Tuesday, April 30, 2013

The Eternity Cure by Julie Kagawa- Review

The Eternity Cure (Blood of Eden 2) by Julie Kagawa
Release Date: April 30th, 2013
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Received From: Publisher through NetGalley
Hardcover 448 pages


From Goodreads-Allison Sekemoto has vowed to rescue her creator, Kanin, who is being held hostage and tortured by the psychotic vampire Sarren. The call of blood leads her back to the beginning—New Covington and the Fringe, and a vampire prince who wants her dead yet may become her wary ally.
Even as Allie faces shocking revelations and heartbreak like she’s never known, a new strain of the Red Lung virus that decimated humanity is rising to threaten human and vampire alike.


With the Immortal Rules I warned you that you would not be reading The Iron Fey when you ventured into the dark world of vampires and humans and rabids. Go deeper. Go darker. Go underground. That has become the only safe place to be in most of the cities left in this decimated world. Sarren, that crazed, demented, vicious vampire has Kanin and Allison has been following the call of his blood to hers for weeks now. Ever since she was kicked out of Eden. Ever since she left Zeke and the others in that island of humans, free of vampires, virus and rabids. Allison is still unique among vampires, hanging onto her humanity, she still hates to kill and can't stand to let the monster in her have control. And yet that's what she knows she is, a monster. She battles with herself more in this novel as she's been a vampire a lot longer now. She's had blood out of a wine glass, out of a blood bag and out of a human's neck. She's seen the difference and knows what tastes the best, but still tries to deny that part of herself.

Unexpectedly, she meets up with Jackal, her half brother, as Kanin sired them both. He too is haphazardly looking for Kanin after he lost his city in a battle with Allison and Zeke and company in The Immortal Rules.  As they travel through the sewers of New Covington to enter the city, finding the gates locked, they stumble upon Zeke. Time and again Allison is torn between wanting to kiss him or tearing a vein open. But she does neither. She reminds herself, she is the monster and he is a human and it can never work. As we read about Allison's interactions with people, she sounds, inside like she's a passionate, living human being, but it seems that outwardly, she is that impassive face that stares at us from the cover of The Immortal Rules, (originally)

Jackal is revealed to us as a kind of comic relief. He's fast with an axe, his preferred weapon and fitting considering his coarse nature. He calls humans "blood bags" and "meat sacks". Zeke is ready to run him through with a stake on more than one occasion. But Jackal proves useful especially when they first encounter Sarren.

Zeke is different, too. He seems to be a warrior. He is well armed when Allison and Jackal find him and he's running a sort of refugee camp. He's a natural leader. He has a crossbow that shoots vampires with wooden stakes and he's an excellent shot with a gun. He also swears that he will kill Jackal one day for what he did to Zeke's father and his other "family" members.

And then there is Kanin. Tortured for months, barely sane when Allison finds him. He is no longer her mentor, but still cautions her about getting involved with humans. He is a man of few words, but they always seem to have such an impact.

We learn more about the virus. About a new strain of it And more about the experiments that were going on with the vampires. We also get a look inside The Vampire Towers. We even get to meet the Prince.

The tone of this book is very dark with an ending that will, well just see what you think. I don't know what I think. I need to discuss it with someone! Jenny??? Steph- read this one yet? Melissa?  Anyone?
I really need to discuss that end!

Definitely for the more mature YA reader.17 and up. Lots of killing, language, I think there were some sexual references.



To Buy Links-

 AmazonKindle/AudibleBandNBookDepositoryIndiebound/Kobo\

Author Links-

Website/Blog/Blood of Eden Fan Page/Twitter/Facebook



13 comments:

  1. The ending totally blew me away. I couldn't believe it and I don't know what exactly could've happened. Craziness!!
    Decide to switch back to blogger comments? Email me if you want :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't stick it out with Disqus. There was nowhere to comment on Monday morning and I had too many reviews this week to put up with that. I'll wait until they get things running smoother and try again. They were very helpful in answering questions though. They answered emails and tweets.

      I kind of don't understand that last bit, but won't discuss it in the comments.

      Delete
  2. I LOVED THIS BOOK SO MUCH HEATHER! And yes, let's talk about that ending! *dies* *gets up and starts sobbing* *dies again*

    IT HURTS! I love how dark this world is and how truly different it is from the Iron Fey, I'm always impressed when an author can write two different series in the same genre (I'm just lumping both as paranormal YA) and have them both be so unique. Can it be time for book 3 please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just have no expectations for book 3 because I know some people are not going to survive. And I just don't think there will ever be a cure to being a vampire. And that ending. Oh, I didn't think I could sob any harder. I knew it was coming because I could tell from the way things were going. This is something I need to discuss. In email!

      Delete
  3. I will discuss the ending with you. I am planning on picking this up next week. I can't wait to dig in and meet Jackal. I have read I think four reviews for this one today and everyone is loving it! I am glad Kanin is back and has a bigger role that was my big disappointment that he was lacking in the first one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you kind of met Jackal. He was the king of Chicago and killed Zeke's father and some of the members of their traveling group. I think Allison pushed him out a window of a very tall building while he was trying to kill her. The raiders they were always hiding from were his. So yeah, that's Jackal. Nice guy, but he's always got some wiseass crack to make.

      Delete
  4. LOL! Well, in a way we are discussing it since I posted my review on the same day! Jinx! :D

    Didn't you just love Jackal???? So hoping he'll be in the next book. Need a good laugh. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, I hope he'll be in the next one. Well if Allison doesn't kill him. Or maybe Kanin. But I don't think they will. They need him. He'll be there, I'm pretty sure. Sorry I'm getting to your review so late.
      Funny though I saw a lot of people had this reviewed today.

      Delete
  5. I had a really hard time with this book. I don't know if it's the slow moving plot and/or being a bit burnout with vamps. For whatever reason I couldn't click with this book so I opted out to read the next book. I'm glad that you liked it despite the cliffy/tease at the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We just aren't on the same page with most books these days. Though some we are. I've been a terrible commenter lately. So sorry! I will be better.

      This one is very dark, I didn't find it slow. I was waiting for the boogeyman (Sarren) to jump out at any moment so I was a bit on edge reading it. Also I read really late at night so I'm the only one up and the house is dark that kind of adds to the mood. Maybe you need to set the mood for your reading!!

      Delete
  6. Ahhh Sorry! I have the first one on my kindle, but I haven't made it there yet. Feel free to email me spoilers though. I'm not sure when I'll actually be able to get to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not emailing you spoilers. We'll discuss it when you get to it. By then I'll probably have the third book. Just the ending, to me, is a bit ambiguous. Which is better than it being concrete in this particular case. Anyway it would make absolutely no sense to you. But thank you!!

      Delete
  7. I really enjoyed this book too-there were a lot of exciting moments and I was pleased to be back in this world.

    ReplyDelete

This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva