Monday, December 16, 2013

Tin Star by Cecil Castellucci Why I am DNF-ing it

Tin Star by Cecil Castellucci
Release Date February 25, 2014
Publisher Roaring Brook Press
Source: NetGalley e-ARC for review
e-Book 240 pages

From Goodreads-On their way to start a new life, Tula and her family travel on the Prairie Rose, a colony ship headed to a planet in the outer reaches of the galaxy. All is going well until the ship makes a stop at a remote space station, the Yertina Feray, and the colonist's leader, Brother Blue, beats Tula within an inch of her life. An alien, Heckleck, saves her and teaches her the ways of life on the space station.

When three humans crash land onto the station, Tula's desire for escape becomes irresistible, and her desire for companionship becomes unavoidable. But just as Tula begins to concoct a plan to get off the space station and kill Brother Blue, everything goes awry, and suddenly romance is the farthest thing from her mind. 


I don't usually tell you I have DNF'd a book, but I'm going to start telling you. Every book I read can't be great, right? And when I've taken my time to read a book why shouldn't I tell you why it didn't work for me? So here goes, and I do say this with great respect because I know how hard it is to even attempt to write a book.

Tula is boring. There is absolutely no depth to her character. I have read to page 67 of the e-ARC and I know nothing more about her than I did when I started the novel. I know what she does every day. I know what Heckleck asks her to do. I know where she lives in regard to the space station she lives on. But I don't know how she thinks. It does say she's numb and if the author wrote it this way intentionally, well I'd say well done. But for me, I just don't care about Tula.

The second problem is that nothing is happening. Absolutely nothing. The first exciting thing just happened a couple of pages ago and now it's over and nothing is going on. It's even less happening than before. And again, this may be intentional to show us how life is for Tula, but I don't need 67 pages to show me that. I got it in the first couple of chapters. The pacing is just too slow.

I am giving up. And I'm reviewing it now because the book is one that has to be read on my computer and expires on Saturday. I won't remember it in February and I want to be able to answer your questions if you have any. It is not a terrible book by any means. It's just not exciting or holding my attention. Nothing in it makes me want to read it. And I have other books that I do want to read.

So sadly, lack of depth of characters, lack of progression of the story and slow pacing all prove to be just too much to make me continue with this story. I'll be eager to see if anyone else has a different opinion and can show me what I missed. But this one is a DNF for me.


11 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yeah, the cover on this one really intrigued me but I didn't even make it to where the humans crash landed. It still hadn't happened. I'm sure other people will enjoy it, just not me.

      Delete
  2. Too bad you had to DNF it. I always have a hard time doing that, but have been better... especially when you know you time is more limited.

    I think you did an excellent job at writing the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mel. I tested it on my son, who doesn't care, and my husband who tries to care, they both said I backed up my opinions so I felt okay with this. I just don't like doing it. But when so many indie authors want a shot and you only have so much time, you have to decide when to call it quits, right?

      Delete
  3. I know what you mean Heather, I've read a couple books like this where even when I reached the end, I didn't feel like I could tell you what actually happened. It's a shame this one didn't reach out and grab you, it seems like in 67 pages SOMETHING should have happened to keep you reading, so I hope whatever you pick up next is epic from the start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny! I've got a couple of indies I agreed to review but I think I started another one that I have to read on the computer and it pulled me in on the first page. So I'm happy!

      Delete
  4. I have read plenty of books that I just start skimming to get through them, I really need to just start not finishing them so I don't get burned out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This has been a problem for some books with me and I'm just not going to do it anymore. Beside you come here to see what I thought. I should tell you.

      And you are so right, when you force yourself to read a book it takes the joy out of it and kind of turns you off from reading. I imagine it's what kids feel like when they are forced to read a book in school that they don't like.

      Delete
  5. Heather, I know exactly what you mean about DNF novels. With all the review books and pleasure reads I go through every year, it becomes impossible to chug through a boring plot and un-engaging heroine to finally reach the end. I'm sorry this one didn't work for you, but I hope your next read is a LOT better. Great review - I know this won't be one I pick up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keertana! I think I'll be holding a spot for that book you reviewed today! It was such a great review I can't wait to read it when it comes out!

      Delete
  6. So sorry you didn't enjoy this one and didn't finish it! The cover looks good. I agree with you though- there are some books we just can't finish. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete

This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva