Friday, July 26, 2013

In The After by Demetria Lunetta- Shhh, Don't Let Them Hear You!

In The After by Demitria Lunetta
Published June 25th, 2013 Available Now
Publisher: Harper Teen
Hardcover 400 pages
Purchased from Bookstore
To Buy Links-
Amazon/ Kindle/ Audible/ Barnes and Noble/ The Book Depository/ Kobo 
Goodreads Synopsis-They hear the most silent of footsteps.
They are faster than anything you've ever seen.
And They won't stop chasing you...until you are dead.

Amy is watching TV when it happens, when the world is attacked by Them. These vile creatures are rapidly devouring mankind. Most of the population is overtaken, but Amy manages to escape—and even rescue “Baby,” a toddler left behind in the chaos. Marooned in Amy’s house, the girls do everything they can to survive—and avoid Them at all costs.

After years of hiding, they are miraculously rescued and taken to New Hope, a colony of survivors living in a former government research compound. While at first the colony seems like a dream with plenty of food, safety, and shelter, New Hope slowly reveals that it is far from ideal. And Amy soon realizes that unless things change, she’ll lose Baby—and much more.

Rebellious, courageous, and tender, this unforgettable duo will have you on the edge of your seat as you tear through the pulse-pounding narrow escapes and horrifying twists of fate in this thrilling debut from author Demitria Lunetta.

Oh, ho,ho!!! Am I glad I got this one! You do not want to miss this one even if you don't like apocalyptic or dystopian novels. This is one scary apocalypse! They, they are so damn scary. Demitria Lunetta knows how to write suspense and make you keep quiet while you're reading. I barely breathed! And then, the dystopian part of the novel, just as scary but in a "Everything will be okay," kind of way. Excellent mix, perfect story!

The characters of course make the story for me. Amy is what she believes to be the sole survivor of an alien invasion. She is all alone at home when they attack and they decimate the human population. But Amy finds Baby, a toddler when she finds her, while out on a scavenge run for food. They live a silent life for three years, Amy teaching her how to sign as they live together adapting ASL for their needs. Then one night, they are swimming in the lake and get "rescued."

There are other characters but Amy and Baby make up the first third of the book and remain prominent throughout the book. I'll leave you to discover the rest.

The setting plays a big role in this novel. There are several settings depending on which part of the novel you are reading. The start of the story is set in the suburbs of Chicago. That is where Amy survives with Baby. Everyone is dead. Houses are broken into but only by the aliens as they pursued their prey. There are no rotting bodies, just blood stains. Night is the only safe time to venture out. The decaying buildings and world along with encroaching wilderness is the setting for the first three years. After they are rescued, New Hope is the setting. A college campus/research facility. It is orderly, has strict rules and unbreachable borders that the aliens can't even approach. New Hope is safety and food and people and comfort and home. But Amy and Baby are ripped out of one world, one of fear and wildness and a type of freedom and thrown into a world of borders, constraint and containment.

The story is so compelling that despite being 400 pages I had to read it all in one sitting. I just couldn't put it down. Amy has been living as the sole provider and defender as more than an adult for the last three years. Then she gets to New Hope and is expected to fall into the role of a child, go to school, be taken care of, follow rules. It doesn't work for her. She has a hard time adjusting to this new ordered, structured way of life with rules and authority figures. And she doesn't like being separated from Baby even for a few minutes. I could understand her frustration with the adults that ran things not understanding her need to be herself and not fall back into "Before" patterns. Nothing should go back to the way things were "Before." There is a new reality. Kids can't be fed a diet of fairy tales and nursery rhymes. They have to be taught the truth. But I have a feeling we don't know the truth, yet.

If you love apocalyptic and dystopian novels, you will not want to miss this one. It is book one in the series and I will definitely be anxiously awaiting the next novel. I don't feel like it ended on a cliffhanger. It left on a decent place, but man do I have questions!!! Guess I'll be waiting!


Contact Demitria Lunetta


10 comments:

  1. Oh I so agree loved her and baby in this one, such a great pair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I loved how protective she was of Baby! I think without Baby, Amy might have given up.

      Delete
  2. Ooooh, I've been seeing reviews for this and it looks scary. Not sure I'm into alien books though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't not read this one! You have to read it. I promise you won't be sorry!!

      Delete
  3. Glad to see you loved this one as well. I thought it was ferociously scary the first half and the second half wasn't quite as good but so chilling. My biggest complaint with this one is I hated the flashbacks in the second half they make it a little rough. Yes, the ending wasn't exactly a cliffie but it felt chopped off, still this is one series I am planning on continuing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew what was coming so I felt like it had to end like that. It was too late to start into anything new. I felt like it was a good stopping point. I can't wait to continue this series. I was so scared in the beginning. New Hope had it's own kind of terror.

      Delete
  4. Oh I do like dystopians I just can't read them back to back. Usually need something fluffy in between. :) This just sounds fab and I really want to meet Amy. I love the no cliffie ending. I don't mind having questions as long as you know it is a series and will get to those answers later. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh this is a great one, Mel! You are going to love it! I would say don't miss it!!

      Delete
  5. I've been a little scared to read this one, it just sounds so scary! But I read The 5th Wave and survived. I'm not sure if this one is a bit scarier, or more intense, anyway. Either way, I have a copy so when I'm feeling brave I'll pick it up and give it a go. Thanks for the review, it has me more excited to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Candace- I am the biggest chicken. I don't read Stephen King. I won't go to scary movies, I even close my eyes and put my fingers in my ears when trailers for scary movies come on. (Especially The Conjuring). But I survived this one. I think you'll be okay. But it is tense!

      Delete

This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva