Thursday, October 24, 2013

The Iron Traitor (The Iron Fey: Call of the Forgotten #2) by Julie Kagawa

The Iron Traitor (The Iron Fey: Call of the Forgotten #2) by Julie Kagawa
Available October 29th
Harlequin Teen
Paperback 352 pages
Received E-ARC for review through NetGalley
TO BUY LINKS-
Amazon/ Kindle/ Barnes and Noble/ Indiebound/ Book Depository/ Kobo

Goodreads-  In the real world, when you vanish into thin air for a week, people tend to notice. 

After his unexpected journey into the lands of the fey, Ethan Chase just wants to get back to normal. Well, as "normal" as you can be when you see faeries every day of your life. Suddenly the former loner with the bad reputation has someone to try for-his girlfriend, Kenzie. Never mind that he's forbidden to see her again. 

But when your name is Ethan Chase and your sister is one of the most powerful faeries in the Nevernever, "normal" simply isn't to be. For Ethan's nephew, Keirran, is missing, and may be on the verge of doing something unthinkable in the name of saving his own love. Something that will fracture the human and faery worlds forever, and give rise to the dangerous fey known as the Forgotten. As Ethan's and Keirran's fates entwine and Keirran slips further into darkness, Ethan's next choice may decide the fate of them all. 
Review

So, I'm just going to chalk my reaction to The Lost Prince up to the fact that I couldn't imagine a Fey book without at least Puck and Ash in it and I didn't like Ethan's sulky, whiny voice. Because my opinion of this book is totally different. It isn't fair to expect the characters in these books to be anything like the characters in the original or first generation- Ash, Puck and Megan. And they aren't like them at all.

Again, Ethan is pulled into the world of the Fey when Annwyl shows up at his house searching for Kierran. She is fading and she is desperate to see him one last time before she does.  Ethan, with a bit of a hero complex and because Kierran is his nephew agrees to help. He's got some ideas. Ethan, with the help of Kenzie, is a tad less defensive, a tad less sulky and whiny. I could not stand the "Poor Me" attitude he had in the last book. Ethan, your a dude, suck it up and get over yourself. You have to deal with faeries. Other people have to deal with mental illness or cancer. We've all got our problems. Move on! Seriously I almost stopped reading it. But Kenzie seems to have given him a reason to lighten up. He even laughed in this book. And seemed to understand Meghan a little more. 

The book is told from his point of view completely but it's got some humor in it and the sulk is lightened to a bearable level. It doesn't hurt that Ethan is falling in love with Kenzie and everything looks a little better as long as she's there. And it also helps him empathize with Kierran and his desires to help him save Annwyl since Kenzie herself has her own clock that is ticking down.

Kierran is hard to understand. I know he wants to save Annwyl and he feels a certain debt to the Forgotten. But so many times in the novel he seems to have that "Ash" face, cold hard stare, blank face. On Ash I understood it. He was winter fey and that was him warring with duty and desire. But with Kierran, hmm, maybe the same thing? I don't' know but he has the "Ash" face (my words not Kagawa's) a lot in this novel. You expect him to be a traitor just because of that. He shuts off. And in the end, he'll do anything to save Annwyl. And he thought he was in trouble with his parents before!

I am not going to spoil it by telling you who all is involved but if I say chaos and mayhem you might know who joins them on a quest to get Annwyl's banishment revoked. Yep, you probably guessed right.  The addition of that certain someone also adds to the fun of the book. I hate to think I have to have him in the book to make me like it, but I do think I liked it more because he was in it. What's more, a certain Ice Boy, showed up for a rather huge battle. You can just feel his power even now through the pages when he enters the fray. He is unbeatable.

There are all kinds of betrayals and twists and battles and oh, the betrayals. Did I say that? That Summer Queen. Ugh! And then such an unexpected one...well not so much but you just can't believe it. And a cliffie? Seriously? But yeah, there is a rather large one. Very disappointed by that. Like we need a cliffie to read the next book.

Thanks to Harlequin Teen for the E-Arc through NetGalley. I was not compensated for my review. All opinions expressed are my own.

Just a note for those that order from Amazon. For some strange reason, the price of the paperback at the time of my writing this 10/23/ is $5.99, cheaper than the Kindle. So you might want to order it rather than purchase the Kindle. I have no idea how long this will last.

So in case you didn't know how to seek out Julie Kagawa you can find her here-



5 comments:

  1. I've just finished reading this, and like with The Lost Prince, my thoughts for this are on the minority again. I just can't bring myself to like the characters! Kierran is the hardest one to like as he keeps on making reckless decisions.

    I agree that the addition of the certain someone added so much fun to the book. It was actually one of the highlights of the book for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like the only person in the blogosphere who hasn't read this series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know! What is with that ending??? WHY do we have to wait so long to find out??? Gah! Kagawa is going to kill me with these books. :D Brilly review! So agree!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HEy as long as Grimalkin is there I can love it. I can't wait to dig in! But Damn that cliffie shaking fist!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really nervous about this one. *chews nails* Will probably wait for the third book before I read this. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva