Friday, March 8, 2013

Mind Games by Kiersten White Review

Mind Games (#1) by Kiersten White
Amazon, Kindle, Audible, Barnes and Noble, Book Depository, Indiebound, Kobo
Goodreads Summary- Fia was born with flawless instincts. Her first impulse, her gut feeling, is always exactly right. Her sister, Annie, is blind to the world around her—except when her mind is gripped by strange visions of the future. 

Trapped in a school that uses girls with extraordinary powers as tools for corporate espionage, Annie and Fia are forced to choose over and over between using their abilities in twisted, unthinkable ways…or risking each other’s lives by refusing to obey.

In a stunning departure from her New York Times bestselling Paranormalcy trilogy, Kiersten White delivers a slick, edgy, heartstoppingly intense psychological thriller about two sisters determined to protect each other—no matter the cost.

Oh wow, you don't know how happy I was to see that this is a series. I don't think I've ever read through a book as fast as I have this one. I just couldn't put it down. As you start, it feels a bit like you've been thrown into the fire missing the frying pan completely. But you soon catch up. The repetition of threes and what it means to Fia and the way she talks through everything she does as she's doing it. It all makes perfect sense when you see what she's up against. Meet Clarice and Ms. Robertson. Meet James. Find out what Annie can do. And it makes for fascinating reading.

The story is told in two points of view and in past and present. It might sound complicated, but it works really well! No info dump. You can feel the crazy building inside of Fia until she's almost at her breaking point. With each chapter Annie becomes more frantic. The danger ratchets higher.

Let me start with the school. It is twisted. While Annie is attending because she thinks she's getting some kind of extra special training because she is blind. Any kind of new technology she finds, she asks for and she has it the next week. But Fia's training, it's much different. Hand to hand combat, instinct training, pick pocket. The most twisted thing happening is that the school uses one sister's love for the other to manipulate them.

I have to say, I kind of hated Annie in this book. She just seemed so damn selfish, wanting Fia to stay at the school despite knowing things weren't right. Knowing Fia wasn't happy. Then knowing and still wanting to stay. That, that I couldn't forgive her for even if she loved her sister, she stayed at that school for herself. Fia knew from the start that it was "wrong, wrong, wrong." But all Annie could see was the technology for her handicap and the promise of a possible cure one day.

As much as I hated Annie, I loved Fia. Fia thought on her feet, absolutely had the most heart of anyone in the story and was so broken I just wanted to gather her up in my arms and tell her she was "right, right, right."Every time I read something she'd had to do or what she thought of herself I cringed. Every passing chapter will make you hate the school more and more and if you're like me, Annie more and more. I don't think I'm supposed to hate Annie, but I really do.

This is a really quick, fast paced, thriller. I finished it in an afternoon. I am so glad it's a series because I definitely want more of Fia and I want Keane to pay and pay! And I want Fia to feel "right, right, right."

Definitely recommend this one to lovers of paranormal YA!

Thanks to Harper Teen! I won a copy of this from Epic Reads!

Heather

19 comments:

  1. That book was awesome and I Loved Fia to pieces!!! I agree with you on Annnie, she wasn't my fav either..
    I must say that I didn't like the time jumps and POV jumps so much, I found them too many and would have liked it better without it.
    Still, stunning book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I loved the way the book was told since she starts out with everything so bad in the beginning. I liked going backward and seeing how it built up to that point rather than a straight story. But it was a great book! I'm still thinking about it!

      Delete
  2. Okay, I have read a lot of negative reviews for this one. A LOT. But you and Mary at Book Swarm have both really enjoyed it and we tend to have similar opinions on books most of the time, so I'm rethinking my decision not to pick this one up. I think I need to:) Love those books you devour in one sitting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I can't believe you haven't read this one yet! I figured I was the last of everyone to read it! I really think you'll love it. It is such a quick book and Fia is just such a broken character. But she doesn't let that stop her. I think you'd love her character.

      Delete
  3. sounds interesting! thanks for the review, i've seen it around but I don't think I've ever found out what it was about before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It probably isn't what you'd like because there is an undertone of darkness and sadness to it. It's the first in a series so it may build to an HEA but Fia is an assassin, against her will.

      Delete
  4. WHoo hooo Mr. Yousef is going to show me how to fulfill my dreams, what a wealth of information, yesterday I learned how to make money at home. SPammers are aholes! Okay on to the review. I cannot decide what to make of this book. The reviews are all over the place. People either love it or hate it. I have heard that Fia shines and I am curious about her. Christy @Love of Books recommended it and if you read it in an afternoon then maybe I should just give in and read it or not since I am going to be busy fulfilling my dreams :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn those spammers! I do not want to put comment moderation on or all your comments would not have shown up until today as I didn't get on the computer until today. But I hate that they have my what? My email addy?

      I did see the first review under my friends on Goodreads gave it a one saying "Stream of consciousness does not a book make"
      But Fia is trying to decide if she should kill a guy or not based on no information except direct orders. And she's thinking it to herself and it really makes for good reading to see how she thinks and processes things and makes her split second decisions. And the whole book isn't like that, so there you go.

      Oh and my husband's co-worker got an email from a Saudi prince that will make him a millionaire if he gives him his bank acct number and social security number. So if you're interested you wouldn't even have to work from home. Let me know sounds like a better offer! lol

      Delete
  5. Oh second recommendation for this book. I am SO curious. I need to meet Fia... but apparently not Annie. LOL And since you know I love paranormal YA, you know I needs to pick this one up. Especially devouring it so quickly as you did. Yep, onto the wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa-

      Well I don't know why anyone is questioning this one, it is Kierstin White! But you would love Fia and some of the sadistic things they do to her and make her do. And her talent, it is so spot on. I think you'd really enjoy this one. She's a 17 yr old assassin with perfect instincts.

      Delete
  6. I love Fia too and can't wait for the next one. This was right up my alley, and seems like yours too :)

    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yay!! Someone agrees with me!! I absolutely loved this one!
      I can't wait for the next either. And no cliffhanger really.

      Delete
  7. *Fingers crossed* I really, really hope this one bring me out of my reading slump. I just love Ms. White's writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh god, I hate to even suggest anything to you. We haven't been matching up too much lately. But maybe you'll like this one. The reviews are all over the place but maybe you'll be on the win side with this one. Here's hoping Rummanah!

      Delete
  8. Yay! So glad you love this one too! I agree, wasn't a huge fan of Annie, but Fia rocked! I couldn't put this book down either. So pumped for book two! Great review :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And someone else that loved it as much as me!! I can't wait for the sequel. I didn't know it was a series until I went to write my review. I am so glad it is! I hope Annie is better in the next book.

      Delete
  9. I've had this one on my TBR for so long! One of these days I will get it! My TBR is a little too big right now (LOL!), but I do really want to read this one in the future :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Amber, preaching to choir! My stacks are so huge I don't know what to do! That's why I am having the spring cleaning. There are series that I have the first book for but have never started. I just have to let go of those books. But you have to move this one higher on the list. It really is a one sit read and it'll have you pumped with adrenaline!

      Heather

      Delete
  10. I know how you feel about Annie! She fusterated me at times!

    www.booknerdsjourney.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva