Thursday, February 21, 2013

Blog Tour: Moonsong and Witch's Nocturne by E.J. Wesley

Blood Fugue (Moonsongs Book 1) by E.J. Wesley
Amazon Kindle, Goodreads
Summary-“Some folks treated the past like an old friend. The memories warmed them with fondness for what was, and hope for what was to come. Not me. When I thought of long ago, my insides curdled, and I was left feeling sour and wasted.”

Jenny Schmidt is a young woman with old heartaches. A small town Texas girl with big city attitude, she just doesn’t fit in. Not that she has ever tried. 

Life has pummeled her heart into one big, lonely callus. She has no siblings, both parents were dead by sixteen, and her last grandparent—and caretaker—was in the ground before she turned twenty-one. She’s the last living member of her immediate family. Or so she thinks…

“We found my ‘grandfather’ sitting at his dining room table. An entire scorched pot of coffee dangled from his shaky hand. His skin was the ashen gray shade of thunderclouds, not the rich mocha from the photo I’d seen. There were dark blue circles under each swollen red eye. A halo of white hair skirted his bald head, a crown of tangles and mats. Corpses had more life in them.”

Suddenly, instead of burying it with the dead, Jenny is forced to confront the past. Armed only with an ancient family journal, her rifle, and an Apache tomahawk, she must save her grandfather’s life and embrace her dangerous heritage. Or be devoured by it. 

Quick witted Jenny and just as sharp best friend Marshal make this novel such an enjoyable read that I couldn't believe it was over so soon. I have made no secret of the fact that I love serials. It's great to get a complete story in 65 pages or so and get another one that builds on what you know, a month or so later.
Jenny, featured on the cover, has a purple mohawk, sharp tongue, and a Texas sized chip on her shoulder when it comes to family. So when her grandfather, who she was told was dead a long time ago, emails her, she is reluctant to meet him. The mystery only deepens when she agrees to kill a beast that is killing his livestock later that night and she and Marshal return. What they find is like nothing she's ever seen and the true Moonsong in her comes out. The writing is crisp and clean, it matches Jenny's character who knows exactly who she is and doesn't make any excuses for it. I didn't expect to love this one, but I couldn't wait to open up the next story in this series. E.J. Wesley is a fantastic writer! And even though that cover may be strange, it matches Jenny and the storyline perfectly! Take a good look at it before you read.

Witch's Nocturne (Moonsongs Book2)
Amazon Kindle, Nook, Smashwords
Goodreads Summary- After receiving an ancient tribal journal from her grandfather, Jenny is sent on a mission of discovery in an attempt to unravel clues to her family's monster hunting past. The journey becomes more than academic when she is asked to confront a coven of dangerous witches who plan to cast an insidious spell on the plains of West Texas. 

Witch's Nocturne is the second of the Moonsongs Books, a series of paranormal-horror-action novelettes by author E.J. Wesley. These stories contain language and content better suited for mature readers.

Because the characters of Jenny and Marshal are so well fleshed out in Blood Fugue, I felt I already knew them well enough in this second book and it took no time to understand what was going on  even though there was a small bit of introduction to remind readers of what had happened in the first book. It's not a standalone by any means. Jenny has a family business to carry on and she's flying by the seat of her pants but for a journal from her grandfather and Marshal's help. This story seemed a bit longer than the first and is again filled with some great comments from Jenny (her view of people is generally that she prefers computers to them) and a mystery leading her to discover only a sliver more about her family. It's just as entertaining as the first and I highly recommend it.

As far as it being for mature readers, I so far haven't seen anything that would warrant that kind of warning. But maybe subsequent titles will have something in it that will prove me wrong. I felt they were PG 13.

Here's some info on E.J. Wesley and I have to say, he wrote Jenny so well, I was very surprised to find out E.J. was a man. 
Bio:Born and raised in Oklahoma, E.J. grew up in a land of good earth and better people. He holds degrees in psychology and counseling, but prefers to spend his time in the heads of imaginary people to real ones. He writes and lives in South Texas, and loves to chat about movies, books, music, food, and family.

Find the Author: GoodReads | Facebook Twitter | Blog

These novels were given to me through a blog tour brought to you by CBB Book Promotions. You can follow the rest of the tour HERE.

 I have a couple of giveaways for you today thanks to Candace and the author! First two commenters can win an e-copy of each book. Yes this is international and you just need to leave a way for me to contact you in the comments. I promise you will not be disappointed!!

Secondly, there is a bigger giveaway for which you can fill out this rafflecopter form below

a Rafflecopter giveaway


  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

  2. *Had to fix a typo ... a writer thing. :-D*

    Thank you so much for joining in on the tour fun, and for sharing the detailed reviews! Very glad you enjoyed the stories and Jenny's somewhat surly view of things. :-)

    Just a side note on the 'Mature Reader' tag: Not long after releasing Blood Fugue, a reviewer mentioned she felt there was too much swearing, and the tone a bit dark, for a YA book. Although the book isn't listed in any YA categories, and is labeled as 'New Adult' in any place I'm allowed to do it, I felt there might be some confusion. So as a courtesy to readers, I decided to put the label on it.

    And as you mentioned, future Moonsongs books may explore more mature themes, so I wanted to build that expectation into the series early on.

  3. YAY! I'm so glad you enjoyed them! It always makes me so excited since I love the books so much!
    I agree that it's not that bad of content, and originally wasn't so sure the warning was terribly necessary, but since I have had a LOT of people reading it and have been getting a variety of feedback I have seen that some think it's just too dark or gory (the first book) and the few curse words haven't been liked by some. So I guess it's better safe than sorry. And I see that EJ has given the explanation as well. I like that it's at a place for New Adults that might prefer more urban fantasy instead of romance (since NA seems to be about romance so much these days). I can't wait to see where things go in future books!
    Thanks so much for giving these a try and sharing your thoughts!

  4. I grabbed the first book as a freebie. I admit the cover doesn't exactly make me want to read this, but I am reading so many positive reviews and I always trust Candace's opinion plus the posts I have seen by EJ show me he is the type of author I want to promote. I really really need to find time to read this!

  5. I'm so glad you also loved this as much as AimeeKay did! I can't wait to dive in and I also got the first one b/c it was a freebie. Looks like I'll be getting the next as well!

  6. Free Data Entry Job Trial(11550)

    Get A Free Data Entry Job Trial When You Register In The $10biz.
    Get Paid Directly To Any Account Instantly.
    Earn $10 For Every Order Processed
    For Full Details Visit Http://
    Click On Email Processing Jobs


This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva