Friday, January 18, 2013

Exposure by Kim Askew and Amy Helmes Review

Exposure: A Modern Day Spin on Shakespeare's Macbeth (Twisted Lit 2) by Kim Askew and Amy Helmes
Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Indiebound
Goodreads Summary- Double, double, toil and trouble. Sometimes, the quest for high school royalty can be deadly! In this emotionally-charged twist on Shakespeare’s Macbeth, a self-conscious shutterbug named Skye Kingston navigates a treacherous school year in Alaska fraught with unspoken secrets and tragic twists of fate. Along the way she encounters three strangely prophetic BFFs; one social-climbing, sociopathic cheerleader; and a heart-stopping hottie named Craig McKenzie: the man who would be Prom King. Can Skye save the boy she loves — and herself — before they get caught in the crosshairs?

Okay, so here's the truth, I don't remember MacBeth. I remember something about "Bubble, Bubble toil and trouble" and I recognized the three witches but they weren't anywhere near the mean ugly witches in Shakespeare's story. But, that's the thing about this story, it's a big switch up on the original tale.  Skye is a very tall, creative and pretty, though she doesn't know it, red head. She takes pictures for the school newspaper, her favorite subject being the star of the hockey team, Craig McKenzie. They are friends only when no one else is around, when his popular friends can't harass him about it. His girlfriend, of course, is a cheerleader  and a typical mean girl. Or maybe not so typical. Beth seems to be even meaner than most mean girls needing not only Craig's attention, but the attention of anyone else she can get as well.  Skye has spent most of her high school career avoiding Beth, but she has been caught a time or two talking to Craig, a huge mistake in Beth's eyes. She gets reamed for it so she tries not to be noticed. Most of her school experience has been from behind a camera lens, so when Craig issues an invitation to an in crowd party out in the woods at a hunting shack, Skye, in a fit of anger or craziness or something accepts and she finds herself in the wrong place at the wrong time, or maybe the right place at the right time. She hears and sees things she's never heard before, things that make her question herself and everything she believes in.

Skye also has an unusual home life. She has an infant brother and a father who stays home most of the time with him while mom goes back to school to get a degree in medicine. She wants to be a doctor. And just when Skye thinks her mother and father are getting a divorce, they snuggle up to each other at Christmas and seem even more close than they ever have been. Things seem better with them than ever.

It's really hard to review this story other than to say, I remember bits of MacBeth and I thought the twists on it were very good for a contemporary twist on Shakespeare. I really enjoyed the story and could have actually done with a much longer epilogue! But I really loved this story all the twisted minds and social politics. Damn high school is rough!

I highly recommend this novel for lovers of Shakespeare, contemporary YA fiction and anyone that loves a good story. It's light on romance and heavy on the drama. It's a really great story told very well with a lot of dialogue and action. It's a lot of fun!

Thanks to the authors for contacting me about their Twisted Lit novels I enjoyed both that I read, but I think this was my favorite. I did receive a free E-ARC for review through NetGalley. This in no way influenced my opinions.

Heather


8 comments:

  1. Hmm..from the description, I doesn't sound quite exactly like Macbeth which is fine. Even a loose adaptation is cool to read. I love Shakespeare so I'm going to give this one a shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it Rummanah! It's real loosely based I think!

      Delete
  2. I love a twist on Shakespeare... on purpose. :) No "out damn spot?" :) Interesting that she is the doc and not the crazy lady. :)

    I don't care for mean girl angles, but if done right, I don't mind. Sounds like she does end up questioning things and there is growth. Hm.. I like that. So, I think I could give this one a try. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, there is an OUT DAMN SPOT, it's kind of the final straw for the mean girl! Again, I don't remember MacBeth so I don't know how close to it it really is, but I just had a lot of fun with this one.

      Delete
  3. I liked Tempestuous more because it was funnier and I wished that this book had had more in common with Macbeth. Excited to see what other stories these authors have cooked up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I can't wait to read their other books!

      Delete
  4. Some of these adaptations of classics work really well, there are a few horror ones I'm interested in checking out. I enjoyed the Romeo and Juliet adaptation :D This one sounds well worth a try too. Great review as always Heather. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you'd love to read them in horror form! I don't know how you stand that. To each their own, right?

      Delete

This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva