Quick Note

Hope everyone has a GREAT EASTER or PASSOVER or just lovely weather- Spring I hope or Fall if you are in that part of the world! If you are getting a break YAHOO! I'll be out of internet service for the next several days. My mom lives in the dark ages!
See you next week!!

Monday, January 21, 2013

Shadowlands by Kate Brian Review

Shadowlands by Kate Brian
Amazon, Kindle, MP3 CD Audiobook, Barnes and Noble, Indiebound
Goodreads Summary- Rory Miller had one chance to fight back and she took it. Rory survived… and the serial killer who attacked her escaped. Now that the infamous Steven Nell is on the loose, Rory must enter the witness protection with her father and sister, Darcy, leaving their friends and family without so much as a goodbye. 

Starting over in a new town with only each other is unimaginable for Rory and Darcy. They were inseparable as children, but now they can barely stand each other. As the sisters settle in to Juniper Landing, a picturesque vacation island, it seems like their new home may be just the fresh start they need. They fall in with a group of beautiful, carefree teens and spend their days surfing, partying on the beach, and hiking into endless sunsets. But just as they’re starting to feel safe again, one of their new friends goes missing. Is it a coincidence? Or is the nightmare beginning all over again?

Well, this one made me scared of things that go bump in the night. And even the daytime! Anything with a serial killer, a particularly prolific and determined one scares the beejeebeez out of me. This novel was different right from the beginning. First, because the serial killer is laying in wait for his prey and we view the attack from his point of view. But then, after it's over, the family just doesn't seem to take it seriously.  There's no therapy for Rory, no coddling, no bringing the family closer. Everyone stays in their separate worlds, sequestered in their house for a week while the FBI searches for the serial killer. Darcy, Rory's older sister even gets angry when she can't go out to a graduation party. I can assure you, if it were me, I'd have a gun and a guy from the FBI by my side ALL the time. I'd sleep with him, eat with him, shower with him, breathe with him. And I would not whine about a party. I would probably make a fort in my closet and not leave until the serial killer was dead. So their reactions were a little off to me. I know they haven't recovered from the mom's death several years earlier, but it just seems off.

Then they have to leave everything and everyone they know at the drop of a hat. I think they get an hour. Maybe less. They have no idea where they are going so they don't know what to pack. They just fill a bag and go. The GPS is programmed and only one person in the FBI knows where they are going. And they are off to safety.

So, Rory. Well she escapes a serial killer so she's strong. You do have to give her that. She does not freak out like I would expect her to or like I think she should. When they move she's the only one that questions things. She's the center of attention which is the exact opposite of what it used to be. But I have to say, there wasn't much to her. The story was mostly about her, but it's more of a plot driven story and she is used to drive the plot forward.

So what does that say about Darcy and Dad? Well there is some interesting interaction between Darcy and Rory, but again, it's to move the plot along. The same with a tender moment between Dad and the girls. All to move the plot forward. I don't think any of the characters are well developed but the story doesn't suffer from it. I'm a character lover, but that wasn't what I cared about in this story. I needed to know about the serial killer and if he was going to kill again. And I needed to know what was happening on the island. I really didn't care about the characters. I wanted to get to that plot! And it was a great one!!

I thought I had things figured out and everything was fitting into place. Except...for a few things. And I couldn't make them fit no matter what I did. And even though there's a huge thing that happens towards the end, you aren't finished yet. You aren't finished until the last sentence of the book. So don't peek! You will ruin the surprise. But I can't for the life of me figure out what the series is going to be about. It feels complete. So needless to say, I can't wait for the next book! And I'm a character  girl, but that plot just can't be ignored!

Happy Reading!
Heather

6 comments:

  1. Hahahaha it's a good thing you said not to peek because things happen right up until the last sentence, otherwise I definitely would have flipped to the back first. I KNOW! It's a sickness Heather, I can't help it. But I promise I won't with this one so I can be surprised. And clearly terrified. I'm going to have to sleep with a light on I think:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm half way through this one and I can honestly say I don't know what the hell is going on! I'm glad I'm reading as an ebook so now I can't flip to the back. ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like an intense read! It might have me sleeping with my light on! I don't peek at the ends. Hardly ever anyway. ;) I will be sure not to for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just skimmed this review since I got this all set to read on my Nook. I will come back when I finish it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No Peeking PEOPLE! Does anyone else have a hard time letting go of their computer when it's sick? I can't look at anyone's blog. My letters type three times and I have to back space over everything but I don't trust anyone with it. No, it isn't in the shop yet. Tomorrow. Maybe. I'm addicted to my computer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was torn on this one. I was all into it until the bitter end, and I just felt like I was slapped. I did not see that ending coming! Am I the only one that felt like it was rushed and out of place? I dunno... I keep saying that book 2 will tell the tale. It all depends on what happens next.

    ReplyDelete

This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva