Friday, September 6, 2013

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell-Review

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
Release Date: Septemeber 10th, 2013
Publisher St. Martin's Griffin
Received e-ARC from publisher through NetGalley
To Buy Links-
Amazon/ Kindle/ Audio Book CD/ Audible/
Barnes and Noble/ IndieboundBook Depository/ Kobo

 Goodreads-  
A coming-of-age tale of fan fiction, family and first love. 

Cath is a Simon Snow fan.

Okay, the whole world is a Simon Snow fan . . .

But for Cath, being a fan is her life — and she’s really good at it. She and her twin sister, Wren, ensconced themselves in the Simon Snow series when they were just kids; it’s what got them through their mother leaving.

Reading. Rereading. Hanging out in Simon Snow forums, writing Simon Snow fan fiction, dressing up like the characters for every movie premiere.

Cath’s sister has mostly grown away from fandom, but Cath can’t let go. She doesn’t want to.

Now that they’re going to college, Wren has told Cath she doesn’t want to be roommates. Cath is on her own, completely outside of her comfort zone. She’s got a surly roommate with a charming, always-around boyfriend, a fiction-writing professor who thinks fan fiction is the end of the civilized world, a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words . . . And she can’t stop worrying about her dad, who’s loving and fragile and has never really been alone.

For Cath, the question is: Can she do this?

Can she make it without Wren holding her hand? Is she ready to start living her own life? Writing her own stories?

And does she even want to move on if it means leaving Simon Snow behind?


Just go buy it and read it. See if you don't think it's one of the best stories ever! For me, it's up there with Gayle Forman and John Green's books. Just One Day this year was one of those books that still has an effect on me. Anything John Green writes does that. I've had to start a new shelf. Special, Special Books. Anne Ursu also goes on that shelf. And so does Rainbow Rowell.

The characters in this novel I loved them. I was jumping a little trying to edge Cath a little bit pushing her to go just a little bit further whether it was with her dad, Wren, Simon/Baz or Levi. I just wanted her to succeed at everything she tried. She just needed someone to pull her out of her shell, her tiny little world and somehow, she got paired with people that would help her with that.

Levi, just like his name says, he's like a comfortable pair of old blue jeans. He's relaxed, broken in, easy going. He just seems to know what to say all the time. He's always smiling. He's, as Cath says, "like a Golden Retriever". I want Levi the Golden Retriever. He is absolutely the sweetest boyfriend I've ever read about. And thankfully Cath and Levi are drama free. And yet so captivating and engrossing.

Then there's Cath's and Wren's relationship with each other, with their dad, with their mom, it's just so much about relationships. And there is a badass roommate that definitely would have scared me off my first year of college named Reagan that Cath lives with.

Rainbow Rowell just seems to know people and how to write them so well. Being inside of Cath's head, it was so comfortable and when I thought I knew everything about her and how she felt, she still surprised me. I love Cath!

And her fanfiction...I don't read fanfiction I have so much to read already. I've bought hundreds of books I haven't read yet. But I might start. I loved the Simon Snow fanfiction and he wasn't even a real story! I loved it!! I couldn't wait to read the stories.

This is just an amazing story about college, about facing new and scary things. About leaving home and some of the pitfalls of that first year. Of first love and how scary that can be. And about living life by your own rules and other people being okay with that. You don't have to change who you are to be liked. And maybe your brand of crazy isn't that crazy at all. It's an amazing story that all lovers of contemporary YA and YA romance will love.

I received an E-ARC of this novel from the publisher through NetGalley for review. I was not compensated for this review. All opinions expressed are my own. (And my own copy is coming Monday!!!)





18 comments:

  1. *claps hands* So excited Heather that you loved it too!!! IT was so freaking awesome that I cannot help my jump around being excited :)) This book was so outstanding and so wonderful and so romantic! Glad you liked it too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danny, I know! I was, I don't know so excited hardly waiting to understand what I was reading so I could get to the next word! I loved this book! Total fangirling for this one!!

      Delete
  2. I have seen so many awesome reviews for this book. I am so excited to read it! It looks like something that I will absolutely love

    Thanks for the great review! :)

    Michelle @ Book Briefs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of my faves this year and I really haven't been wowed this year by many so I was glad to get this one! I think it will wow you if you like contemporaries!

      Delete
  3. Wow, this seems to be the book of the week! I've read a review (each glowing) everyday this week. Gayle Forman and John Green are my auto-reads and auto-buys so this one is a must read for me. I do have a confession to make that I had a chance to read "Just One Day" yet. I will get to it especially since the second book is coming out soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will not chastise you for not reading Just One Day because I know how life gets sometimes. But you definitely want to find time to read it. And this one, it's just a great contemporary. It's real and honest and believable and doesn't flinch from the truth. I can tell Rainbow Rowell will be an auto-buy for me as well.

      Delete
  4. Three wows? Geez! I heard Rowell read an excerpt of this at BEA and I've been dying to read it ever since. I'm really excited to get to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you'll love it Steph! Still in college, you will definitely relate!

      Delete
  5. I love the sound of Levi, and really think that I would like him in this book

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I loved your description of Levi. He is so adorable. I loved this book as well. My review goes up tomorrow. I wasn't the biggest fan of all the SImon Snow stuff but everything else was top notch. I am going to read her other book as well! Have a great weekend, Heather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh having a son that writes fanfiction, I loved the Simon Snow parts. I was as excited about that as I was Cath's story. But I can see people feeling like it pulls them out of the story. I just loved to see how it worked for her. I don't think it's something I could do.

      Delete
  7. Oh man! Another stunning review of this book... and it is something I would have passed on. Love the sound of Levi and you know you have me drooling for this book now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't pass on this one! It really is a creative book. You'll want to read it, Mel!

      Delete
  8. Everyone just loves this book! I waited in line for over an hour at BEA for the ARC. I really need to move it up my reading pile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you, to get an ARC!! I must get to BEA one of these years! When you need a really good book, something that makes you think and really, really pulls you into the story, pick it up. I was holding my Kindle trying to eat, change clothes, take my pills, give hugs, I just couldn't put it down.

      Delete
  9. Rainbow Rowell is on my special shelf too-I have loved all three of her books in different ways and have been forcing them on people :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to force her on people too! I haven't read Eleanor and Park yet but it's already on my special, special shelf. I think I'll nab a copy of Attachments too. It sounds great!

      Delete

This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva