Monday, September 17, 2012

Starling by Lesley Livingston Review

Starling

by Lesley Livingston
Goodreads Summary:
Mason Starling is a champion fencer on the Gosforth Academy team, but she's never had to fight for her life. Not until the night a ferocious, otherworldly storm rips through Manhattan, trapping Mason and her teammates inside the school. Mason is besieged by nightmarish creatures more terrifying than the thunder and lightning as the raging tempest also brings a dangerous stranger into her life: a young man who remembers nothing but his name--the Fennrys Wolf. His arrival tears Mason's world apart, even as she feels an undeniable connection to him. Together, they seek to unravel the secrets of Fenn's identity as strange and supernatural forces gather around them. When they discover Mason's family--with its dark allegiance to ancient Norse gods--is at the heart of the mystery, Fennrys and Mason are suddenly faced with a terrifying future.

Set against the gritty, shadowed back-drop of New York City, this first novel in award-winning author Lesley Livingston's epic Starling Saga is an intoxicating blend of sweeping romance and pulse-pounding action.

I'm not quite sure how this one seems to have slipped under everyone's radar but I thought it was fantastic once I got a chance to read it. This is new stuff- Norse mythology which I know next to nothing about. Vikings, Asgard, Odin, Thor, Loki and that's about it. I don't know who is good or bad or anything else. But this was a really gripping novel! It starts with a bang with fencing practice being interrupted by a hellacious storm and I do mean hellacious with monsters that look like they come from that very place. And a beautiful naked man wielding a sword that can kill these monsters with one blow. He puts the fencers to shame as they cower behind him, all but Mason Starling, daughter to Gunnar Starling sister to Rothgar and Rory. When you meet Rothgar, you're going to want him to have his own series or at least have a lot more time in the story. Biker guy, very protective of his little sis and able to appease the very volatile and demanding Gunnar Starling, yeah,Fennrys Wolf was very swoon worthy, but so was Rothgar

So, you've got a bunch of Vikings, actually descendants of them, stinking rich and they know how to use swords. Rory and Mason attend an elite prep school that make elite schools we've previous read about look like public school. There's a boy with a distinctly Greek sounding name and his mother and Gunnar get into a fight after the monsters attack the school. Hmmm, Vikings, Greeks....Just think on that. And then there's the Fennrys Wolf who is inexplicably drawn to Mason and she to him. The problem is, Fenn cannot remember anything before that night. He has nightmare and wisps of memories, but nothing is clear to him. And then there are the pesky monsters that are constantly chasing he and Mason, trying to kill them.

I tell you, I was flipping pages so fast I wasn't sure if I had read the last words on the previous pages before I had started the next page.  I've never read Lesley Livingston's Wondrous Strange series, but I am going to read it now. She knows how to tell a story. I think I was holding my breath at the end. The characters, Fenn and Mason are revealed to us and yet held back. We don't get to see what they don't know so it's hard to truly know them. But we know the mettle they are made of and they are our kind of people.

I loved this book! I cannot wait for the next in the series. This one ended on a big cliffhanger, but I don't feel like I'm dangling if that makes any sense. You'll just have to read it to see what I mean. I loved the Nordic mythology. I love Valkyries and anything to do with them, though they weren't specifically in this novel, I have a feeling it's only a matter of time. There were other mythologies sprinkled in as well so the lore could become very complex. But in a genre that is full of Greek Gods and Goddesses, this Nordic mythology is a welcome addition! And definitely worth reading for the fast paced action, the family intrigue and Rothgar!

Heather

14 comments:

  1. I agree!! I have no idea why the hype sourrouding this book is not higher, because it was fanfreakingtastic!! I loved the setting, the characters and the plot. There was not one minute in the book that bored me!! And.. I looove and adore Fen...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right?!! It was so awesome! Mason so did not need to be rescued, she was a girl that could fight with a sword and hung out with the Fennrys Wolf! And all that Nordic folklore...Fantastic. I have a crush on Roth, guess you could tell, huh!

      Delete
  2. I heard about this book a while back and have been wanting to read it ever since but never saw reviews for it. Glad to hear that it's good and I'll definitely be trying harder to get my hands on a copy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, it's definitely worth reading! Make sure you find it! It is definitely a great time!

      Delete
  3. Great review!! this type of mythology sounds really good! I've always been a fan of different types of mythology. and ugh a big cliffhanger? but it still sounds amazing

    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a fairly big cliffhanger, but something happens after to make you feel a bit relieved. So...it's one of those well I don't know what happened here but I know a piece of the puzzle. And yes, it's absolutely fantastic to have a different type of folklore! I'm so happy authors are venturing into new territories!

      Delete
  4. I've read mixed reviews about this one. The problem seems to be the shakey world building at least that's the trend that I've been seeing, but you didn't have any problems with the book's world so that's good. There's something about this book that isn't grabbing my attention now, but I'll put it on my maybe list and come back to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, no I didn't have any trouble with the world building. There's a great mix of folklores, but because Fennrys has a complete lack of memory there are only snatches of the most prominent world. And then there is the world that Mason's family is embroiled in and that's unfolded nicely. I thought the world was really well done.

      Delete
  5. I've been wanting to read her last series. Looks like I'll be wanting to read this one too. I like it when a book makes you wonder why there isn't more hype around it. Means it was surprisingly good! :) I also like Norse mythology. That and your love of this book has put it firmly on my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, me too Melissa. I even think I have the whole series. And I've read how good the series is. But this one I loved because it was Norse mythology, something that isn't really written about much (or I've missed it) and I LOVED it. There are only three or four reviews on Amazon and they didn't love it like me. But to me it was Fresh and New and Fast Paced. I just loved it and highly recommend it!

      Delete
  6. I have this on my WL but haven't heard much about it. I'm so happy to hear it was amazing! I cant wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. AHHHHHH! I CAN'T WAIT TO READ THIS HEATHER! So excited you loved it, I've had my eye on it for a long time and was hoping it was going to be awesome. I haven't read her Wondrous Strange series either, so this will be my first Livingston book, and based on your review, not my last. *happy dance*

    ReplyDelete
  8. vikings sound new and different! very cool cover too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never read anything by Livingston. You had me sold at the academy, gritty NY, and vikings! I'm so getting this. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete

This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva