Monday, September 9, 2013

Gold (Bandia #2) by Talia Vance Review

Gold (Bandia #2) by Talia Vance
Available September 8th, 2013
Publisher: Flux
Paperback 408 pages
Received E-ARC from publisher through NetGalley for review
To Buy Links-
Amazon/ Kindle/ Barnes and Noble/ Indiebound/ Kobo 
Book Depository

Descended from an Irish demigod, Brianna has fled to Ireland to escape destruction at the hands of her sworn enemies, the Sons of Killian. Taking refuge at the estate of her former nemesis, Austin Montgomery, Brianna discovers a rift in time that opens to an era before the feud began.

Wrestling with her newfound feelings for the more innocent Austin, Brianna begins to wonder if she can alter the past. But when Brianna and Austin learn that the Sons are raising an army of mythical beasts, the pair will need to use their magical strength in the present to avoid a tragic end.

Please someone tell me there is a Platinum in the works, please!! I was just okay with Silver. The mythology of the bandia is hard to follow, the relationship between Brianna and Blake even harder. I never really understood it in Silver. It just never seemed to make sense. It didn't feel right and it was just too hard. They didn't even seem like they liked each other. Now, sexually, yeah, they were hot. But otherwise, meh. So I wanted to see where this novel went. I mean, IRELAND. I'll read about digging graves if it's set in Ireland! But  I got a novel that I couldn't put down from the minute I started. Okay, so maybe the first couple of pages I couldn't understand what had happened, but Talia Vance digs right in and tells us in a flashback what happened.

This makes the third book I've read by Talia Vance and this one feels like she has finally found where she's comfortable. The writing flows smoothly and there is no point where there is a jarring disconnect in the story. I thought Silver had those times, I'm thinking those might have been intentional, and perhaps the whole unbelievable relationship was intentional. You'll understand when you read Gold. And I highly recommend you read this one. Gold shines like it's name. There are "sexy times" which come so slow you practically want to reach through the book and help them along. But I'm not complaining. Everything comes at the right pace, the tension is done really well, that's why you're anxious for it to happen. My stomach was in knots so many times- those Sons of Killian are single minded in their desire to kill the bandia. And Brianna is always right there, ready to be killed. 

The story in Gold is explained much better. There is time travel, more Gods, and an epic battle scene. Of course, there is loss, isn't that how it always goes? Someone always loses in battle. There are losses I really didn't count on. I confess, I read the ending before I finished the book. I cheat like that sometimes. It didn't spoil the book for me though. I had to find out how they got from where they were to how it ended. And it was one hell of a read! Literally! As a second book, it far exceeds the first and is one of those books I was pulling my sweatshirt over my head juggling my e-reader in my hand so I could still read. When I finished it, there was nothing I could read that would satisfy me. You know when you've just read this great adventure and you come down off this high and you want to feel it again and you have no idea what is going to give you that high again? So I started it over again. I figure as fast as I read it, I'm bound to have missed something. And it's rare, right now that I'm rereading a book. Yes, it was that good. But there has to be a third book, right? Right??? Please! I'm begging!  That can't be the end. It just can't.

I received a copy of this novel for review from the publisher through NetGalley. This did not influence my review. All opinions expressed are my own.

About Talia Vance
TALIA VANCE is a practicing litigation attorney living in Northern California with her real life love interest, two-point-five kids, and a needy Saint Bernard named Huckleberry. Talia has been writing since she could talk, making up stories for every doll, stuffed animal and action figure she could get her hands on. She grew up hoping to write the great American novel, but her life ran more along the lines of tortured romance and fast paced thrillers, so that's what she writes.

Find her here- YA Muses/ Twitter/ Website/ Blog


  1. That was a very generous and lovely review. I'm so glad you enjoyed it. Definitely need to add this to my tbr list! thanks for sharing :)

    Ann@Blogging E-books

    1. Thanks! Definitely add it! The author tweeted that she has a third book in her head she just isn't sure when she can write it. It really needs a third book.

  2. Woot, glad it shone and explained the world better

    1. It was a great second book Brandi! It really tied everything up, but I still need another book.

  3. Oh I love it when a book just captures you like that and still rocks in the reread. I always want a 3rd book like that, but am always worried it won't hit me the same way. Wow! This is a great review!

    1. No, this one BEGS for a third book! If you read it you would say the same thing. I can't get more specific than that.

  4. Wow! You really loved this one! Ali had this on her blog today as well and I already was convinced I needed to read it, but your review sealed the deal. I love everything that is Celtic. Can't wait to check this out!

    1. I'm a big Celtic nut too. I have all kinds of thing bookmarked on my computer that has anything to do with Celtic lore. I blame an English professor I had that got me hooked. This is so interesting because it's gods and goddesses I don't know a lot about and it's not the tired Greek gods. You definitely want to read this one!

  5. Oh my gosh, I'm Irish. I'd better read this.


This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva