Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Tempestuous by Kim Askew and Amy Helmes

Tempestuous (A Twisted Lit Novel) by Kim Askew and Amy Helmes 
Merit Press
Amazon, Kindle, Barnes and Noble, Indiebound
Goodreads:
Recently banished, unfairly, by the school’s popular crowd, former “it girl,” Miranda Prospero, finds herself in a brave new world: holding dominion amongst a rag-tag crew of geeks and misfits where she works at the Hot-Dog Kabob in the food court of her local mall. When the worst winter storm of the season causes mall workers and last-minute shoppers to be snowed-in for the night, Miranda seizes the opportunity to get revenge against the catty clique behind her social exile. With help from her delightfully dweeby coworker, Ariel, and a sullen loner named Caleb who works at the mall’s nearby gaming and magic shop, Miranda uses charm and trickery to set things to right during this spirited take on Shakespeare’s The Tempest.

While I don't remember The Tempest that well I do recall a storm, isolation, and romance. Tempestuous had it all. It was a lighthearted contemporary romance and mystery that kept me entertained me while reading it. It wasn't taxing to read so it's just the thing to read for the holidays or a great beach read especially if you're heading somewhere sunny for the holidays.

Miranda Prospero used to be one of the popular crowd but has fallen from grace due to a tutoring scheme gone awry. Now not even the geeks won't talk to her. But at the food court, where she's working, she reigns as a queen among the lowly public school kids and most especially with her pixie like co-worker. (Wasn't there a pixie in The Tempest?) It's fun to watch Miranda at work. She's got a scheme for everything and an ego as big as the snowstorm outside that has the food court workers and a few of Miranda's ex-friends stuck in the mall overnight with a dangerous thief.

While Miranda's ex- friends hole up down at the richer end of the mall with all the best bedding and food, arming themselves with BB guns, Miranda and her co-workers decide to launch a counter attack to get the supplies they need. All while handcuffed to a nerdy gamer named Caleb. (Long story, read the book)! During this time,  Miranda plays matchmaker, sleuth, supply coordinator, entertainment director and most of all, revenge taker and she finds herself falling for someone other than her ex. But when her ex comes crawling back, it's really hard for her to say no to her old lifestyle.

As I said, I don't know how much this sticks to The Tempest because I don't remember it, but it was enjoyable to read and a great holiday read especially because the troops get snowed in for a night. You'd be amazed how much entertainment a food court can provide. Think Jenga with frozen hot dogs. I have another novel to read by these two authors called Exposure that I can't wait to dive into that released next month.

Very clean read. Recommended for anyone that enjoys contemporary YA literature.

Thanks to the authors for a review copy of the novel in return for a review. This in no way influenced my opinion.

Heather

7 comments:

  1. Ah so i have been on the fence. First I saw the cover and wanted to read it, then I read the synopsis and thought it sounds... meh! Now. I read your review and realize that it could be fun!
    Hm Hm... !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't recall The Tempest play either but all the names are found in the book except Prospero was a man and from what I remember a vengeful wizard. Sounds like a fun read and I love anything Shakespeare related so I'll definitely check this one out. Great review, Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another brilliant review. The book needs a new description and you should probably write it. I agree with Danny, it sounds blah till your review sheds more light on it. X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenga and hot dogs? WIN! Of all the places to be stuck when snowed in, a food court wouldn't be a bad one:) I've never read The Tempest so whether or not this one adheres to it would be lost on me and that's probably for the best. Glad to know you enjoyed this one so much Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't read much contemp YA, but if they have a connection to Shakespeare I usually find them a bit more interesting. Hm... food court fun... might have to check it out for that. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really liked reading this too and am also super excited for Exposure especially since I do know the story of Macbeth.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahha, Jenga and frozen hotdogs...someone had fun coming up with that one!

    - Jessica @ Book Sake

    ReplyDelete

This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva