Monday, October 28, 2013

Just One Year by Gayle Forman

Just One Year by Gayle Forman
Available Now
Hardcover 323 pages
Personal Copy
To Buy Links-
Amazon/ Kindle/ Audible/ Barnes and Noble

Goodreads-  The heartrending conclusion—from Willem’s POV—to the romantic duet of novels that began with Allyson’s story in Just One Day

After spending an amazing day and night together in Paris, Just One Year is Willem’s story, picking up where Just One Day ended. His story of their year of quiet longing and near misses is a perfect counterpoint to Allyson’s own as Willem undergoes a transformative journey, questioning his path, finding love, and ultimately, redefining himself.


I totally gushed and gooed over Just One Day. It is one of my all time favorite books. It was life changing for me. So, Just One Year had a lot to live up to. Did it meet my expectations? Yes and no. 

I loved reading Willem's point of view, learning about what shaped him and about his family. I wouldn't have realized his depths from reading Just One Day. But to know he was using Allyson as an escape in a way from facing something painful in his past made him less carefree and hipster backpacker and more real. This was absolutely an in depth study of who Willem is and who he became as he spent his one year becoming and growing. In a way, he spent the year after Allyson finding himself just as Allyson spent her year after him, not only looking for him but also finding herself.

The ending. That's what it all boils down to, doesn't it. That ending. For me I could have had it go on forever. But the parallels between Willem and Allyson's lives and Willem's parents lives was a great addition to the story and kind of cemented the ending. I think it really was just enough. What more  was there to tell. And I loved the reference to our favorite rocker Adam Wilde!!

Of the two, Just One Day was the better novel. I can't put my finger on why but for me it was. I think it's more about the way it spoke to me as opposed to the story it told. 

In any case, I totally recommend it and both books. Incredible stories, both of them and so memorable.
You'll never forget these characters.




6 comments:

  1. I'm just right now finally listening to the audiobook "Just One Day" and .. I'm already scared of this ending!!! Please tell me it's good!

    I can't wait to finish and then go one with 2Just One Year!"
    Glad you loved it so much :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like a loser for not reading this duology yet. I haven't had the time and to be honest, I was terrified if I was going to through the emotional wringer like I did with "If I stay". I will try and fit these books in before the year is over and I'm sure I'll love them just as much as you did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you liked it even if the first was better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was so hoping to get this one for review since I enjoyed the first so much. Looks like I'm going to have to either library book it or buy the darn thing. I have to know. Plus, seeing that you enjoyed it so much makes me want it that much more. Don't mind it not being as strong as long as it is good! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad this was not a disappointment! I'm looking forward to reading my copies of both books.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am working on my Just One Day review and I can hardly wait to get my hands on Just One Day. With Willem's POV! Excitement.

    Some reasons I am happy to be back home, in front of my computer, with all my lovely books! Now is one of them. Hugs. Missed you.

    MS

    ReplyDelete

This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva