Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Alice in Zombieland by Gena Showalter A Review

Alice in Wonderland (The White Rabbit Chronicles)    by Gena Showalter

Amazon, Kindle, Audible, Barnes and Noble, Indiebound

Goodreads Summary:

She won’t rest until she’s sent every walking corpse back to its grave. Forever.
Had anyone told Alice Bell that her entire life would change course between one heartbeat and the next, she would have laughed. From blissful to tragic, innocent to ruined? Please. But that’s all it took. One heartbeat. A blink, a breath, a second, and everything she knew and loved was gone.
Her father was right. The monsters are real….
To avenge her family, Ali must learn to fight the undead. To survive, she must learn to trust the baddest of the bad boys, Cole Holland. But Cole has secrets of his own, and if Ali isn’t careful, those secrets might just prove to be more dangerous than the zombies….
I wish I could go back and do a thousand things differently.
I'd tell my sister no.

I'd never beg my mother to talk to my dad.
I'd zip my lips and swallow those hateful words.
Or, barring all of that, I'd hug my sister, my mom and my dad one last time.
I'd tell them I love them.
I wish... Yeah, I wish.


Okay, so Gena Showalter has already been dabbling in the YA world with her Intertwined series (hmm I need to finish that series). It was pretty tame, at least the first one was for Gena Showalter. But maybe she was just testing the waters. This one, this one has all the sizzle YA can handle along with the signature fights and strong female characters she's known for. And yes, it's got drama, but this is high school, who doesn't have drama in high school?

First, I didn't know if I was going to like Ali, but oh yes, I loved her from the start. Whether she was indulging her little sis Emma or talking to her friend Kat she was sweet and caring or dishing it right back. Anyone else would have fallen apart from the loss that Ali suffered and the subsequent developments, but she was almost stronger because of it because she finally, belatedly understood her father. And wow, what a nightmare he had been living. Now Ali keeps the night time watch.

An unusual connection with bad boy Cole freaks them both out for several days in a row, but Ali becomes a bit obsessed with him, trying to figure out what is happening. And that's when her world goes completely crazy. Trying to tell Cole what she sees without actually telling him is almost impossible but she doesn't want to sound....well, like her dad. She regrets all those times she thought he was crazy.

Gena Showalter does a nice job of balancing Ali's loss with the discovery of her new world, new friends and allies,  and a new romance. No insta love!! I never expected anything less from such a seasoned romance writer. The lore around the zombies is...well it's not as creepy as I usually find zombies. I actually found it interesting and I can't wait to learn more.  It seems there will be more heartbreak to come, but one thing was put to rest for which I was glad.

Cole is not the bad boy everyone thinks he is, but because of his "hobby" zombie fighting, he's always bruised and broken as are his friends, so assumptions are made that he is in a fight club of some kind or always getting into fights. He actually leads a ragtag band of zombie slayers. Other notable characters are Frosty who is in love with Kat. The barbs Kat throws at Frosty could probably slay a few zombies even though she knows nothing about it. She is a fantastic side character. 

Oh and the villains! There are more than the zombies! A company that collects the zombies the slayers slow down and do horrible experiments on them. And they have recruits in high school. Lots of lies and betrayals. But like I said, it's high school, always drama.

I had so much fun reading this novel! I cannot wait for the next one in the series. I feel like there was closure but plenty was left open for the next book and the next. I'm glad I purchased this one so I can read it again. I love books with just the right amount of romance, friendship, heartbreak and zombie killing. This one had everything! I highly recommend this one for an enjoyable read.

Oh, I did forget to mention the Alice in Wonderland references. I loved searching them out! There were several, some more obvious than others and it was fun to see where they led. I'll be looking forward to more of that in the next novel. You'll definitely see the white rabbit!

I'd recommend this one for the older crowd, 15 and up just for the sizzle in the romance and some suggestive talk. I purchased my copy of the book for my own enjoyment and review.

Heather

In case you haven't noticed, I'm not really around these days. I'm taking a little break, getting a bit of a tune up in the medication department. I'm trying to honor my commitments and that's about it until I feel more like myself. That's why I'm not responding to comments or hopping around to your blog. Don't feel slighted, I'll be back in a bit and not so testy and irritable. You might even like me more! I know I will! I'll be back!

2 comments:

  1. Oh I really wanted this one, but oh! I want it so much more now. No insta-love? WIN! Ali is kick @ss and you loved her from the start? WIN! Oh this book looks like it is so full of WIN! I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Between yours and Jenny's reviews I really want to give this a shot. And I need that gorgeous cover on my shelf!

    BTW, my kindle isn't letting me reply to your email for some reason, but of course its fine if you link to my blog! No need to even ask!

    ReplyDelete

This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva