Monday, October 1, 2012

Every Day by David Levithan A Review

Every Day by David Levithan
Amazon, Kindle, AudioBook, Audible
Barnes and Noble
Goodreads Summary:
There’s never any warning about where it will be or who it will be. A has made peace with that, even established guidelines by which to live: Never get too attached. Avoid being noticed. Do not interfere.
It’s all fine until the morning that A wakes up in the body of Justin and meets Justin’s girlfriend, Rhiannon. From that moment, the rules by which A has been living no longer apply. Because finally A has found someone he wants to be with—day in, day out, day after day.

Have you read Every Day yet? It was really unexpected for me. I had no idea that this concept, a soul that slips in and out of a body day after day, a different body, never the same one twice, I just didn't expect it to be able to impact me like it did. You too? What got you? For me it was A's ability to exist  as anyone. Girl, boy, black, white, Asian, Hispanic, jock, nerd, gorgeous, ugly, morbidly obese, plain, smart,caustic, suicidal. That, that was the one that broke through all my barriers and put me right there in the story. A has to experience all of these people's lives as they are. He can't change them in a day. So when he wakes up in the body of a girl that is deeply depressed he talks about his past experiences being in a body that is fighting mental illness. (I use he and yet there is no gender, only that of the body A inhabits each day.) That's the part that gets me. It's the page and a half before, that describes what mental illness is. It was an "Aha moment" for me and I've lived with mental illness my entire life (since 4th grade). I actually bought the book so I could quote the page so forgive me. This is paraphrasing pages 116-117

Some people think mental illness is a matter of mood, a matter of personality.
It is, they believe, something that you have some choice over.
I know how wrong this is.
....the cause of the feelings was a matter of chemistry, biology.
It is a hard cycle to conquer. It takes uncommon strength to live with these things.
But I have seen that strength over and over again.
I have to keep reminding myself---this is not me. It is chemistry. It is biology.
It is not who I am. It is not who any of them are.

Now, you might want to know why did that pull me into the story? Because I could identify with the character A had become. I knew exactly what A was talking about though I'd never considered myself strong. The "Aha Moment" was Chemical Imbalance=Feelings. It's incredibly hard to understand and yet I have to remind myself that's what it is when that little tape starts playing telling me all the negative feelings and the downward spiral starts. Chemicals, that's what causes that. It's still hard to believe even though I live with it. But more than that. Someone understood me. A knew who I was, am. A has lived my life probably several days. And it almost made me cry that someone understood what every day is like for me. I don't know how David Levithan knew the right words, but he said what I wish I could have said so many times. Only he got the words so perfect.  It reads like poetry to me it's so true and beautifully stated.

So, I identified with A about a third of the way through. But, actually, I'd already started identifying with him much earlier. How can you not identify with someone who is everyone and no one? I admired the hell out of A. For never caring what kind of relationship A was in.  The how and why was less important than the lesson. A just accepted anyone. Wanting something for himself/herself, some sameness, it would seem that wouldn't be too much to ask. And to want and love something so much, was amazing to read about. There is a slight bit of mystery in the book, and the ending is a bit heartbreaking but you know it's coming. There just isn't another answer because A is all giving, unselfish, and in the end, all accepting of the situation of it's life

I challenge you to read Every Day. Find your Aha Moment. See which character you identify with, or maybe characters. And maybe see the world through A's eyes. Seeing the similarities in us all, instead of the differences. Find your Every Day in the book. There may be a passage in there or two that speaks to you as much as the one about mental illness did to me. There are a lot of Every Days. When you find yours, share it with me.

This book is recommended for YA readers and adults. I received a complimentary copy of the ARC from the publishers for review from NetGalley, but I also purchased my own copy.
I highly recommend this novel.



  1. Wow! Christy over at Loves Books was raving about this one as well. I was trying to win a copy off her since I am not supposed to be book hoarding.....Anyway I love that this book spoke to you. Isn't it cool when you find that special read that touches your soul and speaks right to you? Awesome review. I will definitely be getting just to find the time to read it! Thanks bunches for stopping by my blog! Have a great week, I will try and be by this week, last week was too crazy!

  2. I have a copy and I'm very interested to give this unique novel a try-I just have to go through a stack of other books first! Can't wait for my aha moment :)

  3. Loved this review, Heather. This has been on my tbr pile for a while and I'm definitely going to bump it up higher. If you liked this one by Levithan, definitely pick "Lover's Dictionary" which I loved last year.

  4. This was a phenomenal books! There is so much beauty in this book I can never even express with words! So happy you loved it too hon! *hugs*

  5. Oh I love books with Aha moments! I am curious about this book as it would seem that he would end up with no prejudices and total blinders off. Oh that makes me curious right there. I am so going to have to get this book!!

  6. I can't wait to read this one! It'll be my first Levithan read and I've heard SO many good things about him, so I'm glad you enjoyed it this much. I think it'll be something entirely new and unique from the usual amongst the crowd of YA Novels. Wonderful review!(:

    Ivy Book Bindings

  7. I absolutely loved this book! The premise of it was so interesting to me that I had to get it and once I started reading it, I didn't want to put it down. It's going on my list of favorite reads this year. Loved your review Heather :-) :-)


This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva