Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Cornerstone Read-Along Week Four

Oh no! It is the last week of the read-along for Cornerstone! (And my post is late) Oh, I've loved this read-along and meeting the new bloggers that have joined in as well as some of our old blogging friends.
If you'd like to join in you can sign up at Rainy Day Ramblings.
For a full schedule of all the questions and answers here they are:

Below are the questions for this week's final Read-Along:

Cornerstone Read-along Questions- Week #4
Ch.17-21, pp. 195-219

1.  At the party Jen's true colors seem to re-emerge. Did you buy Jen's earlier apology and feel that she was genuinely sorry for the way she treated Nali or did you suspect all along that she was being false? Do you think Jen had an ulterior motive for inviting Nali (and Garrett) to her party? Was it a good idea for Nali to attend the part in the end?

No, I never bought Jen's apology. The words never really came out of her mouth. Yeah, she wanted to make a mockery of Nali in front of Garrett so that he would drop her and want to date her. But she seems to forget that Garrett never wanted to date her in the first place. I think it was a good idea for her to go so everyone could see her and Garrett together, but they didn't get to stay long enough to make a huge difference. But I think maybe Jen got the message. But she's just more angry now.

2.  When Nali discovers her father holding her mother at gunpoint he tells her that he only wants to be a family again. He also tells Nali that her mind has been poisoned against him by her mother.  Did you believe there was any truth to his words or that his feelings towards Nali were sincere at all? Do you think there is any truth to Roger's claims of the Ianua being controlling? 

No, there's no truth to that. Nali's mother never even talked about her father until very recently and she never told him what her father did. She still didn't tell him what his threats were until she absolutely had to. Poisoning her mind would have been talking bad against him for years and she never did that. No, his feelings were never sincere about being a family. You don't hold a gun to someone to make them be your family. No, I don't believe the Ianua is controlling. There was always stress that Nali had a choice. Nali knew she had a choice to be in it or not. Evangeline left the community and no one forced her to return. No one asked for the papers she was writing. If they were controlling they would have constantly tried to force them to return to the community.

3.  When Nali drops the Cornerstone in exchange for the release of her mother, it distracts Roger and Nali's mom attempts to escape. After a struggle Evangeline is shot and killed by Roger. Do you think Evangeline intentionally sacrificed herself? Were you surprised when Roger took his own life afterwards instead of returning to the Fury with Nali? What does Roger's suicide say about his character?

Yes, I think Evangeline intentionally sacrificed herself. She wanted Nali to get away from Roger and was buying her precious time.  I think Roger had crossed over to the insanity part of the Fury, but had just enough left that he still knew right from wrong and really did love Evangeline and Nali (just had a warped way of showing it) and he was sorry for what he had done. I wasn't surprised. He knew Nali's choice and he couldn't change especially after he killed her mother. He lost everything when Evangeline died. I think his suicide says he might have had a small part of a conscience left and decency, to not take Nali to the Fury. He'd have been almost forced to make her part of the Fury's plans if he had lived.

4.  After Nali's mom is killed, she returns as Nali's new connection replacing Grace. Did this surprise you? Do you think it "was meant to be" as Nali's mother says?

I was surprised, but I guess with the way things work out, I shouldn't have been. This novel is so unpredictable that it's really hard to guess what's going to happen. It must have been meant to be and I should have seen it coming when that conversation between Nali and Garrett took place. But again, so unpredictable.

5.  When Nali regains consciousness she learns from the Addo that in addition to losing her own parents, all the other Addo's have been killed as well as Garrett's father. Were you surprised that all these characters were killed off by the end of the book?

Yes, killing off big characters is a big deal. That there are no male role models for all those boys in the family is going to be interesting to see. I guess Sean will have to step up. There is so much grief and sadness at the end of the book. But I wonder if  Mr. Reese will become one of the boy's connections. Or if Sean will choose a different path, now.

6.  Nali must decide whether to pick the Cornerstone back up and start the imprinting process again (which will be extremely painful and possibly life threatening) or she can choose to walk away and have a Simple life. Nali decides to pick the stone back up and become Contego. Why do you think she made this decision? Was it for vengeance? Was it for Garrett? Or do you think there is another reason? Would you have made the same decision if you had been in Nali's place?

No, Nali's reasons for picking up the Cornerstone were personally her own. She wants to be Contego. That was her choice and she is going to honor that. She knows all the possibilities, but she thinks it's worth the risk. And she wants to protect the Addo. That's what she was born to do. Would I make the same choice?
I'm a bit of a chicken especially when it comes to dying, but yes, if that's what I was born to do, I would do it and if I died doing it, then that's what I was meant to do.

Totally awesome questions! This was such a great read-along! I really enjoyed it and pick up a copy of Cornerstone if you haven't already. It is unlike anything you've read. It does have a religious community in it, but they are unlike anything you've ever known and it isn't religious in anyway. The second book is out now called Keystone. There is an awesome blog tour going on right now regarding that, and you can see my post for that, Keystone Blog Tour  here and enter the giveaways. 

Thank for following along!



  1. Wow, it's uncanny how similar our answers are, Heather! I think you are going to really enjoy Keystone. It totally blew me away. All the questions I had were answered and all the things I wanted to see happen and develop did. I can't wait for the next book in the series:)

    This was fun! I'm glad I discovered your blog in the process:)

    1. Me too, Heather! I'll have to read Keystone soon! Did you see the new covers? They look great! Glad to discover your blog as well!

  2. Oh I have this one and I'm going to read it! You all have been pushing me toward moving it up the tbr!! All your fault.. ;)

    1. You better read it, then come back and see how you would have answered our questions!

  3. Hey girl! I am so glad I made a new friend...that is what I like best about read alongs. You had some fantastic answers, It is hard for me to answer this week because I finished Keystone so my answers are all tainted. I think Roger does have a fleeting moment of regret. As far as the boys, they will be okay and yes Sean will step up because he is cool and I am torn between him and Garrett. This is a spectacular series and I will be watching for your review of Keystone mine was up,this past Monday! Have a great day.
    Sorry I was lame and didn't get the link up...this week has just been a zoo!

    1. Totally understand! I've loved doing this too, it's so great to have met you and Heather and I love Kristin at My ParaHangover, and Christy at Love of Books. I need to make sure you are all added to my Blog Roll. It's been a lot of fun hanging out with you guys this month!
      I will make time to read Keystone soon.

  4. Oh man, you SO need to read Keystone!
    I think that Roger was insane but that made him believe what he was doing was right. I think maybe you'll see things a little different once you read Keystone.
    And I agree that the books are completely unpredictable! I love that!


This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva