Thursday, November 15, 2012

Book Signing with the YA Muses You know them Find out who they are!

The YA Muses
So in late October there was a writing workshop down here in Charlotte. I would have loved to have attended, but I could not afford it. The panel of writers was a great group of writers, one of the only writing blogs I follow regularly. Who are they? The YA Muses! Veronica Rossi, Talia Vance, Katherine Longshore,
Donna Cooner and Bret Ballou! I bet you recognize some of those names. The only one I didn't meet was Katherine Longshore, she wasn't able to make it.
So, want to see the pictures? Here ya go!


From the top left going clockwise Veronica Rossi with her book Under The Never Sky.
Me with Donna Cooner author of Skinny (I later found out she doesn't like to be hugged, oops)
Talia Vance with her book Silver and a necklace with a replica of the cover. She has a new book (not the sequel yet) coming out in June called Spies and Prejudice from Egmont.
And the last picture is one of my favorites of Donna Cooner and Bret Ballou. You can see Donna's book Skinny in the foreground. Brett isn't published yet, but he is sure to be published soon. You can't read his blog posts and not realize his talent. I've read some things he left out of novels and they were really good, so I can't wait to read what he does leave in a novel.

The authors were at a huge library in Uptown Charlotte that is not only a library, but a children's theater and has a great studio where families can go together and make films and videos or music to bring stories alive.

The signing was sponsored by Park Road Books one of the very few independent book stores still around in Charlotte.

I cannot tell you how wonderful it was meeting everyone! Donna Cooner and I discussed the frustration at the larger bookstores placing her FICTION book in the NON-FICTION SELF HELP section of the Teens section in the book store. No one is going to find it there. It's not self help!

Then Bret and I talked about what he had going on. He was working on something that he just had to let go of but now it sounds like he's got something he's really happy with and maybe we'll see in a couple of years. (You know how the publishing biz goes.)

This was a really exciting event for me and my youngest son talked to a couple of the authors about writing as well. He's a writer himself (he'll probably be published before me) and they answered his questions with such patience. He keeps asking me when the next book signing is. At least I finally have someone willing to go with me!

I really hope you'll check out the YA Muses Blog sometime. They always have great reviews, updates about their books, guest posts and writing tips. And sometimes there are pictures of pets and even Bret's cute baby.

Thanks Muses for coming to Charlotte. Next time, I'm coming to the seminar with a manuscript!

Heather

13 comments:

  1. I love these pictures, Heather! Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they're great pictures and Jakob, my 12 yr old loved talking to you about how he should find a friend to share his writing with and they should kind of have a little critique group of their own. I read his writing, but we have such different tastes, it's hard. Of course, he'd be the only one in my house interested in reading my book!

      I especially love the picture of you and Bret! You both look so happy!

      Delete
  2. Oh it looks so fun! I love events like that and I'm glad you had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Candace-
      Thanks. I probably hadn't been out of the house in a month other than dr's appts. It was great to get out and see them! I love this group because you can feel how supportive they are of each other. They were like a family. And they were all so sweet to talk to my Jakob about writing. I love author signings especially when a lot of my favorite authors are together! This one was really worth getting out of the house for.

      Heather

      Delete
  3. Thanks for posting about the event, Heather! It was so great meeting you and your son!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jakob is like me, Authors are Rock Stars! So he just gets excited meeting you all. Don't forget to tell Tahereh Mafi how much he loved Shatter Me! (So did I!) And Roar and Liv was awesome! Thanks for letting me know about it!

      Heather

      Delete
  4. I wish I could have been there to get the chance to meet you, Heather! It sounds like it was a fabulous event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry you couldn't make it! You were missed, but it's a great place! You can always try another time. Hope all is well.

      Heather

      Delete
  5. LOVE the pics! You are too beautiful!! Oh what fun! I can see how exciting it would be for your son. Thanks so much for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh he loved it! I should have put him in the pictures. But I don't like having his pictures on the internet. He was grilling them for information though. He's smarter than I am.

      Yeah, they let me out once or twice a year. I am so used to being behind the camera I don't really know how to get my picture taken. Thank you for taking a look. I know my blog has been a little bare lately.

      Heather

      Delete
  6. This looks so fun! Thanks for sharing your pics, Heather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was Carrie! Thanks for taking a look at it!

      Heather

      Delete
  7. I'm glad you had fun at the event! But what I really came to post was WOW, your hair looks FANTASTIC! SO much bounce. I love it :D

    ReplyDelete

This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva