Thursday, March 28, 2013

Free Souls ( Mindjack Trilogy #3) by Susan Kaye Quinn Review

Free Souls (Mindjack Trilogy #3) by Susan Kaye Quinn
Amazon, Kindle, Barnes and Noble, Indiebound, Book Depository, Kobo, Smashwords
Goodreads Summary-  When your mind is a weapon, freedom comes at a price.
The final installment of the Mindjack Trilogy is here! 
Four months have passed since Kira left home to join Julian’s Jacker Freedom Alliance, but the hole in her heart still whistles empty where her boyfriend Raf used to be. She fills it with weapons training, JFA patrols, and an obsessive hunt for FBI agent Kestrel, ignoring Julian’s worries about her safety and repeated attempts to recruit her for his revolutionary chat-casts. When anti-jacker politician Vellus surrounds Jackertown with the National Guard, Kira discovers there’s more to Julian’s concerns than she knew, but she’s forced to take on a mission that neither want and that might be her last: assassinating Senator Vellus before he can snuff out Julian’s revolution and the jackers she’s come to love.
Other books in the Mindjack Series:
Mind Games (prequel short story to Open Minds)
Open Minds
The Handler
The Scribe
Closed Hearts
Free Souls

Mindjack Origins Collection
Mindjack Website- MindjackTrilogy.com

Funny thing about me and the last book in a series- I put off reading it as long as I can. If I like the series that is. And I really, really like this series. But when the author gives you the book and says "Here's the last book in the series!" it kind of eats at your conscience. But it still took me four or five months to be ready to let go of these characters. But Kira, Kira was left not with a broken heart, but with a heart with gaping holes in it. The wind whistles through her it's so torn open and I couldn't live knowing this about Kira, the heroine of the story. So I needed to know that Sue didn't leave Kira gaping open, that if she didn't find a way to mend those holes inside her heart, that at least she could kill that evil man that was the cause of all her troubles from book one. I had to find out where she went after she picked herself up and dusted herself off.

She fought on. Kira didn't give in to selfish wallowing in pity. She chose revenge. And that girl has a mind that can wreak havoc on a person's mind if she can get around your helmet. She's one of the strongest mind jackers around and she looks so innocent. But she could get your heart to stop beating if she wanted to. And her target is a big fish in the ocean. No, not the president, but someone fairly big. Things move really fast in this novel and you have to have read everything before this to be able to keep up. You need to know what each person's talents are so you can understand how everyone works together. For a revolution, there is very little bloodshed. The JFA use dart guns to tranquilize everyone then mind control them. It's easier and scares people less than killing everyone.

The world building the author has done throughout this series is phenomenal. Everyone is a mind reader. Except there are some anomalies. Kira and her mindjacker friends who can actually link into people's brains and control there thoughts, wipe their memories, kill them, completely block their own minds from being read, and other various and really cool things. Kira can hack into computers with her mind and control them. She can hack into her own body and control it's bodily functions, revving up the adrenaline when needed. And why these anomalies, why the mind readers? Dumping of pharmaceuticals in the water supply. Simple, very believable and drugs affect people differently. You'll see even more of that in this novel. The mindjackers live in an rundown industrial building with old houses surrounding them, "Jackertown." I swear to you if I were an artist I could draw the inside of that building they live in I can picture it so well. That's not to say the books are weighed down with heavy descriptions, they aren't. But the characters move through the space so much and live there, I can picture it. Wonder if my picture and the author's would match?

Free Souls is an edge of your seat suspense filled finale. Kira has proven that she's not afraid to take a bullet or to die. She's put herself in harms way more than once or twice. She actually doesn't expect to come back from some missions and after the end of the last novel, Closed Hearts, I wasn't sure she wanted to live. But Kira is tough, all the soft naive edges rubbed away in this novel and despite some self doubt, Kira shows herself as a true leader in this book. It was such a great ending though I wish the author had stuck it to Raf a little more just because...but he has to live with Mama Santos. So there is that!

So who is The Mindjack Trilogy for? Sci-fi lovers, though it's pretty low-tech there are some neat stuff and lingo. It's not really dystopian, but the world is definitely not in great shape. It's set in the future with a lot of technology. There is some romance, a few as there are several characters that play important roles. I'd say plot drives this novel. Kira is really the driving force as far as characters go, but the plot is what moves everything forward at such a quick pace. Family plays a big part in this series, most everything Kira does is to protect her family or help them. It's a very clean series with some violence mainly in the form of hand to hand combat. 

Sue is one of those authors that asked me to review her first book in the series called Open Minds. I'd never heard of her but I took a chance, just like she took a chance on me. I am so glad she asked because I have really enjoyed this series. She is the ultimate professional when it comes to tours and interviews and she's just started a new novella series called The Debt Collector. It's an adult series and as she is publishing it so frequently I'd recommend it. I'm going to try it. My review will be on Goodreads. I love novellas. I always have time to finish one before I go to sleep!



6 comments:

  1. "Funny thing about me and the last book in a series- I put off reading it as long as I can."

    SAME HERE HEATHER! I'm actually currently in the process of doing that with Unbreakable. I'm dying to read it, but I know there are no more books after it and I don't want it to be over! I'm so glad this last book for you didn't disappoint, love a book that keeps me in suspense the whole way through!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not even going to admit to how many final books I am sitting on. I am embarrassed by the number. But I will read them this year. That's why I entered the Seriously Series challenge. To make sure I finish those series. Sometime this year! I do not know Unbreakable or my mind is not coming up with it at the moment. Enlighten me please.

      Heather

      Delete
  2. Yep, I have the same problem as you and Jenny. You just don't want to leave that world and not come back! :)

    I still need to pick up this first book. It really does sound like something I'd enjoy and I like the sound of Kira. Oh and the author sounds awesomsauce as well! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue is awesome! It's a great series. And Kira, well she has my highest regard. She's the teen face of a resistance movement. I love that girl! She's tough, but we see her vulnerability.

      I wish you guys asked me questions and made comments before my review. I always feel like I say the right thing in my replies that I should have said in my reviews!

      Heather

      Delete
  3. I know what you mean about series ending it is always bittersweet and I hope that the author will bring us another book that spins off or something because I hate saying goodbye. I have seen this series around and it sounds interesting. If only my TBR would shrink. I am not the biggest fan of novellas as I never feel satisfied when finishing one up, I always want more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidi-
      Hope I didn't give the impression that the Mindjack Trilogy is a novella. It's three complete books with several novellas that tide us over in between.

      The Debt Collector is a novella series. Most of the ones I've read are a complete story within themselves and then tie in to a main story arc. I love them. I know a lot of people don't but I feel like I can say use to a review and know I can read it in a night. I like that kind of commitment. LOL

      Delete

This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva