Today is the first day of the Read-Along featuring Cornerstone by Misty Provencher. I reviewed Cornerstone several months ago and hope that some of you picked up a copy of it then. If not, you can take a chance now to see if you might be interested in the novel. It is a fantastic novel with a totally different supernatural element to it and great characters that you will come to love. And of course, there is a romance that is slow to build, but oh such a smoldering burn. I hope you'll get a copy of Cornerstone and join the read-along.
So, if you've read Cornerstone, grab your book and answer the questions. If you haven't read it yet, it's only 99 cents on Kindle at Amazon. Grab it and read it fast! Then join us and answer the questions. Link up and we'll have fun discussing the book, my favorite part of blogging!
1.) Right away we learn a bit about the fact that Nalena has to buy massive amounts of paper for her mom and that her mother is a bit of a paper hoarder. What was your initial reaction to this? Do you think there might be more to her mothers paper obsession? What do you think it is that she's writing down, is she really just a crazy lady that has a compulsion to create characters and plot details?
This was tricky because I knew there had to be more to the story than her being a paper hoarder but I had no idea what. When she talked to Nalena she certainly didn't seem crazy so I ruled that idea out. I didn't know what she was writing down but it definitely seemed important to her and I was hoping to know more by the end of the book.
2.) We meet Garrett. Okay, breathe for a moment... Now we meet him and we see him through Nali's eyes and she's very wary at first, despite his good looks (or because of it). But he seems so genuine, and he says he understands her mothers paper hoarding. And then he saves her from the crazy person in the woods. And then makes her hand and arm feel better. What are your thoughts about Garrett so far?
I'm still wary of him. Nali has been hurt so much by the kids at school and here is this super cute jock paying attention to her. It doesn't make sense and her mom is warning her to stay away from him. Something is wrong here. And so far, caution is better than hope.
3.) We meet Cora and Nali describes her as a bit of a fair-weather friend. Only showing up when it's convenient and never really being a true friend. Have you ever had a fair-weather friend? How did it make you feel?
Hmm, not that I can remember. I did have people that swung by only to tell me the latest gossip not to find anything out about me. I pretty much ignored them. I thought they were pretty pathetic if that's all they had to do.
4.) Nali is teased and called The Waste at school because of her mothers paper hoarding. She's constantly made fun of and put down. Do you think you would be brave enough to stand up for yourself? And if you were to see someone being teased would you jump in and stand up for them?
I want to say yes that I would stand up for myself and the other person and the person I am today, I know I would stand up for the other person. But not myself. I'd ask to transfer to another school or quit altogether. The person I was in high school, I would never have stood up for myself. I would have cried and run away. If I saw someone being treated that way, I would probably have stood up for them. In high school yes, but in lower grades, maybe not. I was still afraid of the world.
5.) When Regina is picking on Nali in class she suddenly feels these rings go around her body and then seems to step outside of it. Later when she's attacked she seems to have a sort of super speed that helps her dodge blows. Do you have any idea what might be going on? If you could have any ability what ability would you choose?
When I first read the book, I didn't have a clue. It's still a bit out there. I'd either choose the ability to be invisible or to turn into anything or anyone else, I guess that's transforming not shape shifting.
Awesome questions Candace! Made me think a little deeper about the book! Make sure to linkup below.
So below are the questions for next week and I am ashamed to say, they were not written by me like they should have been. Misty, the author, came up with the questions as I've been dealing with some stuff. So thank you so much Misty and I hope we all enjoy answering her questions.
WEEK TWO QUESTIONS
1. At the start of Chapter 6, Nalena follows Garrett in pursuit of the man who attacked her in the woods. She has a semi-out-of-body-experience, running faster than she should be able to, with the ground passing beneath her in “a dirty blur”. Her feeling of fear is what jerks her back into herself and trips her up. What do you think of her new abilities and what limitations might they present?
2. After Nalena loses Garrett in the pursuit, Nalena and her mother end up at Garrett’s house to let his parents know what has happened. We meet the rest of the Reese family, including Garrett’s oldest brother and carbon copy, Sean, and Garrett’s youngest sibling and only sister, Iris. Sean and Iris remain at the house while the rest go to search for Garrett. Why do you think they were the ones left behind? Anything odd in their conversation that could give us clues as to what is going on?
3. Chapter 7- Um, WHY do you think he didn’t kiss her??? If you were in Nali’s shoes, would you have forced the kiss to happen?
4. In Chapter 7, Evangeline drops it like its hot and explains her past, what the Ianua is and why she’s kept Nalena from it all. At this point, if you could have a broader view of the world Nalena is entering into, what would you envision or assume it to be like? Would you be frightened or intrigued?
5. Regina and Jen visit Nalena in the school bathroom with a whooping in mind. Does it bother you that they are cheerleaders? What if Jen had been a random, unpopular girl? Would the scene have the same impact for you?
6. Chapter 10, the Reese boys reveal that Nalena being a Contego means that there is a Cusp coming. If you were to define the Cusp, what do you think it would be? Would it be a singular event or a series of them? Why do you think Evangeline takes it so hard that her daughter is not Alo?
Have fun with these questions,