Friday, December 28, 2012

Crimson Frost by Jennifer Estep Review

Crimson Frost by Jennifer Estep
A Mythos Academy Novel
Amazon, Kindle, MP3 Audiobook, AudibleBarnes and Noble, Indiebound
Goodreads Summary:
For a moment, a face flashed before my eyes—the most hideous face I’d ever seen. No matter how hard I tried to forget what had happened, I saw him everywhere I went. It was Loki—the evil god that I’d helped set free against my will.

I should have known that my first official date with Logan Quinn was destined to end in disaster. If we’d gotten into a sword fight, or been ambushed by Reapers, I’d have been more prepared. But getting arrested mid-sip at the local coffee hangout? I didn’t see that one coming.

I’ve been accused of purposely helping the Reapers free Loki from his prison—and the person leading the charge against me is Linus Quinn, Logan’s dad. The worst part is that pretty much everyone at Mythos Academy thinks I’m 
guilty. If I’m going to get out of this mess alive, I’ll have to do it myself…

*******Spoilers for previous books in the Mythos Academy series*****Do not read if you haven't read the others********

I've had some lukewarm reactions to previous Mythos Academy books, the first two, to be honest. The repetitions of what happened in the first book I got tired of. And the repetitions are still in this book but I've learned when they are coming and skip right over them. Only because I know what they are saying. Probably because the books are meant to be able to be stand alones, but you'd do a disservice to yourself if you didn't read the books in order. They build on each story, the mysteries, the romantic tension, the threat of the Reapers. The books, to me, get deeper and richer as they go. By book three, Dark Frost, I am a total convert to this series and stayed up really late into Christmas Eve to finish it so I could start this one.  Now I am waiting with baited breath for it's sequel! This series could go on forever and I'd be happy! 

As it says in the summary the worst has happened and Gwen was there. But if you've read the books you know she did everything she could to stop if from happening. However, on her first real date with Logan, she is arrested by none other than Logan's father, a member of the Protectorate, a group she's never even heard of and what they do to her is unspeakable! It is really bad.

And things only get worse. The whole book is filled with Gwen trying to prove her innocence with her friends supporting her. She only has a few days to figure out what her arch nemesis is up to and to foil her plans, the Reapers plans. But she really seems like she might be over her head in this one. I'd never count the ever resourceful Gwen out, despite her rather extreme tactics to save her friends and defeat the Reapers. But their is a little heartbreak at the end. It doesn't spoil the ending. Grandma Frost knows how to heal the heart with yummy desserts and heaps of love. But Gwen may not heal from this broken heart right away.

This is the strongest novel in the series so far and I highly recommend the series for all lovers of mythologies of all kinds. Gwen is a gypsy but her boyfriend is a Spartan, her best friend is a Valkyrie and the God let loose is a Norse God-Loki. So it's an incredibly well told story with a mix of adults and students battling the bad guys using their special skills that vary greatly. There's a bit of romance, lots of mystery, battles, betrayals, loyal friendships. Read the series!!

Heather

7 comments:

  1. i can;t wait 4 my copy . gr8 review

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is AWESOME! So creative as always and Gwen goes to even greater heights to save everyone, again! Hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  2. I have heard so much good about this series, I am sold.
    Happy reading,
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll like it. It's definitely a series that grew on me. The first book was just okay for me but each successive book has pulled me in further and further. I also knew that Jenny from Supernatural Snark loves the author's work so I knew I just needed to give it a chance. Hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  3. Yeah! I thought this was the strongest of the series thus far too Heather! I just can't get enough of Jennifer Estep, she can do no wrong for me. The ending of this book just about killed me, I need the next book so things can work themselves out in the way I want them to ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny you and me both! But it wasn't like a cliffhanger ending which I LOVE about her books. I HATE cliffhangers. Gwen is such a great character. She may not have all the gifts or money as the other students, but she never feels ashamed or whines. I love that about her. Now, lets get that ending fixed up! How long do we have to wait? :(

      Delete
  4. There must be something wrong with me because I actually didn't like this one as much as the others. It felt like I was reading the same thing over again. I have been in such a funk lately.

    ReplyDelete

This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva