Friday, August 17, 2012

All These Lives by Sarah Wylie A Review

All These Lives

by Sarah Wylie
Goodreads Summary:
Sixteen-year-old Dani is convinced she has nine lives. As a child she twice walked away from situations where she should have died. But Dani’s twin, Jena, isn’t so lucky.  She has cancer and might not even be able to keep her one life. Dani’s father is in denial. Her mother is trying to hold it together and prove everything’s normal.  And Jena is wasting away.  To cope, Dani sets out to rid herself of all her extra lives.  Maybe they’ll be released into the universe and someone who wants to live more than she does will get one.  Someone like Jena.  But just when Dani finds herself at the breaking point, she’s faced with a startling realization.  Maybe she doesn’t have nine lives after all.  Maybe she really only ever had one.

This book is loaded with emotional cliffs and we drop off more than one as we navigate, for a brief time, in the life of Dani Bailey's complicated and decidedly depressing life. Not that Dani does anything to make it better. But her twin, her other half, the one who knows her best, the one who she promised when she was six and had the chicken pox that she would die for her, is dying right before her eyes and she can't stop it. But she has this odd theory that she has nine lives from something her mother told her when she survived a car crash when she was little. And she thinks when Jena is at her worst, if she gives up one of those lives, then Jena will feel well.  And so she goes from one suicide attempt to another without anyone really understanding what is happening. Except for Jack.

Dani and Jack have known each other since kindergarten and apparently Dani has been bullying Jack verbally since then. She loves to tease him and make him blush. But now that things have changed in her life, the stakes are higher and suddenly Jack is talking back. Somehow he knows what's going on and like everyone else, she uses her humor as a defense to push him away. Dani has essentially become a stranger to herself. She doesn't know who she is without Jena and she's so afraid that Jena is going to die that instead of savoring her moments with her, she pushes her away and stays away as much as possible. But to think "I will go on existing without her. Wear dresses she has never seen. One birthday cake instead of two. The thought is so absurd that I almost burst out laughing." That's what she thinks as tears roll down my cheeks. 

Dani's parents make her start seeing a therapist after she crashes a motorcycle and she's still denying herself any help. If they could only see what we could see, they would put her on 24 hour lock down, and I'm not one to kid about that. She is a danger to herself always. Her biggest fear is being left alone without her twin. Seeing that empty chair at the table for four. Being the one left behind. Some of the last pages are the most profound in the story which I can't share of course. But it makes me wonder who is more scared, the person dying or the ones left behind?

Dani does crash land literally. And she has to decide is she going to quit before she even knows if her sister makes it through the cancer? Or is she going to live the life she's been given, considering she's wasting the one she'd do anything to give to her sister, which is impossible. She has a wicked sense of humor, which she keeps despite everything, but I think I'd be exhausted keeping everyone in my life at arm's length. And in the end, she finds out she isn't as enigmatic as she thought.

I'd definitely recommend this for YA readers that can handle death and suicide. It's heavy on both.
I received a copy of this from MacMillan Children's Publishing through NetGalley for review. The opinions expressed are my own. I was not compensated for my review.

11 comments:

  1. This one was a difficult read for me - I always struggle with the books that sort of toss us into the middle of a life with no background on who they were before we met them, and then yank us out again before we have a concrete idea of what their future holds. I know a lot of people love the uncertainty of an open ending, but those cause me to have a nervous tick - I have to know what happens to the characters! I can't deal with the not knowing:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The open ending didn't bother me with this one, though I felt I did have a little bit of insight into who Dani was when she talked about her old lunch crowd. But not a lot. I felt with the deal she and Jena made it was a day to day thing at the end. I don't know if I could have handled a finite ending.

      Delete
  2. I truly think from what I read from your review that this is no book for me... Death and Suicde are serious topics and I need to be emotionally stable to read such books..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No one dies, but imminent death is always looming. And Dani is trying. But it's all tied to Jena's illness. It is and isn't depression. It's situational depression and delusions that cause her to attempt suicide. And maybe desperation. But no, it's not light reading.

      Delete
  3. Hm... I don't think I'd read this one right now. Need much more light than this kind of dark. I also know it would frustrate me to no end that the parents aren't taking it more seriously. However, I could also understand that they are probably at their wits end trying to cope with one sick child. Sounds like a powerful book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her parents know that something is wrong, but they are all trying to cope with one child that is touch and go from one minute to the next. They just don't realize what she's doing. I can't say more without ruining it.

      Delete
  4. I had no idea how intense this book is! The cover made me think it was sort of paranormal for some reason. I can deal with books with tough subjects but I need to be in a better place to read them, you know? It's on my tbr.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not paranormal, though Dani would have you believe she has nine lives. Just a girl with a very hard shell that doesn't know how to accept what's happening. My review isn't very good. It was hard to write.

      Delete
  5. This sounds very dark, although teens are no strangers to dark subjects. I know many actively seek them out - look at Goths! But this sounds dark in the realest sense. Great review and wow - you have read so many books already this year! Puts my efforts to shame. :) X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but I'm not getting ready to publish a book! I'd rather be in your position!!

      Delete
  6. Wow, this one sounds like a must-read. That's such an interesting, yet quirky idea that Dani has, but it's shocking that she decides to go through with it. I'd definitely read this one when I'm looking for an emotional read. Thanks so much for your touching review!

    ReplyDelete

This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva