Monday, March 18, 2013

Going Vintage by Lindsey Leavitt Review

Going Vintage by Lindsey Leavitt
Amazon, Kindle, Barnes and Noble, Indiebound, Book Depository, Kobo
Goodreads Synopsis-When Mallory’s boyfriend, Jeremy, cheats on her with an online girlfriend, Mallory decides the best way to de-Jeremy her life is to de-modernize things too. Inspired by a list of goals her grandmother made in1962, Mallory swears off technology and returns to a simpler time (when boyfriends couldn’t cheat with computer avatars). The List:
1. Run for pep club secretary
2. Host a fancy dinner party/soiree
3. Sew a dress for Homecoming
4. Find a steady
5. Do something dangerous
But simple proves to be crazy-complicated, and the details of the past begin to change Mallory’s present. Add in a too-busy grandmother, a sassy sister, and the cute pep-club president–who just happens to be her ex’s cousin–and soon Mallory begins to wonder if going vintage is going too far.

Mallory is the storyteller in this novel and she doesn't disappoint, telling the story with a fairly unbiased point of view. As an girl would do when she finds out her boyfriend is cheating on her with a cyber girlfriend, she goes to his friendspace page and declares him a TOOL! He is. Really, as you see him through the novel, he's one of those guys that needs to have a girl to define himself. He doesn't really know how to be without a girlfriend. Mallory, on the other hand takes her time to digest what happen and figure out what she was to Jeremy. And in order to get away from all the texts and phone calls, she disconnects from the world. And to carry it a step further, she goes vintage, grandma style. She feels grandma lived in a simpler time and that if she can connect to grandma's life back then, she'll have a happy junior year. Or at the very least get over Jeremy.

I did very much love the friendship between Mallory and Ginnie her younger sister. Ginnie almost seemed to be the older sister at times, but the two had a secret language almost. They knew how to get their parents to stop fighting. They shared the list. Ginnie even went along on a date because someone had to have a steady and it wasn't going to be Mallory. They are two years apart in age and I don't know if that makes the difference because they seemed so close.

I liked Mallory's wit and her observations about herself and life and other people. She was funny without trying to be.  She made many that made me laugh out loud, but one in particular stood out because the Harry Potter Movies have been showing. Each new chapter begins with a title and then a list of things that go with that title. One chapter is titled "Other merit badges Oliver Kimball could earn:.....6. More Charm. We're talking Charm School. We're talking earning ten charm O.W.L.s at Hogwarts." (Chapter 17 beginning). Now, how could you not love a girl like that? And  guy that can earn that many O.W.L.s? Match made in heaven. 

But this is the part that I really like Leavitt makes it very realistic. Instead of insta love, though their may be feelings between them, there is no insta love. After all, the book takes place over two weeks. Jeremy is hardly cold in his grave so to speak and feelings just don't turn off that easy. Leavitt gives we readers more credit than most and says hey, I know you aren't going to buy the insta love so we'll take it slow.
Thanks for that. Slow and flirty is always much more fun than insta love.

This novel has a little more depth and bite to it than a usual contemporary romance. First it's a breakup novel. And there are family issues, not big ones, but some that shake things up a bit. And Leavitt adds a bit of complexity to your typical Rom-Com of a novel. I recommend this one to anyone that loves comteporary romances with a bit of substance to them. Some more mature themes in them.

Thanks to Bloomsbury for providing an e-ARC through NetGalley. The opinions expressed in this review are my own. I was not compensated for my review in any way.



  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

  2. I love novels like that, those feel good contemporary novels that center around life, the breakup, family, some romance. Mallory sounds like a fantastic protagonist and I can't wait to get my hands on a copy,

    great review
    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

  3. Juhina-
    I really recommend this one. Seems like all I'm reading are contemporaries these days but they are so good! This one will not disappoint. Mallory is a great main character. Very strong.

    And thank you!

  4. The sisterly releationship sounds well written. I enjoy the focus on family that I have been seeing lately.
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

  5. Ha ha! A tool! :D

    Oh I do like the sound of integrating HP into the book! That makes it sound like so much fun. Between you and Jenny today I think you are both in cahoots of getting me to read this book. I may have to do it soon!

    1. Oh this is fun. It's more a break up book than a romance, but there is a budding one. And oh is he a cutie. It was a really fun book.

  6. I am reviewing this one next Monday and I am looking forward to it. I like that it has some depth and that the main character is witty and I love a slow flirty romance. No insta love who hoo! Also no cliffhanger right?

    1. No, no cliffie. I don't think it's a series. Seems pretty well wrapped up to me. No lingering questions, not even about the budding romance!

  7. This one sounds like it's right up my alley! I like some substance and depth to my romances. Plus that cover just looks super fun!

    1. Okay, I will not take the fall if you don't like it. Don't read it. I will not take the fall you hear me!!!! But it isn't fluffy. It is fun, but there are some dramas in it other than Jeremy is a tool. Fingers crossed!

  8. I loved this too! I loved how she wasn't all about jumping another boys bones and wanted a chance to find herself. I also loved the closeness of the sisters. Fab review!

  9. I really want to read this one. I love the idea behind it and the reference to HP is always welcome!

    - Jessica @ Book Sake


This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva