Saturday, October 5, 2013

Countdown by Michelle Rowen Review

Countdown by Michelle Rowen
Available Now
Harelquin Teen
Paperback 336 pages
Received e-ARC from publisher for review
To Buy Links-
Amazon/ Kindle/ Audible/ Barnes and Noble
Indiebound/ Kobo

Goodreads-  3 seconds left to live. Once the countdown starts, it cannot be stopped. 

2 pawns thrown into a brutal underground reality game. 

Kira Jordan survived her family's murder and months on plague-devastated city streets with hard-won savvy and a low-level psi ability. She figures she can handle anything. Until she wakes up in a barren room, chained next to the notorious Rogan Ellis. 

1 reason Kira will never, ever trust Rogan. Even though both their lives depend on it. 

Their every move is controlled and televised for a vicious exclusive audience. And as Kira's psi skill unexpectedly grows and Rogan's secrets prove evermore deadly, Kira's only chance of survival is to risk trusting him as much as her instincts. Even if that means running head-on into the one trap she can't escape. 


Yes, the game is over. I have to say this one was a let down for me. The levels in the game weren't terrifying to me. I never felt like I was IN the game. It was a poor man's Hunger Games. I never felt an urgency as the clock ticked down because I knew they'd have to continue on for the book to keep going.

I was expecting something fresh and exciting. Dangerous, life threatening games, perhaps dangerous gangs, animals, surviving overnight in a wilderness so harsh no one would expect them to last more than a few hours. That's not what happens. I'm not sure the game, while it was played, lasted more than a day. There was insta love. And I think I can always forgive insta love when you are in a life or death situation and you are constantly in danger and saving each other's lives. But this one was actually thought about. They considered how they felt about each other. So it was still insta love yet carefully thought out. I was really confused with that one.

I knew who was going to die before they did. The plot was somewhat predictable though I did get thrown off course a time or two. The underlying villain and his reason for being that way was very clever. But still I kept feeling the game let me down. And then the ending, I kept waiting for some kind of treachery. It was a good ending and I didn't see the very end coming, but maybe I'm so used to trilogies and cliffhanger endings I just couldn't believe that it was actually going to end without some horrible cliffhanger.

So, yay for no cliffhangers! Yay for a complete ending. Yay for a really strong female character. Yay for a standalone. Pretty good world development. And the not so much- less than stellar games, shallow character development, and a predictable plot.

Don't get me wrong, I read the entire book in almost one sitting. But that was because it was a quick read and found myself skimming some of it. I think plenty of you will like it better than me. I'm just a bit tired of books like this. It wasn't terrible, it wasn't fascinating. It was in the middle and unfortunately it is not memorable. But please remember, that is just my opinion. I've seen a lot of reviewers that loved the chemistry between Kira and Rogan. So please read the reviews on GoodReads before you decide.

I received  an e-ARC of this novel from the publisher for review through NetGalley. I was not compensated for my review. The opinions expressed are my own.


  1. The poor man's hunger games. That description makes me so sad. I'm sorry this one was a let down.

  2. Oh that sucks. I hope your next read will be better!

  3. oh no, poor man's hunger games :( I know i wouldn't care for it either then.


This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva