Friday, October 26, 2012

The Lost Prince by Julie Kagawa Review

The Lost Prince by Julie Kagawa
Amazon, Kindle, Barnes and Noble, Indiebound
Goodreads Summary:
Don’t look at Them. Never let Them know you can see Them.
That is Ethan Chase’s unbreakable rule. Until the fey he avoids at all costs—including his reputation—begin to disappear, and Ethan is attacked. Now he must change the rules to protect his family. To save a girl he never thought he’d dare to fall for.
Ethan thought he had protected himself from his older sister’s world—the land of Faery. His previous time in the Iron Realm left him with nothing but fear and disgust for the world Meghan Chase has made her home, a land of myth and talking cats, of magic and seductive enemies. But when destiny comes for Ethan, there is no escape from a danger long, long forgotten.
This novel is one of Julie’s books that will have you demanding for the second one as soon as you finish your read.

*************************************************************************************************************WARNING SPOILERS AHEAD***************************
*********YOU NEED TO HAVE READ ALL OF THE IRON FEY SERIES INCLUDING*********
**********************IRON PROPHECY TO READ THIS REVIEW**********************

First thing you need to know is that this is not a book about Ash, Meghan and Puck. Though they make a brief appearance in the book, this is not their story. This is the next generation and if you go in with that expectation, you will be terribly disappointed like me. I had to adjust my perspective to enjoy the story.

It starts with Ethan with and all his protections and wards against faeries. He's starting a new school with the added burden of the reputation of being a bad boy. All kinds of stories swirl around him from him being an arsonist to stabbing a teacher. None of it is true in complete, just the faeries toying with him. He meets a half breed at his new school making deals and bargains with his fellow faeries and Ethan tries to warn him about making deals with faeries. Then he disappears. And a friend gets dragged into the the lethal faeries chasing him and they end up in NeverNever.

Ethan is angry. Mad at Meghan for leaving his family and choosing the fae over his family. Hating Ash for stealing his sister. He doesn't understand why she doesn't visit more often. He feels forgotten. And he's not very forgiving about it. He has a thing or two to say to Meghan when he gets to the Iron Kingdom. But first he and Kenzie have to get there. Grimalkin is their guide and they must travel through the Wyldwood. Kenzie, instead of being the shrieking hysterical mass I would be, is very accepting of everything she sees and experiences in the NeverNever.

When they have to fight Faeries in the real world and things seem hopeless she's like a ray of sunshine, and the sullen, angry Ethan becomes a bit more of a champion for her. He wants to survive so he can have a relationship with her. Of course, he's not a faery so he has no magic to fight the faeries, but he does have the ancient art of Kali that he has been practicing for years that combines martial arts with weapons for defending oneself. And Ethan is pretty damn good at Kali with a stick and nothing else beating down lindwurms and glamour sucking faeries with claws!

There are the usual battles with the child of Meghan and Ash, Kierran, along on this quest with them. The fae are scary, feeding off the glamour of the fairies. They stick with the half fey and exiles for now, but the only ones completely safe are the Iron Fey and humans. Kierran is not really revealed to us much in this book. He's a bit like Puck in that he only tells part of the story on their adventures. But he isn't funny like him. Ethan, I kept picturing as a brooding Taylor Lautner. (New Moon was on this weekend.)

I really didn't like Ethan even though I understood his anger and he came to terms with it in the end. Even though the story was told from his point of view, I didn't feel as if I got to know him. So I'm waiting to see if maybe it was just that I was missing the camaraderie from Meghan, Ash and Puck. Kierran and Ethan barely know each other and Kenzie is brand new as well. Maybe the three of them will have a grand adventure and I'll feel that kinship I always felt before, like the Three Musketeers. Maybe I wasn't supposed to feel it. Maybe this is going in a very different direction considering the Iron Prophecy and the way Kierran behaved with the Forgotten Queen. I'll have to see.

As far as the new fey, The Forgotten, I have some theories about where they come from and what may happen from here. The threads of the next novels are dangling there in front of us. The Iron Prophecy still present in our minds as Ethan and Kierran interact. It will only be a matter of time before the time presents itself.

The writing was Julie Kagawa  all the way, making the human world seem more mystical and haunting. The words are always image inducing and surreal so that the most mundane place can seem like a magical place.
I envy her writing style. Just remember, This is not the story of Meghan, Ash and Puck. Enjoy!

Heather
I received a copy of this novel from the Publishers via Net Galley for review. This in no way influenced my review. I received no monetary compensation for my review.

4 comments:

  1. I didn't feel like I got to know Ethan all that well either, mostly because he spent so much time pushing everyone away. Still, I'm very interested in his relationship with Meghan and Ash and how that anger is going to come out in later books (I'm guessing she has plans for addressing this given it seems to be vital part of who Ethan is). Lovely review Heather!

    Hope things are going well for you:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well,I am not reading your review yet since I have this coming up in two weeks on my blog, then I will come back and compare notes! Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you. He kept everyone at arms length including me. I got to know him through Kenzie. What also bugged me was the ending and Kerrian! I didn't get that. Okay, I got some of it (what his girlfriend was going through... but still) but too many holes. Still, knowing this author you know you'll get those answers and probably be totally rooting for Ethan in the end. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read past the first book, though I want to read the rest of the series, so I skipped over your review. But I sooo want to read them all!
    - Jessica @ Book Sake

    ReplyDelete

This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva