Thursday, August 29, 2013

Over You by Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus- Review

Over You by Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus
Published by Harper Teen
Available Now
Paperback 304 pages
Personal Copy
To Buy Links- Amazon/ Kindle/ Barnes and Noble
Goodreads- The authors of the bestselling novel The Nanny Diaries, Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus, bring you the story of a girl who gets her heart broken…and figures out a foolproof way to get over her ex.
 
Over You’s Max Scott had a hard time getting over Hugo, the boy who dumped her. Now it’s Max’s mission to help NYC girls get over their broken hearts fast, and with dignity. Now Max’s life is better than she ever imagined it could be. Her new business, Ex, Inc., is booming. Better still, her friendship with Ben, a truly sweet guy, could turn romantic. But when Hugo reenters the picture, Max realizes that she isn’t over him. At all.

Funny, touching, and romantic, Over You is the kind of book every girl will fall head over heels for.

This is one book I chose for a great summer read and now I get to tell you why. Max got her heart broken by Hugo. It was so bad that she left boarding school because of it and now she takes on-line classes. Even though she couldn't get over Hugo, she's determined to help other girls not go through what she went through. She has a really ingenious plan to help girls not just get over that first awful night, but those first four weeks so that eventually the girl looks like she's better off without the boyfriend to herself and to him. This quote from the book sums up Ex, Inc.'s business motto-

"But every day there's going to be a little window of time where you feel not just 'barely alive,' not just 'okay' but positively euphoric. Winning American Idol euphoric. And that window is going to get longer and longer each and every day. Because your body knows that surviving this....elephant is going to bring you a level of strength you have not yet known. I promise. Any my system will speed what organically can take months, or years, to a few weeks. Today (first day after breakup) we're aiming for about a thirty-second window, okay?"
I so wish that I had had an Ex, Inc. in high school! I know a lot of girls that would have wished for it, too. Break ups are devastating at that age and the feeling that you'll never get over it is even worse. But Max has broken it all down to a science and she's using her work as a research project of sorts to get into NYU. Seeing Max and her assistants in action was a thing of beauty! Whenever Taylor, the girl we get to see the plan worked on from start to finish, needs a boost or is about to do something stupid, someone is there to catch her. And I think I might have said this once or twenty times before that, I love boys, I really do, I am happily married and have two sons. But there is nothing I love better than having a girl getting even with a boy. And I get to see that in this one, though it doesn't work out quite like I thought it would.

All in all, Over You is a fun break up and fall in love all over again book. It's light and entertaining and great for these final days of summer or when you just want a quick book to make you smile and forget everything for awhile! Contemporary romance lovers will adore this one!  



17 comments:

  1. Hehe I really liked this one but I found the romance a little underdeveloped and missing. I cannot recall completely but I remember that I really had fun with this book apart from Max finding and falling in love again which I found to be essential to the story..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think because Max never got over Hugo, she just had a hard time trusting love. I did like her new choice.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a fun book. I actually think I know the perfect person for this book. Maybe have to recommend it over next summer. :D Brilly review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Is it someone trying to get over a breakup? If so, I'd recommend it! It reminds you that the pain isn't forever.

      Delete
  3. This does sound fun. I like that breakups are taken seriously and that she uses them for research instead of patting someone on the back and saying you will get over it. I think break ups in high school are bad, but college was way worse. I am glad that it also features falling in love again and a hopefully HEA. I will have to keep this one in mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My college breakups were nothing compared to that first one. He crushed me. I really could have used a Max in my senior year.

      Delete
  4. I need a fun and perfect summer read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked this one for that! Very light and entertaining!!

      Delete
  5. I saw this book on goodreads giveaway and was instantly attracted to it, but for some reason, never really picked it up. I need to rectify that soon! Can I just say that the Ex, Inc ides is so cool and I wish it was real! This is definitely my kind of read (love contemp!) and I can't wait to finally read it. So glad you enjoyed it, Heather! Great review: )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aman! You should definitely pick it up. The whole concept of Ex, Inc. is incredibly thought out. I think it just might work if you've got the right people to carry it out!!

      Delete
  6. I thought this was a really fun read. I loved the idea of a break-up survival business and I'm with you - I wish this type of thing was real!

    Kate @ Ex Libris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, my senior year would have been so much easier. I think my nickname was "that girl that cries all the time."

      Delete
  7. Oh man, I would have loved this as a teen! It sounds really great! I remember being devastated every time a boy broke up with me. I thought I was going to die of a broken heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I know, it does feel like you won't ever be happy again. I would have loved this book in high school!

      Delete
  8. I think I'm going to love this book. I love revenge stories and I love romance. This one looks funny, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is because sometimes, "we" don't take our own advice! Oh Max....and when you read about the things that girls do to try to get their exes back I dare you not to find one thing in the list that you haven't done yourself. It's like looking back into a time capsule! You must read it.

      Delete

This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva