Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Just One Day by Gayle Forman

Just One Day by Gayle Forman
Amazon, Kindle, Barnes and Noble, Indiebound
Goodreads Summary- A breathtaking journey toward self-discovery and true love, from the author of If I Stay

When sheltered American good girl Allyson "LuLu" Healey first meets laid-back Dutch actor Willem De Ruiter at an underground performance of Twelfth Night in England, there’s an undeniable spark. After just one day together, that spark bursts into a flame, or so it seems to Allyson, until the following morning, when she wakes up after a whirlwind day in Paris to discover that Willem has left. Over the next year, Allyson embarks on a journey to come to terms with the narrow confines of her life, and through Shakespeare, travel, and a quest for her almost-true-love, to break free of those confines.

Just One Day is the first in a sweepingly romantic duet of novels. Willem’s story—Just One Year—is coming soon!

Okay this will be short because much like If I Stay and Where She Went, I have no idea how to review this novel. It was just so, so much.  It was everything. And everyone should read it. I know, I know. I'm not giving you much to go on. But it was so BIG and so intimate and everything else in between. It was everything I've ever wanted to do and didn't and did and what happens and doesn't. And  full of what if's and doubts and chasing dreams. And I think about life and I think maybe that's what it is, just one chase after another trying to catch our dreams. I mean this book, it makes you think about everything big and small. It O-P-E-N-S your mind. Not to anything in particular, but it makes you wonder. This book was like magic to me. I don't want to tell you anymore about it. It was special to me but it will be something different to you. Still special, but you'll experience it in a different way. So read it and share what you want. And wait with baited breath for Just One Year. 

13 comments:

  1. Squeals!!! I cannot wait!! I haven't read anything by him, but this one? It's a must read for me! All I hear is excitement and praise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just ordered my copy from Amazon because I can't wait for the library copy to come back. I can't wait to read this one by Gayle. I absolutely loved "If I Stay" and "Where She Went". From reading your blurb, I think I might need to grab a box of kleenex before I start, huh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it's gonna make you think. I really wanted to go to Paris while I was reading the book. Really bad. If you've been thinking about making changes in your life, this book will push you ahead. I'd been considering going back to school. I figured if I gotta get a job, I gotta do something I love and this made me say yes.
      I even got my husband to talk books with me, that's how great it was. (You must understand, he doesn't read, at all. Very depressing. House full of boys. But the youngest always has his nose stuck in a book. There's hope for a book discussion yet.)

      Delete
  3. Okay. I have to tell you I am a Gayle Foreman virgin. I KNOW! It's shameful. I've heard such amazing things about all of her books and I really need to experience one for myself. Would you recommend starting with this one or going back to If I Stay?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one. Unless you have both If I Stay and Where She Went and can read them back to back. I don't think they are as good separately as they are as a whole. Just my opinion. But this one, it can stand on it's own.

      There is great character growth, and you will cheer for Allyson at the end of the book!

      Delete
  4. I had the same exact reaction to reading Just One Day. It's so hard to put into words how it affected me, especially without spoiling anything. You did an amazing job though—fabulous review! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I thought for everyone it would be about the story, but it just wasn't for me. I wish I'd had this book in college. I might have already said that. LOL!

      Delete
  5. I have to admit, I hated this book at first. Why? The ending. Then I carefully checked out to make sure that there would be a next one. There is and it's his version? Okay, now I love the book. LOL It wasn't that I didn't love the book, just hated the ending thinking it was the only one in the series. :D

    I have If I Stay, but haven't gotten to it yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a follow up to that one too! Where she went! Believe me, I wouldn't have liked this one if we weren't getting Willem's story half as much, but still, it made me think a lot!

      Delete
  6. Whoa, big words! Everything... and I didn't want to read Just One Day. I didn't like If I Stay and couldn't identify that much with Mia. But now I definitely have to give Gayle's newest novel a chance. Great review!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, yes, it's hard to identify floating above her body waiting to die. I'll give you that. But did you read the sequel? Pretty awesome!

      Warning, this is set up the same way with her story, then we have to wait for his story. I don't think there are any life and death battles involved.

      Delete
  7. This is actually a perfect review! I agree with everything you said. Loved this book! I will be thinking about it for a very long time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, missed your comment. I will have this one in my mind for a long time to come. Thank you for saying that about my review, I think you won't understand it until you read the book. But Wow!

      Delete

This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva