Monday, August 12, 2013

Dreamscape Blog Tour- Review by Christie Rich

















Thanks for stopping by my blog for the Dreamscape tour! This tour is hosted by CBB Book Promotions and you can find the tour page with the schedule and links HERE.


Dreamscape (Netherworld Book 1) by Christie Rich
Published: July 9th 2013
Publisher: Tarser Publishing
Available Now
Received as part of Blog Tour with CBB Blog Tours
Kindle 300 pages
To Buy Links-
Every night before Amelia falls asleep she makes a wish to dream of him – the man who calls her to their beautiful private oasis, her sanctuary where she is free of her greedy landlord’s threats. But tonight, he will not call Amelia to him. Tonight, another man will step into her world to claim her. Tonight, Amelia’s shattering reality will crumble - and disappear into the Dreamscape…along with her freedom.

When Amelia dreams tonight, her nightmare becomes her new world where Seth is her captor and anything is possible…except escape. Seth needs Amelia to break the curse that binds him to the Dreamscape. He must convince her that she was made to free him, that she was made to join him.

For if he fails, he will never escape his prison, and he will lose Earth to the Netherworld where the evil Erobos wait to consume the human realm and everything in it. If he fails, Seth will lose the one thing that matters to him: Amelia.

This novel had an incredibly unique world-the Dreamscape and I had as hard a time understanding it as Amelia, the main character did. The first half of the novel she fights Seth, her "captor" over what the Dreamscape is and being allowed into it for her training. The truth is, and this is my interpretation, it's a dreamworld where certain "people" can traverse through dreams through portals. There are good and evil beings that do this, kind of like good dreams and nightmares. But these nightmares are permanent. 
Seth, his brothers and his team are trying to keep the human world from being overtaken by the evil nightmares. Now this is way oversimplified, but that's the bare bones of the world. It's actually much, much more complicated.

Amelia is interesting. She's a very strong, independent character. She's had a rough life and when we are introduced to her she's sleeping her last night in an apartment she shared with the only woman that ever took care of her who has died. She's had nothing to eat for a few days and she just wants to escape into her dreams to a mystery boy that she loves. Instead Seth whisks her away to his world and presents her with walls of fire, a house that provides for her every need or want and "Oh yeah, your trapped here until you find the key that lets me out of this prison."  `I thought I had trouble connecting to her, but I think I was trying so hard to understand the world that I missed her character. I went back and read the first several chapters. I LOVE Amelia! She is Kick A**! Not just because she tries to escape, not just because she doesn't act on her feelings for Seth that she has right away (no insta love, there is a reasonable explanation) but because she realizes that if she accepts what's happening to her and what she sees, then she might possibly be losing her mind. Or maybe she's dreaming. Or maybe worse. But this is the first character I've ever read that admitted that she wasn't going to accept magic after the first couple of pages just because this gorgeous hunk of a guy shows it to her. And Amelia is fierce. She knows lonely so what few friends she makes, she wants to keep even if it means sacrifice. She won't leave a man behind. Amelia is someone I would definitely want to be friends with!

Now, Seth, he sounds swoon worthy, but he talks a lot about how much he desires Amelia. A lot! I wanted him to just be a man about it and make his move. Amelia would have slapped him and told him what was what if she didn't want him. He reminded me a lot of Henry from Aimee Carter's Goddess series. Except (Henry never was very demonstrative.)  Seth is very old, centuries or more so he is rather old fashioned in his speech and I suppose that's why he does more talking about Amelia than action. Still, it was a bit tiring to read about.  

The world is the world of dreams and it's as varied as dreams can be. It's complicated like I said and you just have to dive in, maybe read it a couple of times to understand, but it really works.  I think I love Seth's house. You just have to ask for what you want and it's there. The only downside is never being in the real world, no real ocean, no real sun, no real skies. Just pale imitations. 

The story is good versus evil. The Erobos are stalking the Oneiroi trying to kill all the light with their darkness. The best part of the story is that when Seth explains it to Amelia she says:

I'm going to pretend I understood the majority of what you just said. Why is everything so complicated? ( Kindle ARC )
That's pretty much how I felt but I just kept going and once the story got going it all fell in place. The action in the book takes place in the latter half of the story and you understand what Amelia has to do with everything and what everyone's part is in this war.

I thought this was a fun story. It has dark undertones, but Amelia is so snarky and has such a big presence in the book that she really lights it up. There is definitely a romance in it and an unusual mythology. I'll definitely be continuing on with this series and hope the author keeps Amelia just as fun and witty.

Recommended for lovers of YA paranormal, romance and mythology. At times it can be heavy on the sexual desire though it's expressed in polite terms. So I'd let my 13 yr old son read it if he wanted to.
About the Author
I grew up daydreaming about fairytales, and my love for discovering new worlds has never died. I am not one of those writers who always knew I would write. I thought that was what other people did until one day, a few years ago, I took a challenge from a friend and typed my first words. My journey has been wonderful, and I cannot imagine a day where I would ever give up writing. My love for reading is what fueled my imagination in the first place and still does. When I am not writing or reading, I enjoy family time with my husband and two children.  My family and I live in a quiet community  in Northern Utah, and I am so thankful for the rich life I have been blessed with.




And for the Giveaway

a Rafflecopter giveaway

Thanks to CBB Book Promotions for being part of the tour!

31 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear that you said that sexual situations are politely written, Heather. That's a hot button issue with me and literature...colour me a prude ;) But seriously, I love that you've brought this one to my attention because I haven't read a good story involving mythology for a while. Wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melissa. I actually don't like graphic sex scenes in books, so I don't write them. I prefer fade to black. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one, lol.

      Delete
    2. Melissa-

      Hot button issue for me too! I have a problem with this whole New Adult genre because of that. But Seth is ancient in terms of manners so everything is respectful. And then Christie leaves things to your imagination or as she says fades to black.

      Delete
    3. Yeah, I'm trying to figure out a way to let people know that, although my books are New Adult (because of the age range of the protagonist and the issues in the books...discovering oneself and life) that there will not be any of the current racy trend going on in my work.

      I think in time the genre will settle down, but I also think there are a lot of authors out there who think they HAVE to put that stuff in because it's an expectation of the genre. Well, if that's the case, I'll just call my books YA, even though the protagonists are too old :)

      Delete
    4. Christie, I like the fade to black. I have a good enough imagination that I can fill in the details myself. :) I don't know if you have looked at CTP (Clean Teen Publishing) but they offer just the rating aspect without the publishing part for authors.

      Delete
    5. I haven't seen them, Ginny. Thanks for letting me know! I'm going to check them out for sure :)

      Delete
  2. Good morning, Heather! Thank you so much for taking the time to read and review Dreamscape! I'm so happy that you "got" Amelia and that you enjoyed the book.

    And just so your readers know in case they are interested, I'm keeping Dreamscape at 99¢ throughout the tour.

    Thanks for kicking things off and for being so great! And Amelia won't let me make her anything other than what she is, lol.

    Much love,

    Christie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christie-

      I love female characters like Amelia! I love that she questioned her sanity if she accepted what was going on. So many characters just say, "Okay, you're a vampire and are okay with that. But not Amelia. I loved that! She is always thinking, always funny. I loved her!

      Delete
    2. Double YAY!!! She's a hard character and didn't want to open up to me at first. There are times when I literally have to fight for every word from her, lol. She is so unique to me and I'm so glad that translated for you too!

      Delete
  3. Such a beautiful cover and great to hear that the world building is well done

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brandi! I love the cover too. Each cover in the series will be designed to represent a specific mood that is important to the story.

      Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
    2. I agree about the cover! And yes, the world building is detailed.

      Delete
  4. Hmmm. I did struggle with Henry in the Goddess Test series, so I completely understand what you're saying about Seth in this one Heather! Stop talking about your feelings and just act on them, yeah? :) TAKE A LEAP OF FAITH SETH! Despite that though, you clearly enjoyed this one, so it can't have bother you all that much which is good. Love the colors on the cover, and it just sounds like an all-around unique read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenny,

      I didn't ever read Goddess Test, but it is on my to-read.

      As far as Seth goes, I got mad at him quite a bit while writing Dreamscape. It's funny because before I started writing I thought that the characters did whatever the writer told them to. So not true! lol. Seth is very stubborn :)

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
    2. Ha-ha! Christie you need to read the Goddess Test series. Seth only reminds me of Henry in that one way. Otherwise Seth is very much a take charge, act on his feelings guy.

      I should have said that eventually Seth gets around to letting Amelia know how he feels. But there is a big obstacle that keeps him from doing that at first and it's why he just talks instead of acts. Oh and did I say that the story is told from both characters' points of view? LOVE THAT!

      Delete
    3. Hehe, I know, Heather! It's on my never ending list. I'm sure you have the same problem, lol.

      I'm so glad you enjoyed having both points of view! I love getting into the heads of the important characters in the story, and it wouldn't be the same if it was told by only one of them.

      Delete
  5. I'm so glad you loved this one Heather! And I'm glad Amelia grew on you. She is a little abrasive at times, but you've got to admire her for being so strong. Wonderful review! Thanks so much for hosting a tour stop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went back to get a quote from Amelia and found myself falling in love with her. I think I was concentrating so hard on the world building that I wasn't focusing on my favorite part, the characters. When I let that go, everything fell into place.

      I really enjoyed this novel and I will definitely be reading the next books in the series! Thanks for thinking of me for the tour Candace!

      And thank you Christie for taking the time to stop by and answer the people that comment! That doesn't happen often (or at all)! I appreciate it!

      Delete
    2. Oh, you're welcome and really? What's the point in having a tour if you don't participate? lol. I love to talk shop, so to speak, and I'm so glad that you want to continue the series! Yay!!!

      Delete
  6. I love snarky characters! The world building and dream stuff sounds complex and interesting and I am always up for something different. I am so happy that you enjoyed this one Heather as I have it up for review here very soon. That necklace is stunning. I totally want it! I am officially back this week and catching up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, I love the necklace, too, Heidi! I went looking for something unique and fell in love with the Primal Painter. She has the most amazing artwork!

      I'm so glad you're excited for Dreamscape and I hope you enjoy it. It is complicated and setting the groundwork for mythology that isn't anywhere else, so it does take a little more thinking, lol.

      Delete
    2. Heidi!

      Yay! I've missed you! You'll love the inner monologue and the verbal dialogue of Amelia. She's really funny. She checks herself often to see if she's crazy, dreaming or if things are real.

      And the Dreamscape is complicated, but I say just go with Amelia's approach and when they actually get into the Dreamscape it becomes much clearer!
      Hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  7. Oh yea, I can see Seth upsetting me. Get on with it. :)

    I like the idea of the dreamscape can almost give you what you want. It is just a facsimile. Very intriguing. I like the philosophy of that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melissa. The Dreamscape offers endless possibilities, yet pales in the shadow of reality.

      Thanks for considering Dreamscape!

      Delete
    2. The house, Seth's can give you anything you want really. Like food, clothes etc.
      But the Dreamscape, yep, you got it. Just dreams. Hmm, you have me thinking a little more about the deeper meaning of some things. Man I don't think I'll ever see the deeper meaning if I can't discuss the book with someone!

      Delete
    3. Hahaha! Heather, I love discussing meaning of books. I wish I could talk to you, but I'd probably spoil the whole darn thing :)

      Delete
  8. Great review! I am really looking forward to Book 2 in this series. Also, Christie's Elemental Enmity Series is fantastic!!! I've read all of them and loved every one!!! P.S. Christie if you're reading this, I have them on my list to review soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, YAY!!!! Thanks, Ginny! I'm so glad and excited and YAY!!!

      You rock, Ginny!!! <3<3<3<3<3

      I'm hoping to release book two in the beginning of January.

      Delete
  9. Great review. I look forward to reading Dreamscape. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I definitely have to add this to my MUST read pile! And the cover is beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete

This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva