Monday, March 11, 2013

Deep Betrayal by Anne Greenwood Brown Review

Deep Betrayal by Anne Greenwood Brown
Amazon, Kindle, Barnes and Noble, Indiebound, Book Depository, Kobo
Goodreads DescriptionIt's been thirty days, two hours, and seventeen minutes since Calder left Lily standing on the shores of Lake Superior. Not that she's counting. And when Calder does return, it's not quite the reunion Lily hoped for. Especially after she lets her father in on a huge secret: he, like Calder, is a merman. Obsessed with his new identity, Lily's dad monopolizes Calder's time as the two of them spend every day in the water, leaving Lily behind.

Then dead bodies start washing ashore. Calder blames his mermaid sisters, but Lily fears her father has embraced the merman's natural need to kill. As the body count grows, everyone is pointing fingers. Lily doesn't know what to believe—only that whoever's responsible is sure to strike again. . . 
***This review is for a sequel and will contain spoilers for the first novel if you have not read it*****
I love a story told from a guys point of view, but Deep Betrayal, told from Lily's point of view was so much better than Lies Beneath and I really enjoyed Lies Beneath! So much happens in this book and seeing it through Lily's eyes makes it more real because she's human and she's experiencing the doubt about Calder and her father. Does Calder really need her or love her? What is his connection to her? Will he leave her some day? Is her father the one murdering those people? And how could he dessert the family like this? Lily's mother is nothing but a bundle of sadness and anger, not something she's used to because her husband is gone.

I totally forgot that Lily and little Sophie were half merpeople with their dad being a merman. So there is that story line. Then there is dead Tallulah with Maris and Pavati knowing or not knowing. Do they know Lily is alive? What will they think if they see Lily? What about Hancock being a merman?? And Calder isn't connected to them anymore so he can't hear them. And who is killing the people on the lake? Maris and Pavati? Lily's dad? Or something else more sinister?

There is a lot going on in this novel and it does not disappoint! I was sure I knew who was doing the killing and I was like, "Come on already just tell us!" But I couldn't have been more wrong. Not even in the ballpark. And all the things I assumed, I was wrong. Brown really delivers in this novel. I remember rumors that this novel didn't have enough Calder in it, but it had plenty of Calder and Lily in it, more than Lies Beneath in the way of romance to me. It's more intense and has more meaning.

Even Sophie gets a little air time and she's a smart little thing. I learned what rainbows are made of and she proved that just because she was young, didn't mean she wasn't paying attention. And her connection to Pavati was still there. The only one that had a really bad time in this book was Mom. I know she can't get cured, but man, she really had some shocks in this book. I just hope her heart can take it. No cliffhanger ending, it was happy to me, but I think there is another book since it says this is the second book and I believe this was always going to be a trilogy. I really think of the two books, this was a much better book for those of you that are hesitant to pick it up. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

It's for a little older crowd. There are some mature scenes, some sexual content. It's definitely for lovers of mermaid tales remembering this is the sequel, YA paranormal, romance, and family.

Thanks to the publishers at Delacorte Books for Young Readers and NetGalley for the E-ARC. Though I received and advanced copy for free, this in no way influenced my opinion of the book. I did not receive financial compensation for this review.

Heather

14 comments:

  1. Loved the first story in the series and cant wait to here the rest of the story.

    The Equation book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is really great Henry! Need to read it when you can!

      Delete
  2. I still haven't read the first one, but glad that you enjyed this one from a new perspective through Lily.

    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Im glad I read it too. I would have missed out, but then I was one of the few that wasn't disappointed by Lies Beneath.

      Delete
  3. hmmmm, i'm definitely interested in the merman/mermaid thing! I hadn't heard of these books, but I love mermaid stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I can name dozens for you! I don't think I've met one I didn't like!!lol

      Delete
  4. What....no self help or ways to make money today? What am I going to do? I guess I could go through my spam folder for entertainment. I wasn't the biggest fan of book one, I liked it but didn't love it. I felt that Lily wasn't well developed but now I think I might just cave and read this so I can get inside her head. Definitely sounds like there is a lot going on with this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, I will say Lily is a bit Calder obsessed in this one. She's got it bad for that merman! But I think it's more because she's afraid he's going to leave her like Pavati does to boys.
      She's also the tiniest bit scared he'll kill someone. But she's also got so much to deal with, you wouldn't believe all the things this girl is up to in this book. Lots going on in her head. I especially love her poetry. It let's you know where her head is at. I say read it. Totally different book!

      Oh and I can forward you some emails from my "Best Friends" that need money or can send you money or a mercedes or countless other non existent things if you'd like those out of my spam folder. Just shoot me an email to let me know! ;)

      Delete
  5. Shoot! I missed this one at NetGalley! I did want to continue with this series. I also think it is a trilogy. I also like that it is stronger than the first. Oh... so want to see if I connect with the characters a bit better. It sounds like I would!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really think you would. Maybe Lily's voice is easier to connect to emotionally or Brown's voice comes through better in a girl's voice but this one is a totally different book. Are you sure it isn't still available? You'll definitely want to continue it especially with what happens in the end of the book. Wonder if the audio would be any good?

      Heather

      Delete
  6. I'm not sure about this one Heather! I struggled quite a bit with Lies Beneath, but I want so desperately to find a series about mer-folk that I really enjoy that I kind of want to give this one a try just to see if it works better for me. I do like that you were completely wrong about who was doing the killing, love it when that happens to me! I'm all "I have this figured out!" and the author is all "You're an idiot. I'm going to pull the rug out from under you now..." :) WIN.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny I was laughing at myself because I thought I had it all figured out. I even told my husband it was about time the author just admitted who it was and got on with it. I haven't told him I'm wrong yet. He won't remember. LOL But just wait. This one, I don't know, it was much better than the first one. I know everyone was disappointed with lack of tension in the fist one. I think it's there in this one. I didn't find it lacking in anything. Romance, suspense, danger, danger, surprises, shocking discoveries, danger, danger, surprise.
      That's about how it was!

      Delete
  7. I haven't read the first book so I skimmed your review. Im not big on mermaid books but its just cause most of them haven't worked for me. I may have to give the first one a try one of these days though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How did I miss seeing this on NetGalley! Ugh. Kicking myself. I cannot wait to read it. I love Calder! I'm so glad to see that this book is even better than Lies Beneath, because I thought LB was pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete

This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva