Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Mystic City by Theo Lawrence Review

Mystic City by Theo Lawrence
Amazon, Kindle, Barnes and Noble
Goodreads Summary:
For fans of Matched, The Hunger Games, X-Men, and Blade Runner comes a tale of a magical city divided, a political rebellion ignited, and a love that was meant to last forever. Book One of the Mystic City Novels.
Aria Rose, youngest scion of one of Mystic City's two ruling rival families, finds herself betrothed to Thomas Foster, the son of her parents' sworn enemies. The union of the two will end the generations-long political feud—and unite all those living in the Aeries, the privileged upper reaches of the city, against the banished mystics who dwell below in the Depths. But Aria doesn't remember falling in love with Thomas; in fact, she wakes one day with huge gaps in her memory. And she can't conceive why her parents would have agreed to unite with the Fosters in the first place. Only when Aria meets Hunter, a gorgeous rebel mystic from the Depths, does she start to have glimmers of recollection—and to understand that he holds the key to unlocking her past. The choices she makes can save or doom the city—including herself. 

Okay, I read this book looking for something new and fresh, something really different. That's what dystopians are supposed to be, right? You can create any kind of world you want. Well, the world was different. People live high above the streets in the Aeries, kind of like birds, above all the trash and grime and real world. No matter that the city is slowly drowning. It doesn't bother them because they live high above it all. Aria Rose, eh, I couldn't get behind her. I felt like she was such a people pleaser for so long before she finally opened her eyes. I mean come on, how many times do you have to see certain things to put two and two together. I could tell from the summary what was going on. And by the way, they should never put that much information in the summary. It just kind of ruins the suspense for the reader.

So I was annoyed with Aria Rose. Thomas is a total tool. Aria's brother, no her whole family should be dropped off the side of a bridge. Her dad is the most ruthless man I've seen yet. Family means nothing to him. I guess because it took so long for Aria to figure things out, I was just too impatient with the story. The last part of the book was totally unexpected and redeemed the book for me somewhat, but reading through so many pages and yelling, "Come on!" was entirely frustrating.

I do want to note that I have had trouble completing books and enjoying them lately due to my mental status and this could have completely affected my reading of this book. I really didn't want to review this book but feel obligated because I took a copy from NetGalley. So, I really wouldn't take my opinion as a really unbiased one regarding this book. I think I'd have been annoyed at anyone at that point in my reading. So before I post it anywhere. I'm going to read it again and see if my opinion changes. I'll let you know soon. I read this about a month ago. I'll give it a few weeks and see how I feel.


I noticed Supernatural Snark did a great review of Mystic City. You might want to read her review before you decide if you want to read it. We are generally on the same page as far as books go.  I very much feel this was more about me than the book. Heather

Uh, in case you hadn't noticed, I'm not really blogging right now. I'm finding it a bit overwhelming at the moment. Thanks for understanding (that is I hope you do.)


7 comments:

  1. I actually really loved this one. I know that it was hard for her to piece things together but I don't think she had enough information so it didn't bother me much. I loved the setting and world and loved that Aria didn't just do what she told, she followed her heart and rebelled. And I thought the romance was great. I had a lot figured out but I didn't feel like it was suppose go be a secret. I didn't read the description before hand though and so I had no expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We chatted about this one Heather, I'm sorry it didn't work quite as well for you. You know I was a huge fan of this one and that getting the information up front from the blub and prologue didn't bother me at all, I actually kind of liked it that way because I kept anticipating Aria figuring everything out:)

    Hope you're enjoying your time off blogging, and I look forward to having you back full time when you're feeling up to it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your points are valid, even if you felt it was elevated. Love the fact that you were so honest. That is why I like all kinds of views on the same thing. Only way to figure out if it is for you. I appreciate your view and if the characters bugged me like they did you, it might be lessened now that I am warned. :) I do have to say, tho... I love this cover. That alone makes me want to pick it up. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read a LOT of reviews bringing up the same points you did, so I think I'll be skipping this one. It seems as if I'd have the same issues that you had with it and I'm one of those readers for whom characters are a make-it-or-break-it deal, so off my TBR-Pile this one goes. Wonderful review though! :)

    ~Keertana
    Ivy Book Bindings

    ReplyDelete
  5. The way you describe the family, it sounds like a dystopian Boleyn family which sounds pretty interesting! Thanks for sharing your review!

    Amber Elise @ Du Livre

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sure love that cover, but I go nuts when I can't get behind the characters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sad it wasn't for you. But. I know what you mean sometimes (or.. often) reading it totally affected by the mood. :) *hugs*

    ReplyDelete

This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva