Monday, February 25, 2013

Unbroken by Paula Morris Review

Unbroken by Paula Morris
Amazon, Kindle, Barnes and Noble, Indiebound, Goodreads,
Summary-Welcome back to New Orleans.
Where the streets swirl with jazz and beauty.
Where the houses breathe with ghosts.

A year ago, Rebecca Brown escaped death in a New Orleans cemetery. Now she has returned to this haunting city. She is looking forward to seeing Anton Grey, the boy who may or may not have her heart.

But she also meets a ghost: a troubled boy who insists only she can help him. Soon Rebecca finds herself embroiled in another murder mystery from more than a century ago. But as she tries to right wrongs, she finds more questions than answers: Is she putting her friends, and herself, in danger? Can she trust this new ghost? And has she stumbled into something much bigger and more serious than she understands.

Once again Paula Morris has ghost seeing Rebecca in New Orleans now in the French Quarter for a week with her best friend, Ling, from New York City for Spring Break. The problem is she's seeing a ghost or ghosts again and one in particular needs her help. I loved Ruined Morris' first novel set in New Orleans and was hoping for more of the same, but this one just didn't quite live up to my expectations. At least part of it didn't.

The story starts in New York City, that's where Rebecca first sees the ghost and realizes that it's happening again. He briefly tells her his story and why she can see him and then he's gone. With quite a bit of trepidation, she heads to New Orleans with her dad and Ling. She's excited to see Anton again as they've been texting and talking through the school year. But then all the old drama with the Temple Mead girls comes up and Anton is being really weird. He was so supportive after the events in the last book and apparently throughout the year, but now that he has a chance to see Rebecca after so long, he doesn't seem to want to see her. He should be at the airport to greet her, but he doesn't see her until the next day at a lake clean up. And then there's that, Morris has the girls spending all their time cleaning up a lake, or fixing up the grounds at a school the whole time they are in New Orleans. This is Ling's first trip to New Orleans and instead of site seeing she's cleaning up. I would think there would be enough to see and do without being so altruistic. Save it for the next trip. No I'm not against altruism, I just thought it was boring to read about.

Finally, it starts to get interesting when Toby Sutton starts to rear his head and make a few attempts to grab Rebecca. He still blames her for everything and he's apparently escaped from the super strict military school he's supposed to be in. Furthermore, he knows what she needs in order to help the ghost get his final peace and he's trying to make sure she doesn't get it. And then there's Anton, he is hardly supportive. He's been talking to Toby despite his threats against Rebecca and then he finally says he's rid of  him only after Toby injures someone. What kind of boyfriend is that? What kind of friend is that? Or even person?

It was only the climax of the book and the ending that saved the book for me. It was what I was looking for and it was what made the novel worth reading. Rebecca is absolutely herself in this novel and Ling is more than a loyal sidekick, she's up for anything and a kickass friend to have. Anton, hmm, I really didn't like him, but I did like his friend Phil and hope that if there are more novels to  come, both Ling and Phil show up in them.

I felt like Morris was trying to piggyback on the success, if it was successful I wasn't blogging then, of Ruined a few years too late. And if she really wanted to make it a book set in New Orleans, give us the tour, don't stick us at a school cleaning up all day. The girls didn't complain, but I am. I'd give it  three and a half stars just because the last third was so good.

I received a copy of this novel from the publisher through NetGalley for a fair and honest review. I was not compensated for my review.



  1. Oh I just realized that this is a sequel? I have never heard of this before.. Should check it out.
    The cover reminded me of another book which is why I was so confused :)

    1. I didn't give any spoilers away so don't worry about it. Ruined is the first novel. It's good, very good. Then she wrote Dark Souls which I haven't read. It takes place in England somewhere and has nothing to do with these characters as far as I know.
      This is the sequel to Ruined. Sorry I didn't make it clear.

  2. I'm with you... the ending can save a book for me as well. Plus, in NOLA and stuck at the school? Yea, I'd be frustrated too!

    Will have to check out that first book!

    1. Not even at school, cleaning the grounds of a school! Yeah, it's in Treme, but it's not like they get to do anything. Just pick weeds and plant things. Show me NOLA through their eyes.
      I felt like she took the easy way out!


      Ruined is the first book. Looks like it got great reviews.

  3. Glad that the ending made up for the other things lacking. I haven't heard much about these, but will look into the first one.

    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

  4. Data Entry Job Paid Per Form Filled
    Earn Up To $50 Per Hour Working At Home As
    A Data Entry Typist. Earn A Guaranteed Income
    For Forms Filled. No Selling Or Recruiting.
    Easy Online Work For Great Pay.
    For Details Visit

  5. i just noticed that this was posted on my birthday soooo cheers to that! and this was the best summary i could find on this book so thanks :)

  6. i just noticed that this was posted on my birthday soooo cheers to that! and this was the best summary i could find on this book so thanks :)


This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva