to read it all over again!

    Mermen! Gotta love those fishy men! ;D

    PS... good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do love those Mermen! You need to read this one you, like Tristan.

      Delete
  5. I love MERMAN! And all water mythology creatures! This sounds funny and Tristan sounds like quite the stud. LOL Didn't realize this was from a male POV so I'm now very interested! Why are parents always trying to hide stuff? The truth comes out eventually!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why parents hide stuff. The kids always find out and it's so much worse because it's hidden. And this reveal so comical, I mean, you would never guess! My husband had to come check on me to see if I was okay I was laughing so hard.

      Delete
  6. Oh, I'm interested to read a book where a female author has nailed a male POV so well. Love the title.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She Nailed it. Or at least what I think the mail POV would be. Who knows, she may be way off base, but it sure sound a lot like the 15 yr old I live with!

      Delete
  7. I'm loving mermaid/merman books more than ever. This sounds like a great one to add to the list as well. Love that the mail POV sounds realistic too!!

    - Jessica @ Book Sake

    ReplyDelete
  8. My interest in this book just soared. I've wanted to read it for a while now, but my library doesn't have a copy. bastards.

    I'll have to order a copy from Amazon I suppose. Glad to hear it was good! I'm all about the mer-stories this summer!

    ReplyDelete

This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva