Monday, December 17, 2012

Opal by Jennifer Armentrout a Review

Opal by Jennifer Armentrout
Amazon, Kindle, Barnes and Noble, Indiebound
Goodreads-
No one is like Daemon Black.

When he set out to prove his feelings for me, he wasn’t fooling around. Doubting him isn’t something I’ll do again, and now that we’ve made it through the rough patches, well... There’s a lot of spontaneous combustion going on.
But even he can’t protect his family from the danger of trying to free those they love.
After everything, I’m no longer the same Katy. I’m different... And I’m not sure what that will mean in the end. When each step we take in discovering the truth puts us in the path of the secret organization responsible for torturing and testing hybrids, the more I realize there is no end to what I’m capable of. The death of someone close still lingers, help comes from the most unlikely source, and friends will become the deadliest of enemies, but we won’t turn back. Even if the outcome will shatter our worlds forever.
Together we’re stronger... and they know it.

*******Spoilers from the other books in this series***********************************

Wow! First I absolutely hate the cliffhanger ending. I know everything was pointing to it and you knew something was going to happen, but I hated it! There, that was the only thing wrong with the novel. (Oh and see the last paragraph).

Everything else was absolutely A+! I got the novel today and finished it half an hour ago. I so love the witty banter between Kat also known as Kitten and Daemon. Love that the pen poke is still there (please don't take that away!) and now that things have gotten a little more serious in the sex department, you can really feel the depth of Katy and Daemon's relationship. God to have a guy like that worship me and make me laugh!

The fallout from Adam's death hasn't even begun to heal and Dee and Katy aren't the friends they used to be. Everyone is subdued despite the fact that Dawson is back, but he isn't the same without Beth. And the DOD still has Beth. The majority of the plot in this novel is about how to rescue Beth from a certain facility where they know she is. How they know she's there and the help they get in getting in and getting out is by using an old adversary. And one that they aren't sure they can trust. But there is little choice.

Other adversaries show up as well and Katy finds out what she's made of, if she can kill in self defense, kill to protect the ones she loves, kill someone who truly deserves to die. She grapples with who she is and what she's become and is afraid she's lost her moral compass.

Despite looming missions into what could be a death sentence for them, they try to carry on normal lives. Daemon and Katy try to have real dates and spend time together but get interrupted incessantly, much to the anger of Daemon and the humor of Katy. But eventually, they get their time together to straighten out their relationship in a most unexpected way.

There was a lot more Katy and Daemon together in this one and when they were together they talked about real things instead of bickering. Daemon was protective and concerned. Katy still made stupid decisions which is getting old. I guess that's another thing that's wrong if I had to say something was wrong with the novel. Hasn't she learned by now? She isn't as fast as the Luxen so why does she insist on going on these missions where she's a liability instead of an asset? I know she's worried about Daemon but really, he can take care of himself.

So there will be another book, but please, let's get Katy making smart decisions for once. Stay behind when she's not up to the task. Tell the truth. If she has a funny feeling, voice it. If Creepy McKreepy comes back, tell someone. Stop needing to be rescued! The damsel in distress routine is getting old.

7 comments:

  1. Another cliffhanger? NOOOOOOOOOOO! She writes some epic ones, the ending of Deity nearly killed me. I have only read the first book in this series, so I think I'm going to jut wait until all the books are out to get caught up. That way the cliffhangers won't bother me at all:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm beginning to think I'm going to wait for the rest because the cliffies are totally killing me! I died with this one! I'm waiting for the whole series you are reading to finish before I read it! I just can't stand the cliffies!

      Delete
  2. I needs this one and Onyx! NEEDS I tells ya! NEEDS! ;)

    I am surprised that Katy is in such need of saving because her females tend to be at least somewhat competent. Still... Cliffie???? NOOOOoooOOOOooooOOOOoooooo! WHY? Still needs it. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has her good times where she comes through, but sometimes, and in the most important times, she really screws things up.

      Delete
  3. I'm dreading the cliffhanger but that's about it. I'm SO glad the bickering is over. In the previous books it was really pissing me off so this one should be WAY better for me! I hope to get this one soon....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I really loved the bickering! I thought it was fun. I can read the first book over and over and over again! I totally loved it.

      Delete
  4. I'm behind on this series! I enjoyed the first one, and from the sound of it, it gets better. I need to catch up!
    Great review :)

    ReplyDelete

This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva