Thursday, August 1, 2013

Mythos Academy Double Header- Spartan Frost and Midnight Frost by Jennifer Estep

Spartan Frost by Jennifer Estep
Published June 25th
Available Now
Publisher: Kensington Publishing Company
Purchased
E-Book- 60 pages
To Buy Links-
Kindle/ NookKobo
Goodreads Synopsis
Estep blends the perfect amount of action, romance and comedy. --"RT Book Reviews " I'm Logan Quinn, the deadliest Spartan warrior at Mythos Academy. At least I was--until the day I almost killed Gwen Frost.

Professor Metis and Nickamedes say that I'm fine, that Loki and the Reapers don't have a hold on me anymore, but I can't risk it. I can't risk hurting Gwen again. So I'm leaving Mythos and going somewhere far, far away.

I know Gwen wonders what's happening to me, whether I'm safe. I can't tell her, but this is my story. . .

Well, I don't know about you guys, but I was kind of hoping that a story featuring Logan, from Logan's point of view would, you know, feature HIS FACE!!! No such luck though. But this is a nice little peek at where Logan's mind is after he almost killed Gwen and why he doesn't want to go back. It also shows the relationship between him and his father. I liked seeing this other side of Logan. And this definitely has something to do with the next book in the series, Midnight Frost. Overall it was interesting and a nice little tide over until Midnight Frost released.



Midnight Frost by Jennifer Estep
Published July 30th
Available Now
Publisher: Kensington Publishing Company
From Publisher for Review
To Buy Links-
Amazon/ Kindle/ AudioCD/ Audible/ Barnes and Noble/ Book Depository/ Indiebound/ Kobo
Goodreads Synopsis-
Here we go again … 

Just when it seems life at Mythos Academy can’t get any more dangerous, the Reapers of Chaos manage to prove me wrong. It was just a typical night at the Library of Antiquities — until a Reaper tried to poison me. The good news is I’m still alive and kicking. The bad news is the Reaper poisoned someone else instead. 

As Nike’s Champion, everyone expects me to lead the charge against the Reapers, even though I’m still hurting over what happened with Spartan warrior Logan Quinn. I’ve got to get my hands on the antidote fast — otherwise, an innocent person will die. But the only known cure is hidden in some creepy ruins — and the Reapers are sure to be waiting for me there …

Well, of course the Reapers are waiting for her. They need to kill Nike's Champion. Yeah, so maybe it was the wrong time to read this one or something because Midnight Frost did not seem as engaging as the other books in the series. Having read numerous other reviews though, I seem to be in the minority, or rather, the only one, so I'm thinking the fault may lie in my mindset when I read it and not in the book itself. So I'll just do a mini review.

I really missed Logan in this one. I mean he was there but the relationship between he and Gwen was very different. I missed the banter and the fun. I think I'm struggling with believing four kids can kill a train car full of Reapers all without getting hurt. It was a little over the top for me.

Now what I loved was how Gwen found the exact thing they needed for the antidote. And I also loved visiting another Academy, meeting new students, and hiking to a ruins on the top of a mountain in WINTER! (in Colorado)! That was unbelievable. And the description of the ruins made it sound so beautiful, like paradise on the top of the mountain. But, of course, there is always the threat of a reaper attack.  I also LOVED how Gwen got up in Logan's business about how he wasn't the only one that was hurt and afraid. I think Logan is a little bit selfish, a little bit woe is me. Yes, he went through something traumatic, but so did Gwen. She died! So, of the two, if she can go back to Mythos and wants to see him, he needs to get off the couch and be the Spartan we know he can be. Then of course, I loved the whole time with the Griffins. 

So I suppose it really was that I missed the banter with Logan. I hate to think that is the only thing that makes me read this series because I've read five books and one or two novellas. It's not all about the romance. Or is it?
Contact Jennifer Estep
Twitter-Facebook-Blog
I received an e-arc from the publisher for review.


12 comments:

  1. Logan seems like quite the character and seems to be a bit missing. I so need to start this series

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd enjoy this one Brandi! I love the interaction between Logan and Gwen!

      Delete
  2. I still have to read the first book in the series, but I hear nothing but awesome things about this series! The mythology sounds great and ... the characters too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danny- this one hits on just about every mythology there is so really it should appeal to every one of us that likes that sort of thing. And then there is the required romance, of course!!! I can't believe you haven't started this one! I figured you'd be all over this one! You'll LOVE Logan!

      Delete
  3. It seems everyone who reads and reviews these books really likes them but I just wasn't a fan of the first book! Maybe I should give this series another shot. Still, I think I might have a hard time getting over the fact that four kids can do that much damage to supposedly deadly bad guys. Maybe not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay Mary, I was luke warm to the first book as well. But the next book was better, much better. And the others have been great. This one was just hard to believe in some places. But the last part of the story very much made up for it! Give it another try!! I promise I was just so-so on the first book.

      Delete
  4. "I also LOVED how Gwen got up in Logan's business about how he wasn't the only one that was hurt and afraid."

    YES! Me too Heather! I was worried she would just sweep his absence under the rug in the face of her excitement over him coming back, but I was so glad she told him exactly what his leaving did to her. And I think Logan did own up to it well:) I understood where he was coming from, especially after the novella, but running is never the answer if you ask me. I so love this series and I hope we see more of the griffins in the future. They were awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay I have a secret (not so secret not) desire to own a griffin! Ever since HP I have wanted one. And then Jay Kristoff puts a griffin in his novels but it's called a THUNDERTIGER and I'm like I want one of those and then this book was filled with not one or two but dozens of griffins and I was in HEAVEN!!! I will gladly traverse snow laden mountains to see griffins!!

      And yes, I was so glad Gwen didn't let Logan get away with his boy sh**. Like girls don't have the same feelings! But she did it the right way. Sometimes Logan is like a deer, you have to approach him with caution or he'll scatter and run. I was yelling "Man up!" to my Kindle while reading Spartan Frost! lol my boys thought I was nuts!

      Delete
  5. I also loved her telling Logan off, but was a bit disappointed when she tried to recant. So, when he refused her recanting, I liked Logan more. :) I also wanted a bit more in the novella (the romance!) but it was a nice view into his head. Oh and the griffins rocked.

    Btw, I can see how they did it in CO. You can have great traveling days in the winter even in the mountains and the "bam!" snowstorm. So for me it was believable. My only thing about it is that it couldn't have been that close to Denver. It would have been more toward the Rocky Mtn National Park. I can forgive it since a lot of people assume Denver is so close to the mtns. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gwen has got to be Nike's Champion and own it! Logan or no she's got to stop wavering. She's got a damn talking sword and a fenrir wolf. And much of the time some Spartans, a Valkyrie and some other mythological warriors backing her up. Logan or no, she's got to be Nike's Champion that's what she needs to accept!

      Thanks for explaining about the weather, Rockies and all. All I know about Colorado is that you can have snow in the summer and then 100 degree weather the next week. And you get terrible forest fires.

      I just now realized the links aren't working to contact Jennifer Estep! Sure hope no one wanted to contact her :(

      Delete
  6. I haven't read this series yet, but I am so impressed with how much you've been reading lately!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm having a contest with the one on house arrest. He keeps telling me how many pages he's read. I'm trying to keep up with him. I've got 8 books read that I haven't reviewed yet. I seem to be able to read, but reviewing has been hard! Don't be impressed yet.

      Delete

This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva