Thursday, September 12, 2013

Zoe and Zak and the Ghost Leopard by Lars Guignard Audiobook Review



Today is my tour stop on the Ghost Leopard Audio Book Tour with CBB Book Promotions. 
I had a great day listening to the audio book while I cleaned the downstairs, something that hasn't been done in awhile. I found myself really not minding the cleaning as I listened. That's got to tell you how engrossing this book was if I can forget that I'm cleaning! You might want to follow the tour and enter the giveaways. The link for the other stops is here. Enjoy!

Zoe and Zak and the Ghost Leopard by Lars Guignard
Narrated by Bailey S. Carlson
Received audiobook from publisher for review
 To purchase- Audible/ Amazon/ Kindle
Goodreads-Move over Percy Jackson.
Find out what everybody is talking about!
If you loved Harry Potter, if you couldn't get enough of Percy Jackson, if you're wondering what to read after The Mark of Athena -- from bestselling author Lars Guignard comes the kids' magic fantasy
adventure... GHOST LEOPARD.

Zoe and Zak are lost in exotic India, where gods and magic still exist. Before they can find their way home, they just have to do one little thing...

...Save a mythical creature from an ancient evil that
wants to rule the world.

When Zoe Guire goes along on her mom's business trip to India, things get very weird, very quickly. An elephant god speaks to her from the bottom of a swimming pool... She and her classmate Zak get locked in a trunk and shipped off to a strange city near the foothills of the Himalayas... and a crazy snake charmer tells them they've been chosen to protect a mythical creature called the Ghost Leopard from an ancient evil that wants to take over the world.
As they travel deeper into the majestic mountains known as the Realm of the Gods, things get even weirder. If she and Zak want to make it back to their parents, they're going to have to tap into powers they never knew existed.
Because if they don't, things will never be the same for any of us ever again.

I am learning how to listen to audio books. I have to do something else active or I fall asleep. I can't be on the computer at all or I totally tune out. So, I cleaned. My husband is possibly fainting and probably trying to figure out how to thank the publisher and Candace. Cleaning is very low on my list of priorities. But cleaning while listening to an audio book....it's like being in another world and I kind of forgot I was doing something I hate. I might be on to something here.

Zoe and Zak are eleven year olds who find themselves suddenly free of parental supervision in India. Zak, who seems to be a little impulsive (or a just an 11 yr old boy) begins their adventure by sneaking into "Rhino Butt's" room. I know, I know. But he has that name for a reason. Zoe saw him getting out of the pool at the expensive hotel where she was staying with her mother and where she discovered a classmate, Zak, and his father were also staying. He was wearing a very tight black speedo and his butt reminded her of a rhino's behind. That's why she called him that and Zak picked up the name from her. It's a great visual and it's easy to remember who he is, especially with the audio book. And of course, he's a villain so it's a good name.

I laughed at some of the antics of Zak and Zoe's exasperation at him. There is no romance between them just a budding friendship. And a huge adventure for two eleven year olds alone in the cities and the jungles of India. Their mission is to keep the Monkey Man from harming the Ghost Leopard who is only vulnerable every one hundred years on the night of the full moon. It's obvious from the descriptions that Lars Guignard has spent some time in India. From flooded streets to food to wild bus rides we get a taste of India along with a fun, G rated adventure. I was thinking of questions as I listened, "Why would she believe that?" and before the thought left my head, Zoe would say, "I didn't believe it for a minute" or "I had to be dreaming." Sometimes I have a hard time suspending my belief because I don't think the character is asking enough questions or is accepting things too easily, but not this time. Zoe asked all the questions I would have asked and I think I actually believed in the Ghost Leopard before Zoe did. There was a lot of luck involved with Zoe and Zak defeating the villains and some supernatural help from some mystical friends. It's all very believable in a mystical sort of way.

This is a great adventure novel for middle graders. It's not too scary, easy on the violence but enough drama for a fast paced adventure. Nothing in the way of a romance, just a great friendship and the promise of another adventure.

I received a copy of this audio book for review purposes. I was not influenced by this. The opinions expressed are my own.



About Lars Guignard -
Lars Guignard is a former film and television writer and a graduate of both McGill University and the American Film Institute in Los Angeles. His debut thriller novel, Lethal Circuit, has been an amazon top 100 Technothriller since its release.
Guignard has wanted to write Indian stories for kids ever since he attended a boarding school in the majestic Himalayas. The time he spent in the “school above the clouds” affected him
profoundly, and once he returned home to North America he was struck by the lack of children’s stories from India available in our culture. Since India is such an incredible country, he decided
to write a series of action adventure books for young adults about India to introduce young readers to this magical, mystical land. So if you’re looking for a great book adventure for kids, try Ghost Leopard today!
Author Sites:

Website | Twitter | Facebook 



Ghost Leopard Audiobook Blog Tour special: 
To celebrate the audiobook release, the ebook version of Ghost Leopard will be available ON SALE for $0.99 (regular price $4.99) Kindle









14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Woo hoo!! I love a great believable adventure!

      Delete
  2. You so might be onto something wit audiobooks aiding those horrendous chores. I have been meaning to listen to Wuthering Heights on audio (I've had it ages). This book looks like a great kids page turner. Best of look with the audio launch! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh definitely great for housework and exercise to of my most dreaded chores!! Really makes the time fly. You should definitely try it! Works great.

      Delete
  3. We've only used audiobooks to keep our kids amused in the car...will have to try the housework angle! Thanks for the review! Best, Lars

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried my kids on audio books but I might try them while they are playing video games. I don't know if that would work. They've played them enough times that the audio shouldn't matter! We'll see. Good idea.

      Delete
  4. Oh I told you! I listen while I clean too and I get so much more accomplished! Usually all I can do is think about how I'd rather be reading. Now it's more like "what else should I clean?". It works great! And I'm so glad you enjoyed it. Wasn't it fun to travel to India?! Ready to go on a real adventure? LOL. ;)
    Thanks so much Heather, loved the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You did tell me when I said I worked on the computer while I was listening. It really helps with the housework. And it helps to have a good narrator. The voice has to match the narrator of the story like this one. She was or sounded like a young girl like the girl that narrates the story. Loved her narration!
      My husband is loving my cleaning binge.

      Delete
  5. This looks fun and I love audiobooks. I listen while working out, driving, knitting, cleaning, or playing Candy Crush Saga!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you love audio books! You're the reason I'm trying them more and you are so right about them being better if you're doing something else. I have collections of so much stuff that needs to be cleaned and weeded out and I've been working on that. Audio book really helped.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a great audio. I can do the sit and listen, but it's better if I'm doing something boring. :) I love the sound of the background and the adventure. So need to recommend it to some little cousins of mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely recommend the audio. I can't say anything about the book, but really felt like I was there with the audio. It helped that the reader sounded young like the girl narrating the book. Definitely recommend it to the cousins!

      Delete
  7. Yep, I liked this one a lot too. Very fun. I listen to audiobooks all the time while I am doing house chores and it really does make it easier especially when I am running the vacuum. You should do it more often :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grabbed a bunch of the free ones from Synch audio this summer so I plan to listen to those. It was amazing how quickly I was able to do some cleaning I had put off and I was really motivated. I was so into this book. I swear if a tiger had jumped out at me, I would not have been surprised! Lars has a way of making you feel in the land of India!

      Delete

This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva