Monday, September 23, 2013

The Infernal Devices Audio Book Reviews

Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
Available Now
Audible
14 hrs 35 minutes
Narrated by Jennifer Ehle
Current Price $5.95 for Audible members
Just in case you have been living under a rock and don't know what the story is about-
The year is 1878. Tessa Gray descends into London’s dark supernatural underworld in search of her missing brother. She soon discovers that her only allies are the demon-slaying Shadowhunters—including Will and Jem, the mysterious boys she is attracted to. Soon they find themselves up against the Pandemonium Club, a secret organization of vampires, demons, warlocks, and humans. Equipped with a magical army of unstoppable clockwork creatures, the Club is out to rule the British Empire, and only Tessa and her allies can stop them...

My brief review of the audio book-
I listened to the audio of this novel and was completely swept away. Maybe it was the historical setting, or maybe it was the characters, but this novel seems so much more of a story, so much more romantic, funny, and heartbreaking than The Mortal Instruments. The language is richer, the politics of the Clave, and the relationships all seem to be so much deeper. I don't know if I had been reading this if I could have understood just how much Jem and Will meant to each other, what that relationship was really like. But listening to their interactions, it was clear. And I understand it's almost as deep a love as a man and wife. 

This book was narrated by Jennifer Ehle. As this seemed to be Tessa's story, it was appropriate and I enjoyed her voice. It was young and believable. She did a good job of portraying the other voices and had me riveted listening to the entire story. I swear my house has never been cleaner!

Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare
Available Now
15 hrs 39 minutes
Narrated by Ed Westwick and Heather Lind
Audible Member price $5.95
Again, under a rock, here's what it's about-
In magical Victorian London, orphan Tessa found safety with the Shadowhunters, until traitors betray her to the Magister. He wants to marry her, but so do self-destructive Will and fiercely devoted Jem. Mage Magnus Bane returns to help them. Secrets to her parentage lie with the mist-shrouded Yorkshire Institute's aged manager Alyosius Starkweather.

Again- My brief review of the Audio book-
Once again I listened to the audio of this book this time narrated by Ed Westwick and Heather Lind. They read separate chapters instead of male/female parts. And let me tell you, Will's accent really worked for him. I could have listened to Ed Westwick reading Will's part all day long. The narration on this book worked the best for me. 

I don't even know where the last book ended and this one began because I listened to all three in succession. I can only say again, the writing seems, as compared to The Mortal Instruments, much more complex, richer, just better. Again I think the historical context, the restraint that the characters have to show in their actions, even in expressing their feelings or showing them, that all adds to the romance. Talk about tension! And Will, oh Will! But, you really need to have the next book ready to go after this one. And did I tell you my house was clean? Well now all my books are put away by color on the shelves. Next I'll have to color code my closet. I highly recommend the audio of these books.

And Finally the gut wrenching, emotional conclusion-
Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare
Available Now
Audible
16 hours 24 minutes
Narrated by Daniel Sharman
Audible member price $5.95

Come out from the rock-
Danger and betrayal, secrets and enchantment in the breathtaking conclusion to the Infernal Devices trilogy.

Tessa Gray should be happy – aren't all brides happy? Yet as she prepares for her wedding, a net of shadows begins to tighten around the Shaodwhunters of the London Institute. 

A new demon appears, one linked by blood and secrecy to Mortmain, the man who plans to use his army of pitiless automatons, the Infernal Devices, to destroy the Shadowhunters. Mortmain needs only one last item to complete his plan. He needs Tessa. And Jem and Will, the boys who lay equal claim to Tessa's heart, will do anything to save her. 

My review of the audio book-
I listened to the audio book of this novel narrated by Daniel Sharman. I am not sure why each book was narrated by different people but I thought each book was fascinating on audio. This one though, it was utterly soul crushing. Yes, there were some uplifting parts, but this narrator knew just the right inflection, his accent for Will's voice was spine tingling and God did he make me cry. I had to cover my face with the sheet so my family wouldn't see me. I didn't want to have to stop and explain. I live with a bunch of guys. (Husband and sons). I'm not sure I've cried so much through a book and had I been reading it, I don't think I'd have been able to see through my tears. And it just kept going. Crush me, bring me back up, then crush me again. I mean I thought I was happy and then, dear God, here came the waterworks again. This was an excellent novel despite the ups and downs- emotional. There was a good bit of humor, inevitable loss, political machinations, a showdown once and for all with Mortmain and ...other stuff.

As a rating on this series I have to say this far surpasses at least the first two books I've read in The Mortal Instruments. I'm going to read the next one and stop there. Again I'll say this is one of the most romantic series of books I've read. And I love romance, but wow. The characters are so well developed, you just fall in love with them. And when one of them dies, you feel the loss. And those boys, Jem and Will, their love for each other, THAT, you don't see in YA ever. That was beautiful. True, deep friendship. I have to buy the books, now. So when the apocalypse comes, I can at least read these novels! Needless to say, I could not clean anything with all the crying going on. I just laid in bed and sniveled.

My suggestion is from the halfway point on don't listen or read in public. They'll think something is seriously wrong with you. You just have to type C in a search engine to find Cassandra Clare so I won't bother with links. But I think this is an amazing series and well worth reading even if you didn't like The Mortal Instruments.

I bought em! All mine! No disclaimers! MIne, mine mine!! Bleh! Phhht! 

12 comments:

  1. I am sooooo behind on this series. I read the first one back when it came out and I have the other two on my shelf. I must read them! Maybe I'll get the audio (Not that I don't have 50 audiobooks on my TBR already and 2 queued up next for review). :) We'll discuss when I finish them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know it's your fault that I am now looking for things to do so I can listen to audio books, right? Like I can buy every book I'm supposed to read! But "By the Angel" these books were fantastic on audio!

      Delete
  2. Soul crushing is def an apt description of the last one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I wasn't the only one that was wiped out on this one!

      Delete
  3. I still haven't read the Immortal Instruments. I have the first two books on my tbr, but just haven't found the time yet. Oh I'm so glad the off shoot story lines are so good. AH! I need to get started on the WHOLE series. Also glad to see it is good in audio!! WIN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far the Mortal Instruments has been just okay for me. But the Infernal Devices, it's just such a better series to me. I'd choose the Clockwork Angel, Prince and Princess over TMI any day. Just have those tissues for the Clockwork Princess. And your favorite feel good food. You will need it.

      Delete
  4. Wow, I bet your house IS clean! Funny, you went all in when you decided to listen to audiobooks! I bet these would be amazing, especially if they have accent. I really want to listen to them now! I loved reading the books so I'm glad you enjoyed the stories as well. I read the Mortal Instrument books when they came out and it wasn't until the 4th book that I felt like I *really* liked them (though others liked them less, so I might be backwards). So glad these were great for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I listened to Ghost Leopard and I got hooked! My house thanks you. So does the kitchen because I find I'm cooking a lot more as well. Baking, stocking the freezer. Too bad I can't write while I listen!

      Delete
  5. YES! I'm thrilled that you got a chance to read/listen to all three of these. Aren't they awesome?! I think her writing is so much better and the characters are much more complex than the MI ones. Loved the romance, setting, and characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rummanah- I remembered your reviews of the trilogy when I saw these for $6 each and I thought they'd be good. I remembered you said how good the romance was. You were so right! It was incredible! Beautiful story!

      Delete
  6. I also have no clue why each book is narrated by someone else. But for some reason this works for these books. All narrators are outstanding and if I'm correct Ed Westwick already narrated one of the other books in the series?

    So yes I agree, the last narrator was by far the best! Holy Cow, this voice was mesmerising!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you enjoyed these books! I wasn't a fan of Clockwork Princess, though I really liked the first two installments, and I'm also thrilled that the audio is good as really wonderful audiobooks are relatively rare. Wonderful reviews!

    ReplyDelete

This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva