Monday, December 31, 2012

Splintered by A.G. Howard A Review

Splintered by A.G. Howard
Amazon, Kindle, Paperback, Barnes and Noble, Indiebound
Author Contacts
Blog, Twitter, Facebook, Goodreads, Pinterest
Goodreads Summary:
This stunning debut captures the grotesque madness of a mystical under-land, as well as a girl’s pangs of first love and independence. Alyssa Gardner hears the whispers of bugs and flowers—precisely the affliction that landed her mother in a mental hospital years before. This family curse stretches back to her ancestor Alice Liddell, the real-life inspiration for Lewis Carroll’s Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. Alyssa might be crazy, but she manages to keep it together. For now.
When her mother’s mental health takes a turn for the worse, Alyssa learns that what she thought was fiction is based in terrifying reality. The real Wonderland is a place far darker and more twisted than Lewis Carroll ever let on. There, Alyssa must pass a series of tests, including draining an ocean of Alice’s tears, waking the slumbering tea party, and subduing a vicious bandersnatch, to fix Alice’s mistakes and save her family. She must also decide whom to trust: Jeb, her gorgeous best friend and secret crush, or the sexy but suspicious Morpheus, her guide through Wonderland, who may have dark motives of his own.

Wow, I think I said when I finished this one. Then I hurriedly ordered it so I could make sure I got it as soon as it came out. This book is really unbelievable. Really! It's definitely a fantasy but it's part mystery or should I say riddle and it's one magical, crazy, wild ride. I loved reading this novel so much I really didn't want it to end. Believe it or not, I was hoping all things wouldn't be resolved in this first novel. I was even okay with a cliffie, but not to worry. There is a definite ending.

So what made it so special? First, there is Alyssa. You really can't not like her. She's tough, grown up without a mother since she was five after a traumatic accident involving her mother. Her mother is in an asylum and talks to flowers and insects. She completely buys into the Alice in Wonderland theme wearing the clothes and the braids and she will only eat out of teacups. But Alyssa endures weekly visits to the asylum with her dad to see her mom which may or may not end with her drugged into a zombie like state. But, Alyssa has a  disturbing kind of macabre artistic medium, bugs, that she uses to create landscapes. She stabs them with pins while they are living. Yeah, that's part of her dark side. But you see, Alyssa and her mother Alice are both part of the Liddel family and they have a supposed curse on them. Alyssa throughout the novel shows the struggle she has between the dark and light sides of herself and how trying to balance the two can drive one to madness. But, there is a secret to that, too. So many secrets.

Then there is Jeb. Good old next door neighbor, but he's not the all American boy. Not exactly a bad boy, but he isn't afraid to threaten, cajole, make a girl swoon, basically do anything to get what he wants. He has a lip piercing and works at the skate park. He also fixes Alyssa's car. And dates a mean girl. :( But he watches out for Alyssa and is the big brother of Alyssa's best friend Jenna. Can't say anything else without ruining the book! He's a good guy and we like him despite Tae. Blech!

And then there is Morpheus who I will forever picture as Johnny Depp. I can't see anyone else but him when I read about him. He's just charming enough to pull off the things he does and get away with them. You never know if a lie or the truth is slipping off his tongue but whatever it is, it's twisted around some kind of riddle that Alyssa will have to figure out and just when she thinks she's lifted the curse on her family, the tables turn. And she has to fight that side of her that is drawn to the darkness that is Morpheus, or maybe she needs to give in to it once and for all. She just doesn't know.

The writing, it is fabulous. You feel as turned around and twisted as the story is and Alyssa must feel.  Some of it is nonsensical just like in Alice in Wonderland, but then you find there is an actual depth to the riddles that are spoken. And then some things are left out of the riddles for Alyssa to discover on her own. This is fantasy and it's crazy good!  It was just so much fun to read and get turned around. I was as mad (as in twisted) as Alyssa and I just kind of grabbed onto her petticoat and hung on for the ride. So, so much fun! Sorry to say but much better than Alice in Wonderland! (Don't hate me!) The only thing I wish was that there had been pictures in the ARC. Though there might be in the novel. 

Go buy it! Read it! Review it! Then you'll probably want to read it again. I know I do. But I really wanted to write a good review so other people would read this novel. There is some suggestive language in the novel, but other than that nothing else for parents to worry about. Oh and the soundtrack that A.G. Howard created to go along with the novel is perfect. Might want to listen to it while you're reading it if you can listen to music and read. I will be thinking of this novel for days and weeks to come. It's fascinating!

I received an E-ARC from the publisher through NetGalley for a fair and honest review. This did not influence my opinions in any way.

Enjoy!
Heather

8 comments:

  1. Um. Heather? I think I really need to read this. Like immediately. I was sold on this one based on the cover alone, but your review has me even more excited. Bad boy next door with a lip piercing? YES PLEASE:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um, yes Jenny and then there is Morpheus. Very sexy and seductive. Lots of almost moments. You need this book. But, it is NOT Alice in Wonderland. So if you're a purist (I know you aren't) don't expect Alice in Wonderland.

      Enjoy it!

      Delete
  2. Johnny Deep, you say? Well, you definitely have my attention now! JD and I have a history, heh so I'm going to check this one out. Thanks for the nice visual. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was the only one I could picture when Morpheus was in the scene. I was in love and mad at him and wanted to hug him, too. It was just all so crazy. Your feelings for him will be all over the place. But I think you'll love it if you love fantasy and let go of the real Alice in Wonderland. Put it out of your mind.

      Delete
  3. I have read loads of almost negative reviews on this book so I had removed it from my wishlist but wow, now I'm rethinking it... or maybe I will seek it out at the library sooner. So glad you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Negative reviews? Really? I guess if you want it to be Alice in Wonderland, you'll be disappointed. I didn't remember Alice in Wonderland so I just read it with no expectations except to be entertained. A.G. Howard is very creative on her blog and I expected nothing less. It was wild and crazy and I loved every minute of it. It was so wonderful! Don't skip it! All the Urban Fantasy you read and Paranormal stuff you read, you'll love it!

      Delete
  4. This was the FIRST YA love triangle that I think worked. I loved this book too and really enjoyed it as well. I so loved Morpheus. Oh man... I want that next book. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know! It was so hard not to love him. I did love him because you know it's fun to give in to the dark side isn't it?? And he's so delicious!!! But then there's Jeb with that piercing and those muscles. Yum! I'm so glad you loved it too!

      Heather

      Delete

This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva