Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Ever Near by Melissa MacVicar Review

Ever Near (Secret Affinity) Book 1 by Melissa MacVicar
Available Now
Paperback 200 pages
To Buy Links-
Amazon/ Kindle/ Barnes and Noble/ Indiebound/ Kobo/
Book Depository

Goodreads- Love is ever near. But trouble is never far.

Nantucket Island is haunted, but only sixteen-year-old Jade Irving knows it. Ignoring the disturbing spirits isn’t an option, because one dwells in the enormous historic home she shares with her newly blended family. Jade is finding it more and more difficult to explain away Lacey’s ghostly, anguished tantrums, especially with Charlie, her gorgeous, almost step-brother, living right across the hall.

When a power-hungry ghost hunter tracks down Jade and blackmails her, Jade’s secret teeters on the edge of exposure, and her entire future hangs in the balance. If anyone finds out Jade can talk to ghosts, her life will be forever changed.

Can she save herself, free Lacey, and hang on to her tenuous connection with Charlie? Or will everything she ever wanted slip through her fingers?

First, this is the book I was supposed to read last week for the blog tour I was on. It was much better than the book I read, instead.

Jade is a light skinned part African American. An ancestor, a slave, had a baby with her Master and I couldn't tell from there if there was anymore of her family that intermarried until her mother, a fiery red headed white woman and her father an African American with light skin married. Why am I telling you this?
It was made a big deal of in the story so I'm just letting you know. I understand why Jade's African American heritage was important to the resolution of the story, but there might have been a couple of comments or thoughts thrown in by Jade about being the "only black girl" that seemed out of place. No one seemed to have an issue with Jade's skin color but Jade, so why make such an issue of it?

Okay, that's out of the way. Jade is a lovely girl, who happens to be the daughter of a nurse who took care of a woman in her final days of cancer. She had two sons, one of whom was Jade's long time crush and now he's going to be Jade's step brother. Yikes. I don't know how families deal with this in real life. It must happen more often than it's happened in books. This is only the second time I've run across it, but it was dealt with really well. The teens knew they couldn't keep it a secret and told their parents. It isn't as if they are blood related and though it might be a little awkward, it is understandable.I think the tricky thing for the couple is finding time alone. Mom and dad are never going to leave them alone. Of course, this is book one so things are still pretty innocent. We'll see. I do love Charlie! He is strong and protective and he believes Jade before he really has a reason to believe her. He wants to find her help and he doesn't care what his dad or her mom thinks, he'll do what he can and put Jade first. He isn't reckless, he's smart, he's one of those guys that is smart beyond his years. Maybe because his mom died and he had to watch her die by bits and pieces, it gave him a kind of wisdom other kids don't have. Whatever it is, it works very well for Jade.

Jade is not one of those girls. She does a couple of things that turn out to be stupid, but I didn't think they would be at the time she was doing them. So, she isn't reckless and going off doing dumb things. She tries to keep her abilities, she'd say disabilities to herself. But Charlie has to wake her up one too many times in the middle of the night during a nightmare. That's how things start between them. When she does finally share with Charlie it takes some time for him to believe her, but he does. She has a completely awesome best friend and you know when the main character has such a great best friend, they must be something special. Awesome best friends don't stick around with loser friends.

This is a GREAT ghost story. I love ghost stories. I have since I was a girl scout and sat around a campfire trying to scare each other with the worst ones we could come up with. I did my reading before we went. This one has some scary parts, but only as an outsider looking in. Everything happens to Jade so it feels safe. Still, you aren't sure who's worse, the humans who claim to love her or the ghosts that want to claim her. The horrors visited on Jade are both human and ghostly.

 The novel is well written, obviously written by someone that has experienced summer life on Nantucket and knows the ins and outs of the beaches and tourists that crowd the island in the warmer months, both of them. It touches on a religion I know nothing about, and upon a cursory look on the internet can find no information on it. This is a work of fiction so I can live with that. It's an entertaining story with a great romance in it.

I received an e-ARC of this novel for review. This in no way influenced my review. All opinions expressed are my own.


  1. Thanks for taking the time to read and review my book!

  2. I also like a good ghost story, which are hard to find these days. I'm curious about the race issue. Perhaps the character is making sense of being biracial? I'll have to check this one out. Thanks for the recommendation, Heather!

  3. Great to hear it is a well done ghost story and she is a different mc

  4. I like ghost stories too. I kind of passed over this one but after reading your review, I'm interested in it again. I'm excited to see Jade.

    Thanks for the great review!

    Michelle @ Book Briefs

  5. I think her issue needs to be put in context for others to "get it". Oh and this sounds like a good ghostie story. Perfect for this time of year. Oh love the review!


This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva