Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas Review

Throne of Glass

by Sarah J. Maas
Goodreads Summary:
After serving out a year of hard labor in the salt mines of Endovier for her crimes, 18-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien is dragged before the Crown Prince. Prince Dorian offers her her freedom on one condition: she must act as his champion in a competition to find a new royal assassin.

Her opponents are men—thieves and assassins and warriors from across the empire, each sponsored by a member of the kings council. If she beats her opponents in a series of eliminations, she’ll serve the kingdom for three years and then be granted her freedom.

Celaena finds her training sessions with the captain of the guard, Westfall, challenging and exhilirating. But she’s bored stiff by court life. Things get a little more interesting when the prince starts to show interest in her... but it’s the gruff Captain Westfall who seems to understand her best.

Then one of the other contestants turns up dead... quickly followed by another. Can Celaena figure out who the killer is before she becomes a victim? As the young assassin investigates, her search leads her to discover a greater destiny than she could possibly have imagined.


I loved this book! I loved the world though I'm hoping to understand it more in the next novel. I loved the sheer ballsyness of Prince Dorian getting the Assassin of Adarlan, an 18 yr old girl, to be his champion and show up his dad, if it worked. I loved the intelligence behind Celaena's mind even in the very beginning of the book. She's being led up and down and round and round in shackles through two connecting towers by a man in a hood with six guards and she realizes it's all to keep her from figuring out an escape route. But she's already figured out they are going up and down the same sets of stairs and around the same tower and she's plotting how fast she can take the six guards out or should she take the hooded man out first.  But then she's before the prince and she's a little flumoxed.


Throughout the book, though I'm certain in all her training as an assassin so that she can fit in she knows how to act, Celaena shows a complete lack of decorum. She hates the corsets and would rather wear trousers. She eats with her mouth open and even shows her food to Captain Westfall once when he's going on about something. She was like a child in many ways. And she was delighted by the things a child would delight in, a puppy, a bag of candy. It gives you a hint into what she missed out on as a child and what has shaped her into who she is. Why she craves freedom so desperately she'll do anything, even this crazy championship to get it.


If she wins the championship, she'll be the King's assassin for four years. The King she despises for sending her to the salt mines, for enslaving so many of the people of their lands, for conquering so many nations and killing innocents, for banishing magic. If she wins, she'll have to stand beside him and follow his orders to kill anyone he tells her to. But after four years, she'll have no master. She thinks it's worth it.


The love interests are the Captain of the Guard, her main guard and trainer, Captain Westfall, first name Chaol and best friend to the prince, Dorian, the other love interest. It's really hard to pick a winner in the love triangle. They are both good men, but if you look at Celaena, and what she needs, Chaol is probably the best choice. At least he can fight her. I don't think Dorian is a match for her and she is not one to play princess.


So, there is a lot of court intrigue and politics. Mom is trying to get Dorian to marry. HA! If she only knew. The champions are being murdered. The King is away most of  the book but news of his heinous deeds reaches the castle. Some kind of magic is being worked in the castle. Celaena has two handsome men falling for her and someone is out to get her. And there are secrets in her past that we only get to see hints at in this novel. What's not to love? Oh and she hates the Glass Castle. Yes, the King built a Glass Castle. I can't see anything but bad things happening there.


I was completely in love with this story. That Celaena was a bit childish was unexpected but made perfect sense.  Her ability to fight men twice her size was believable because of her wit, not brawn. It was no wonder no one believed she was the Assassain of Adarlan.  I cannot wait for the next book!!


Thanks to Bloomsbury Children's Books and NetGalley for the E-ARC. I will be buying a copy of this for the special shelf so I can read it again until the next book comes out! The opinions expressed are my own. I was not compensated for my review.


Heather

5 comments:

  1. Yay! I loved this too so your review is exciting! I like Dorian for her but yet have a feeling that maybe she'll end up with Chaol. I tend to go for the underdog so I will probably end up rooting for him anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad this one worked so well for you Heather! You already know this wasn't really the book for me, but that's okay. I'm rooting for Chaol as well though, I agree he's a better fit for her. I liked Dorian, but like you said, I don't see Celaena playing princess! Fabulous review:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I'm curious. I know I would already disagree with the character about it being worth it, but I would love to see that kind of character grow.

    I love that all these women are assassins. Wait... not that I love assassins, just that they can be seen as kick @ss... Yea, I think that's it. ;D

    Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here is great book. I have been read this book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Something a little different and a great opener. Read it in one night. Can't wait to read the next one.

    Cleo Rogers (Backpacking Hawaii)

    ReplyDelete

This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva