Friday, September 7, 2012

Skinny by Donna Cooner A Review

Skinny

by Donna Cooner
Goodreads Summary:
Find your voice.

Hopeless. Freak. Elephant. Pitiful. These are the words of Skinny, the vicious voice that lives inside fifteen-year-old Ever Davies’s head. Skinny tells Ever all the dark thoughts her classmates have about her. Ever knows she weighs over three hundred pounds, knows she’ll probably never be loved, and Skinny makes sure she never forgets it. 

But there is another voice: Ever’s singing voice, which is beautiful but has been silenced by Skinny. Partly in the hopes of trying out for the school musical—and partly to try and save her own life—Ever decides to undergo a risky surgery that may help her lose weight and start over.

With the support of her best friend, Ever begins the uphill battle toward change. But demons, she finds, are not so easy to shake, not even as she sheds pounds. Because Skinny is still around. And Ever will have to confront that voice before she can truly find her own.

Sometimes, a book really resonates with you when you read it and you eagerly devour it nodding in agreement with every word understanding each thought and action the main character has. Such is the case with Skinny. The story of Ever, a 302 pound 15 year old undergoing gastric bypass surgery is told through Ever's point of view. She narrates the story and we hear her thoughts and reactions. She's built this wall, this shell around her, this fat to keep people away, to deal with her mother's death, to deal with what she knows people are thinking about her. It's a vicious cycle. She started eating with her mother, closet eating, sharing chocolate bars eaten when her dad wasn't around. Then her mom died and she used the chocolate bars as a way to feel close to her mom. And then Skinny arrived after a certain amount of weight was gained. Skinny, the voice inside that told her she was too fat to do anything. And so she kept adding the pounds.

This is kind of a Cinderella story in that Ever goes from being the obese joke in the school to someone that gets noticed. But the real story here is that despite the dangerous surgery Ever goes through and the recovery and her transformation, that voice telling her she can't, she's still too something to be good enough, didn't disappear. I believe a lot of people think "If only I had more money, my troubles would go away." They don't. You won't be any happier. "If only I could get John to go out with me" your troubles would still be there. "If I were richer, prettier, smarter, skinnier...." You have to be enough. Ever learns a lot about herself and the people she's been pushing away and the one that's been by her all along. It's a great story about changing how you view yourself and the people around you.

I think adults as well as teens would get a lot from this novel. It isn't about being overweight and then getting skinny and getting the boy. Not at all. It's not really about an eating disorder for those of you that shy away from those books. It's about how you see yourself and that voice inside of you, whether you hear it or listen to it or not. I found it to be an incredibly moving story with some insights that I myself needed to read and learn.

This is a clean read and recommended for teens and adults. 

I won this ARC from the author. I was not compensated for my review. The opinions expressed in this review are my own.

You can  contact the author at YA Muses or Website, Twitter or Facebook

Heather

8 comments:

  1. wow, this book should be read by adults and teens. I don't think most people are content with what they have and what they are, we always want more. Great review. I have a copy and since it is short I will try to read it soon!

    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a short story, not a novella but a quick read. Read it in a couple of hours. I'd look down and think that was 50 pages? It's not really about being content with what you have but being happy with who you are. People that think it's just about losing weight are so missing the message.

      Delete
  2. Oh yep, this is definitely a book that can be read by Teens and Adult alike, and it's just as important for every woman/Girl out there who ever felt bad about herself. There are tons of woman who feel just like Eve! This seems like a really great story for e delicate issue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I finished this novel, I thought of all the women in my life that needed to read this novel. It's not about weight but that voice telling you, you aren't good enough. I don't know when it starts, but I know so many of us have that voice. It holds us back from ever trying, anything. When Ever confronted Skinny, that was such a powerful moment for me. It was very liberating for me.

      Delete
  3. This one does sound like an important book for today. It's like if we reach perfection we will finally be happy. Only problem is that perfection is non-existent. Great book to show how the inner person is important and shouldn't be ignored. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got it! We need to stop listening to that inner voice that tells us we have to be more or that we aren't enough. But the way Donna Cooner portrays that inner voice is so amazing, it will make you take a deep breath and listen to what her story is saying. I truly cried. Perfectionists everywhere will have that weight shattered when they read this novel.

      Delete
  4. I love that you clear up that it's not just about an eating disorder but the view we have of ourselves. It makes the book sound even more interesting.

    - Jessica @ Book Sake

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have this book on my shelf. I usually don't like issue books but I like the whole concept. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva