Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Red by Alison Cherry Review

Red by Alison Cherry
Available Now
Publisher: Delacorte Book for Young Readers
Hardcover 320 pages
To Buy Links-
Amazon/ Kindle/ Barnes and Noble/ Book Depository/
Indiebound/ Kobo

Goodreads Synopsis-  Felicity St. John has it all—loyal best friends, a hot guy, and artistic talent. And she’s right on track to win the Miss Scarlet pageant. Her perfect life is possible because of just one thing: her long, wavy, coppery red hair.

Having red hair is all that matters in Scarletville. Redheads hold all the power—and everybody knows it. That’s why Felicity is scared down to her roots when she receives an anonymous note:

I know your secret.

Because Felicity is a big fake. Her hair color comes straight out of a bottle. And if anyone discovered the truth, she’d be a social outcast faster than she could say "strawberry blond." Her mother would disown her, her friends would shun her, and her boyfriend would dump her. And forget about winning that pageant crown and the prize money that comes with it—money that would allow her to fulfill her dream of going to art school.

Felicity isn’t about to let someone blackmail her life away. But just how far is she willing to go to protect her red cred?

So I featured this one twice on my Waiting on Wednesday and absolutely couldn't wait for it to release! And then I was approved to read it on NetGalley!!! So..I bet you're wondering what the verdict is. Did it live up to my expectations? Was all the buildup I had created in my mind worth it?? The answer is yes and no.

It was a social satire on the way we judge people by their looks, the line "Blondes have more fun" kept running through my mind as I read. But it's also about accepting who you are (I'm not saying you can't color your hair, I'd be a hypocrite). But really accepting who you are, you're likes and dislikes, what you want to do with your life, you don't have to be heading  to  college to be making decisions. Life is constantly changing and with every step you take you are making a decision to do something. The one thing you can't do is pretend to be something you aren't- like being a red head when you're really a "strawbie" or staying in a town that only thinks you're somebody if you have red hair. 

Felicity has a problem. She's not a real red head. She's actually a strawbie, a strawberry blonde and she would not have the social standing, friends, and boyfriend she has if it weren't for the color of her hair. Which she has touched up every four weeks in a secret salon. One where all the other women who need dye jobs go. There's a secret code, secret exit, none of the other customers ever see each other. Until, Felicity gets a blackmail note. And the humiliation begins.

Felicity's friendships, love and loyalty are tested to the limits. Felicity's mom has her life mapped out for her. She pretty much wants Felicity to live her life with the possible exception of hanging onto her husband. She believes Felicity should win the Miss Scarlet pageant then attend the community college, get married and have kids. But her view of the world, her limited view, starts to change when she gets outside the city limits and sees that redheads don't get preferential treatment anywhere but Scarletville. When the blackmail sabotages one of the most important nights of her life, she learns even more how great it can be to be treated as a nobody, to fit in rather than stand out.

I didn't feel a connection to Felicity, there was always some feeling of disconnect between me and the story, but I enjoyed it very much with it's numerous twists and turns. There were a lot of unexpected things that happened and when I thought about all the messages the author was trying to convey, it really was done well. They didn't hit you over the head. It was redheads over the top, but not overdone, if that makes sense.

So the verdict was, it was fun to read, had a message and I enjoyed it. But it wasn't quite as funny as I expected it to be. I do highly recommend it!

I received a copy of this novel from the publisher for review through NetGalley.  The opinions expressed in this review are my own and were not influenced in any way.


9 comments:

  1. Sounds good despite the bit of disconnect with Felicity

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to have to trust you on this one; because, I'm not gonna lie, the whole red-heads-have-the-power thing sounds preposterous. Lol. And twice on your WoW? Talk about jonesing for a book.

    I'm glad you enjoyed this one. I think I'm going to read it anyway just so the book could prove me wrong. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too bad this one wasn't quite as funny as you had hoped Heather, but I'm glad it had such a strong message (without beating you to death with it) and you enjoyed it overall. I like that it's over the top without being overdone, that's such a fine line and one that often gets crossed with satire, so kudos to Alison for walking it so beautifully! Thanks for your thoughts on this one:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw... sorry it wasn't all you wanted it to be, but at least it was entertaining. All I kept thinking when I saw the blurb was that almost all redheads come from a bottle. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was hoping for more humor in this one, Heather, but I'm glad it you enjoyed it nonetheless and it had a good message without it being forced down your throat. I don't think it's the right book for me though. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know you were eagerly waiting for this one and I was excited too but so far the reviews are a bit lackluster. I don't think it quite lived up to the hype. I still would read it for the message and the humor, I am always up for a funny read!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hadn't seen this one yet. Sounds like a really good concept!! It's too bad you felt disconnected, but it does sound like it was good overall!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a fan of satire, but this one never quite appealed to me. Have you read Bumped?

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's always a little sad when you are so excited about a book and then it's not as amazing as you hoped. Still, it does sounds like a great read nevertheless and I kind of like satire themed books..

    ReplyDelete

This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva