Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Taken by Erin Bowman Review


Taken by Erin Bowman
Author Links-




Goodreads Link and Summary-

There are no men in Claysoot. There are boys—but every one of them vanishes at midnight on his eighteenth birthday. The ground shakes, the wind howls, a blinding light descends…and he’s gone.

They call it the Heist.

Gray Weathersby’s eighteenth birthday is mere months away, and he’s prepared to meet his fate–until he finds a strange note from his mother and starts to question everything he’s been raised to accept: the Council leaders and their obvious secrets. The Heist itself. And what lies beyond the Wall that surrounds Claysoot–a structure that no one can cross and survive.

Climbing the Wall is suicide, but what comes after the Heist could be worse. Should he sit back and wait to be taken–or risk everything on the hope of the other side?


Taken is one of those books I feel like I've been waiting forever to read. But once I started reading it, I felt like I'd just started it and it was already ending. I have been dying to know, what happens to the boys during the Heist? Where do they go? How does the population survive? Since the first time I saw the premise of this book, it has probably hooked me better than any other book I've ever read a premise for simply because boys disappearing right in front of everyone?? That's a scary thought.

Gray has an older brother, Blaine who is taken in the beginning of the story. I've never had a book made me swallow the lump in my throat by the third chapter, but when Gray talked about how lonely he was, I was about to bawl! He's this big strong boy that hunts and takes care of himself, but inside, he's this scared kid. He's lost everyone he loves and he has no one to talk to about his feelings. It is really sad.

The world is very Hunger Games like. Except the men aren't men. They are boys. Otherwise it kind of reminds me of  a town in a western movie. There is no technology and rudimentary medical supplies.  They have no electricity or running water. No indoor plumbing. But except for the Heist, people seem satisfied with their lives, not living in poverty.

Then there is the Wall. It's as if it's a living breathing thing. It Walls the people of Claysoot in and the rest of whatever else is out there, out. Brave or scared individuals have climbed the tree that reaches the top of the wall and tried to look past the wall. All that's visible is black nothingness. Anyone that goes over the wall, their body turns up the next day, charred and burned. Some boys do this to escape the Heist.

I am stopping my review here. I haven't told you anything past the summary because I'm not going to spoil anything for you. But that is just one quarter of the book. It took me only a couple of hours to read this book, I couldn't put it down. Plus, I had to know what was going on. I LOVE Gray Weathersby. He is impulsive and rash, but he has so much fire and life to him, he's such a great character. He wants to save everyone and I love him for that!  The writing is easy and as you might have guessed, fast paced.  There is a lot of character growth and a lot of action. Things that could have been over explained were thankfully only gone over once.  Everything was explained just enough, but not in too much detail, to make it interesting but not cumbersome.  And no cliffhangers or insta love!

I'm ready for the next book, please! Can I be a Beta reader? Please!!!

Great start to a new dystopian series! Recommended for lovers of dystopians with some romance, maybe a bit of sci-fi and great characters.

Let me know if you read it and what you thought!

I received an E-Arc of this novel from HarperTeen through Edelweiss for review. The opinions expressed are my own. I was not compensated for my review.


Heather



20 comments:

  1. Happy to hear you loved it so much.. I wasn't completely sold. I liked it but didn't love it... The romance was kind f weird for me... But.. I'm looking forward to the next one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the way she did it. It was fun to see it kind of backwards from the way it usually is. But I didn't want to mention it because I didn't want to include any spoilers. That synopsis doesn't give much away so I didn't want to give anything away either.

      Delete
  2. I've been wanting to read, Taken. It looks like such a good book, and I love the book cover! Your review has intrigued me! I've heard mixed reviews on this, but can't wait to check it out for myself.


    Lindy@ A Bookish Escape

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't read any reviews on it at all before I read it yesterday so I had no expectations. I'm glad I didn't. I hope if you read it that you'll enjoy it. Do you read YA? I'll have to check your blog today and see what's going on !

      Heather

      Delete
  3. Definitely got a western vibe at least for the first part you described. Though I found this book absolutely addicting, it wasn't love-something about it just never fully clicked for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry it was love for you. I was so excited when I finished this! I'm disappointed no one I know felt the same. I so want to talk about what's going to happen next. I have so many ideas!

      Delete
  4. It is sad how Grey lost so much-it made me connect to him emotionally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Brandi! That's exactly why I was drawn to him at first!

      Delete
  5. I'm glad you were such a fan of this one Heather! It's gotten a lot of not so positive reviews, so it's really nice to read your thoughts. I didn't love it quite as much as you did, but I did enjoy Gray and I'm super curious about the world itself. I was definitely a bit emotional early on in the book as well with Blaine, the entire beginning was just awesome:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm feeling as I'm working my way from the bottom of the comments to the top that I need to defend Gray. I really didn't see him as a bad guy at all. Did I miss something? Totally read a different book? I was so entertained by the whole thing. But I read your review and understand your feelings on it, absolutely. I'm glad I wasn't the only one that felt emotional about Blaine. There are so many things that can happen next...I feel like a time bomb is waiting to go off.

      Delete
  6. Ooooooooh. *checks doorstep* WHY ISN'T MY BOOK HERE YET? I'm so psyched to read this one. I'm glad to hear how much you enjoyed it, because I've been looking forward to this one for a while, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely think you'll like Gray. He's not quite a 'good" guy, but he's not the bad guy. I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did. He's no Theon Greyjoy! lol
      BTW, I listened to the audible sample of GOT, I tuned it out. I'll have to read it. Or do both together. Follow along in the book. lol

      Delete
  7. So glad that you loved this one. I really like the sound of the world building. Just for that it makes it sound wonderful. Curious about Gray. Sounds like people either loved him or hated him. Makes him more curious to me. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I identified with him because I have a son almost that age. He's nothing like him, but I am more aware of what that age is like. And all the passages I remember are how scared he was, of being a father, of the heist, of losing his brother, of being alone, of many things. He had a lot of good qualities.
      And some bad ones. He was very human.

      Delete
  8. This book is completely frustrating me. I have read three reviews today. One didn't like it, one was middle of the road and you love it. Some people either like Gray while others hate him. I can't get a beat on this at all! I was supposed to review it this past Monday but that fell through. I will read it soon and decide for myself. I am perplexed for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidi- I know why some people don't like Gray. But remembering he is a 17 yr old boy just making it up as he goes along, kind of bouncing from one shock to the next for most of the story, I loved him. It broke my heart to read his feelings about losing his brother to "The Heist". He does do something stupid, but I think the author has him do that to show how far his grief goes. He is utterly alone. And the clock is ticking on his "heist" countdown clock.

      I didn't address anything else because I didn't want to spoil what happens. I guess that's why I didn't read anyone else's review. I wanted it to be a surprise. I had no idea what would happen if Gray went over the Wall.

      Delete
  9. This is the most positive review I've seen for this. Most everyone has said they didn't care for the characters. I have a bit more hope now. I know that I love male POV's and I'm dying to know what happens to him! I have a copy so I'll read it one of these days. You have me more excited about it now though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Candace I really loved the characters, especially Gray. I hope you enjoy it when you read it. I plan to order a copy so I have the series to read. I was so happy to finally learn what happens to the boys after the "Heist"! There is so much I didn't talk about, but I wanted anyone that read just my review to have the excitement of not knowing what would happen next. I just didn't want to spoil it. Looks like I should have gone into some more detail, but I still stand by Gray and my decision not to review past the synopsis.

    I will be excited to see what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad you loved this one - I really want to read it, but wasn't sure it would pan out!

    - Jessica @ Book Sake

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have seen some really mixed reviews on this one and now I don't know what to think! Your enthusiasm has me wanting to pick it up though. :)

    ReplyDelete

This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva