Monday, April 29, 2013

Breathless by Brigid Kemmerer A Review

Breathless by Brigid Kemmerer
Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Kobo
Goodreads Summary-
Too many secrets. Not enough time.

Nick Merrick is supposed to be the level-headed one. The peacemaker. Since it’s just him and his three hotheaded brothers against the world, that’s a survival tactic.

But now he’s got problems even his brothers can’t help him survive.

His so-called girlfriend, Quinn, is going quick as mercury from daring to crazy. Meanwhile, Quinn’s dancer friend Adam is throwing Nick off balance, forcing him to recognize a truth he’d rather shove back into the dark.

He can feel it—-the atmosphere is sizzling. Danger is on the way. But whatever happens next, Nick is starting to find out that sometimes nothing you do can keep the peace.

So this is Nick's story, the strong, silent one. He's really smart, a real gentleman, protective of his brothers, girls, anyone lucky enough to be his friend. He is the type of guy that anyone would want to know. But he's also the kind of guy who is so busy being what everyone else wants him to be he doesn't have time to figure out who he is.  Does he want to go to college. That's a resounding yes. But can he leave Michael and his family to live a relatively normal life where no one knows he's an elemental?

And what about these feelings he's having for Quinn's dance partner, Adam. Does he finally explore that side of himself? Or does he shut the door on it once and for all?

This short novella goes by so fast you hardly realize it's done it's that compelling. Nick is such an interesting character because the only time we've seen him is through the other character's eyes. He's a twin, smart, a softer version of Gabriel. And he's vital to the peace of the family. He keeps Gabe's temper under control. What would happen if he left the state to go to college?  

And then there's Quinn. He doesn't feel anything more for her than he has for any of the other dozens of girls he's been with. But when her dance partner, Adam asked for his number, it stirred feelings in him he's been fighting for so long. How would his brothers react to that? Not well he's thinking. Then Quinn gets kicked out of her house and ends up in a bad situation and needs rescuing. Nick and Adam to the rescue and his questions are answered, at least some of them. Brigid Kemmerer proves that once again she can write sizzling tension and desire between two members of the same sex as well as she can of the opposite sex. I was cheering for Nick hoping he'd get the courage up to see what he really felt for Adam, what he obviously did not feel for Quinn.

This is a very quick powerful story about Nick and Quinn's friendship and Nick's possible feelings for Adam. Again, Brigid Kemmerer knows how to write intense desire and the lack thereof. It's an excellent story and I hope we get a whole book with this story in it. Excellent! The book leaves us knowing what Nick feels but not sure how he'll handle it from there.

As with all of Brigid's books, steamy but no sex. Just desire. And even though Gabe isn't in it (much) it's still hot. Hopefully by the time this book hits the virtual shelves Brigid will be sharing some great news she shared with me about some characters in her series!
So, this review was written a while ago and the good news is out!! I've been telling Brigid Michael is NOT too old to have his own story and FINALLY he is getting his own story in 2014!!! And not only that, but NICK gets his own book TOO!!! Finally, all the Merrick boys get their own stories! Hmmm, what else could we squeeze out of Brigid Kemmerer if we begged her?
Maybe a wedding for one or four of the Merrick brothers. (Sorry, it's going to take a lot for me to like what's his name!) All I know is that each book, novella gets more smoking hot than the last, but there is a great story to go with each one. I love the layers, the characters, the side characters, the family dynamics and each and every brother! Nobody is perfect. Even though they have these awesome powers, they have normal family problems and the not so normal ones as well. Can you tell I'm a huge fan of the Elemental Series and Brigid Kemmerer??? And did you know she answers her own emails? She does! She is a total ROCK STAR!

Thanks to Kensington Books for providing a copy to review through NetGalley. I did not receive compensation for my review. The opinions expressed are entirely my own. 



  1. This Novella was powerful and it made me my heart ache for Nick.. and desperate to read his full sotry!! PLEASE NOW!!!

  2. I totally agree! But I'm so glad he'll be getting his own book1He's so sexy with his kindness and sweetness! I'm not sure what he and Quinn worked out is going to go well, but we'll see! Very powerful story!

  3. I loved it from Nick's pov, I can't wait until book 4 to find out more. I loved the power of friendship as well!

  4. I have got to start this series soon. I have the third book and I need to get motivated. I am tired of hearing all the gushing and not knowing what is going on!

    1. Don't start with the third book! Start with Storm then read Elemental then Spark and so on from there. Do you have Spirit? You have to read this one!! But you need to get to know Nick through the other stories first.

  5. I have heard such wonderful things about this series and still haven't even read the novella. I'm so going to have to fix that with everyone pushing me to read it! Sounds fab!

    1. Oh Melissa-
      These books are right up your alley! You've got to read them!! These guys are great! There is Chris who is in Storm and gets his butt saved by a girl, Gabriel in the second book who is so funny, but is also very flawed....Oh just read the damn series why don't you!

  6. I ADORE the Merrick brothers and even Hunter (I'm actually excited for his book, too). Nick's always been such a mystery to me, so I'm thrilled to get a little more info about him. Can't wait!

    Erin @ YA Book Crush

    1. Oh, I'm having a hard time with Hunter. But I will read his book with an open mind, mmmm, the door will be cracked at least. He just seems to mess everything up. But we'll see. I haven't read his novella and I need to do that. I can't believe I missed that one!
      But this one, oh it just, not to pun, it took my breath away!

  7. Sooooo... I'm thinking I should read this series, yeah?

    1. Um...That's a big fat, WTF are you waiting for???? You should have already read this series! We should be trading emails back and forth on these guys. Never mind that I am actually old enough to be their mother, you aren't! You could be dating them!! These are the boys your dreams should be made of , sorta! lol


This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva