Thursday, July 25, 2013

This is W.A.R. by Lisa Roecker and Laura Roecker- A Delicious Book of Secrets and Revenge

This is W.A.R. by Lisa Roecker and Laura Roecker
Published July 2, 2013 available now
Published by Soho Teen
Hardback 288 pages
To Buy Links-
Amazon/ Kindle/ Audible/ Barnes and Noble/ Book Depository/ Indiebound/ Kobo
Goodreads SynopsisThis is W.A.R. begins with a victim who can no longer speak for herself, and whose murder blossoms into a call-to-arms. Enter four very different girls, four very different motives to avenge Willa Ames-Rowan, and only one rule to start: Destroy James Gregory and his family at any cost. Willa's initials spell the secret rallying cry that spurs the foursome to pool their considerable resources and deliver their particular brand of vigilante justice. Innocence is lost, battles are won—and the pursuit of the truth ultimately threatens to destroy them all.

So this is one of those guilty pleasure books that you can read in a couple of hours, maybe on the beach or maybe curled up in your favorite reading spot during a thunderstorm. And I had the added pleasure of actually reading one of the books I purchased!! Nobody fall off their chairs or anything. I did it twice this week. Don't choke on your morning coffee. I didn't feel the world stop turning but I'm sure a few stars shot across the sky in glee. So back to the book. I was ridiculously happy reading this book about revenge against two rich boys that get away with treating girls badly and now killing Willa Ames-Rowan. I love guys! I really do. I married one and I have two boys. But really, I love nothing better than when a girl or girls get even with a guy or guys who really deserve it! I don't know why. Maybe because I'm reliving my teenage years when I was always the dumped instead of the dumper?? I don't know I just know I love it when a girl gets her justified revenge! So sit back and enjoy this one on the beach or after a messy break up or just because!

The characters in this one are numerous, but we get to know each one really well because each one narrates for several chapters. It isn't confusing at all because each girl has a chance to tell her story and her connection to Willa and what she knows about the night she died. After her narration is done, someone else picks up the story and that character is seen through the eyes of the next narrator. It works very well for this story.
-The characters are Rose, who isn't exactly a member of the country club. Her mother runs it but won't let her fraternize with the help. She wants Rose to make connections with the rich kids her age so she can climb the social ladder. That isn't what Rose wants.
-Then there's Willa's crowd- Lina, Sloane and Willa's step sister, Madge. They are used to summers spent at the country club together with Willa and it just isn't the same without her. Madge is especially upset, everywhere reminds her of Willa. And she more than any of the others is determined to make the Gregorys pay!
-There are also the two Gregory boys that we only get to see through little scenes that aren't very flattering.
Trip, the outgoing, social playboy, life of the party and worst of the two, but not the one seen leaving with Willa in his boat and coming back without her. He is supposedly hated by his grandfather, the Captain who owns the club and Hawthorne Lake, but that's just rumor. And then there is James Gregory, he left the yacht that night with Willa in his boat. An hour later, he came back alone. But both boys are going down!

The setting is a lake community that is run by the richest man around, the Captain. He is THE Gregory and he has enough money to buy his grandsons out of trouble. Their parents died in a car accident that Trip is supposed to have caused. There isn't a lot of information on that. Basically the lake and the country club is where everything takes place.

The story is pretty straightforward. Four girls bond together over their common desire to get even and then to get revenge. But each of them has a crucial bit of information about that night that they don't realize they have. It takes awhile for them to get everything together to understand what happened. The most eerie parts of the story are the parts where we hear (read) Willa's last thoughts and just how close she was to living.

I've already said what I thought. This is a decadent pleasure read. It's about four girls scheming and carrying out scenarios to bring down two playboys who seem to be untouchable. And they do prove to be untouchable for awhile. Some things are left unresolved, but not Willa's murder and that was what the book was about. So the ending completely satisfied me. Anyone that loves scheming teen girls sticking it to boys or rich untouchable boys that deserve it will enjoy this one. It's a contemporary. No paranormal to it. Just lots of fun!
Contact The Authors



12 comments:

  1. Oh, yay! I'm so glad you loved this one, Heather. I won it from a fellow blogger, and it sounds just brilliant. Plus, Lisa and Laura have this great way with words that just completely envelop me in the story. Scheming girls remind me of PLL, so that will always be for me ;)

    Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa! I love PLL but this is the first book I've read by Lisa and Laura. I have to say it was so much fun and it won't be the last. I think I'll try the Liar Society next. Oh the revenge is so sweet!!
      Hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  2. It was fun reading your thoughts on this one Heather! I've read some less-than positive reviews for it, so it was really nice to read something a bit more favorable. I do love a guilty pleasure read as long as I go in knowing that's what it will be, but I'm wondering if this one might ask me to suspend too much disbelief for me to enjoy it. Though you loved it so that's a point in its favor for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't find myself suspending belief too much. Believe me, I grew up in a rich crowd at, of all places, church. They were all Yacht Club and private schools and I was no Yacht Club and public school. I heard some pretty wild stories that don't make this seem too far fetched. The difference being the parties happened at debutante balls as opposed to on a yacht.

      Now the revenge stuff, no that didn't happen. Maybe in public school....

      Delete
  3. OMG I haven't had time to read this yet and now I am DYYYYYING to. I have like 3 books I'm in the middle of and NEED to finish and I am going to read this one this weekend... OMG NEED NOW!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are the one that made me get this one! When I saw it on your blog I just knew I had to have it. I am so glad I read it!!

      Delete
  4. A decadent pleasure novel with a wide array of characters sounds great to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great for laying around to read, Brandi!!

      Delete
  5. I was sitting here sipping Coke and I didn't spit it out when I found out you actually read a book you purchased. I know I know I want to do the same. I am so sick and tired of having my schedule dictated to me that I am about ready to say to hell with it and just start reading whatever....Anyway.... I read a book by these ladies in December there other series the name escapes me right now because my head hurts... headache today.... anyway I liked it and I was so tempted to request this but I am trying to cut down on the pile. It sounds like a lot of fun. Scheming girls getting back at playboys who deserve to go down what's not to like? Must add this to the list see what you did?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and the WIcked Button looks splendid on your blog. I am always interested to see what button everyone picks!

      Delete
  6. Woo HOO! I'm so stoked and jelly that you got to read one of your own books. Who knew when that would become a luxury? LOL

    I think you just needed a bit of estrogen into your testosterone mix so it makes sense you loved the girl just giving it back to the guy. Oh this book sounds like loads of fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So fun to read some books just for fun! This sounds like a good one and I love the cover. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete

This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva