Monday, January 20, 2014

Girl of Fire and Thorns Audio Book Review by Rae Carson

The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson
Audible Book Narrator Jennifer Ikeda
To Buy Links-
Audible/ Amazon/ Kindle/ Barnes and Noble/ Book Depository/
Indiebound/ Kobo

Goodreads- Once a century, one person is chosen for greatness.
Elisa is the chosen one. But she is also the younger of two princesses, the one who has never done anything remarkable. She can't see how she ever will. Now, on her sixteenth birthday, she has become the secret wife of a handsome and worldly king—a king whose country is in turmoil. A king who needs the chosen one, not a failure of a princess. And he's not the only one who seeks her. Savage enemies seething with dark magic are hunting her. A daring, determined revolutionary thinks she could be his people's savior. And he looks at her in a way that no man has ever looked at her before. Soon it is not just her life but her very heart that is at stake. Elisa could be everything to those who need her most. If the prophecy is fulfilled. If she finds the power deep within herself. If she doesn’t die young. Most of the chosen do.

Yes, I finally finished a novel!! I listened to it on audio and I loved it! When this series came out I was hesitant about reading it. I loved the idea of Elisa being heavy set and a heroine. But the more I read the reviews, the more I didn't like what they said. That Elisa didn't become a heroine until she lost weight. I shied away from the series. I have weight issues and it pissed me off to know that only skinny girls could be heroines, even in this book. WRONG! 

Here is what I found listening to the novel. Elisa is a heroine right from the start. She is defiant, loyal and thinks like a heroine, even if she doesn't believe in herself right from the start. She has been married off at the age of 16 to a man she has never met and she's worried about what he's going to think of her because of her weight. I know how she feels. Rae Carson does a great job of being in the mind of a girl, overweight or not, that is insecure about her body. Elisa knows she is being judged by her looks, but rather than letting it beat her down, rather than withering under their judgmental glances, Elisa lives up to her title. She is a Queen and she acts it. I can't help but think that if more of us took our flaws as well as Elisa does and treated ourselves as Queens or Kings anyway, then we might all be happier. Elisa never resorts to pitying herself but owns up to having created her weight problem.

Elisa shows extreme bravery and strength throughout the novel. She trudges through the desert even as her legs and heavy body betray her without complaining. She isn't there of her own free will either. Her faith in the Godstone and her God keeps her going. And as her body grows smaller, her belief in herself grows larger but it isn't because of the lost weight. It's because of the strength in her body. In herself.

The story is good, but there is a lot I don't know about the country and the cities. About the different religions. And about the Godstone itself and how it gets inside of someone. What the war is about. I think the stronger story is about Elisa, coming into herself, and her own power, learning how to lead a country and trusting her own judgment. I was very happy with Elisa as a character in this novel and the way she developed. 

And the audio--- I really enjoyed the audio narrator. Her voice was soft and young. It got overwrought and excited when needed but for the most part, like Elisa, it remained calm. I really enjoyed her voice, the pacing,  the way she changed her voice for different characters. I believed her voice and feelings that came through. I'm glad she continues the narration in the next book as I have it on audio to listen to as well.



17 comments:

  1. I haven't read this one yet, but I've heard only great things about it thus far, and I have to admit that it sounds pretty darn amazing. I almost like the fact that the author doesn't tell us too much about the setting because it leaves more to be discovered in the next installments! Great review, Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa! My imagination filled in a lot from the descriptions I just didn't understand the war part. Who was at war and where they were. But some things are easy to picture. I procrastinated on this one, but I had credits on Audible and decided to get the series. I am so glad I did. I have wanted to read this one. I find audio books so relaxing to listen to at night. It isn't Sci-Fi, but definitely Fantasy!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the clarification, Heather! It's also one of the reasons why I shied away from this one plus I kept on picturing one of those ugly troll dolls with a jewel in the middle whenever I read a review for this book! The heroine sounds awesome and definitely someone I can root for. I've been waiting for the series to finish so I can read them back to back. I hope to do so this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, she is definitely someone you can root for Rummanah! She doesn't whine about her weight. She knows how she got that way. And she doesn't really let it factor into to much after her initial introduction to people. She is definitely a character to admire.
      The Godstone thing does bother me. I know they come out, but I don't understand how you're born with them. Keertana says more is revealed in the second and third books so I'll find out!

      Delete
  3. Oh I'm so going to have to see if the library has this one on audio! It sounds fab. I had assumed that those that didn't like it just didn't like fantasy. I love the sound of the heroine and I'm off to see if it is at the library! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darn it! ebook and print book only available. Hm... still want to try it on audio! :)

      Delete
    2. Really? No audio?? Hmm. That sucks. It really is good. I'm starting to really enjoy audio books so much. I get a lot less headaches and I can listen to them on speaker on my phone.
      Audible???

      Delete
  4. I too want to try this on audio...I'm looking for a good one to start with...I haven't really got into audio books because of crappy narrators...maybe this could be the one! Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely listen to the little audio snippet to make sure you like her voice, but I found her to sound just like I would expect, a 16 yr old girl kind of thrown into a situation she is unprepared for and winging it. I have found the trick to audio books is to clean or totally devote yourself to it. Don't work on the computer because you'll zone out. I am the type that can do two things at once, but not with audio books. Except Pinterest.

      Also Will Patton's narration of The Raven Boys is excellent!

      Delete
  5. Love the sound of Elisa, and I need to read these books soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really do! It's a great series! I started the year off right with this one!

      Delete
  6. I'm so glad you enjoyed this one - yay! I found that the world-building, religious undertones, and different specifics of this setting were really fleshed out in the later installments. Both the sequels are extremely strong and truly build upon the foundation that this novel sets so you've definitely discovered a fantastic trilogy here. I can't wait to see what you make of the next installments! Fantastic review(:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Coming from you with your incredible reviews that means a lot! I am looking forward to the next two books. I have them on audio as well. I think I actually started the second one. I am not sure where things are headed but I love Elisa's way of thinking and I'm looking forward to understanding the world and religion more. It didn't take away from my enjoyment of the first book. I was sure it would be explained more. Thanks Keertana!

      Delete
  7. YAY! So glad you ended up loving this one Heather! I struggled with Elisa a touch in the beginning, it wasn't until she was put in the path of danger that I got to see the queen in her and how much of a fighter she is inside and out. She's so sheltered in the beginning and I think that's why she's so focused on her weight, but once things start happening, her focus turns elsewhere and we get to see how amazing she is and her weight becomes irrelevant:) Can't wait for you to listen the rest of the series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if you remember the discussion we had when this series came out and I asked you about her weight. It was you that made me think about going ahead and giving it a try. I thought she was defiant from the start though. From the carriage incident to what she did for her husband, she had the makings of a Queen. Obviously. And I loved her approach to people who thought she was a nobody, a "fat" nobody. I can't wait to listen to the other two books! Thanks for the recommend!

      Delete
  8. This is the first review I have read that touches in detail on Eliza and her body image. I think is is outstanding that this author decided to make her character a bit overweight and shows how she overcomes her self body image. What an awesome message. I could certainly forgive the lack of world building in exchange for a positive message. I have heard some great things about this series and it is another set of books I need to read. Guess a library trip is in store :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidi, this had always been my reason to hesitate on this series, but Jenny and I had a discussion about it and she assured me it wasn't the focus and that it was done well. It was. As I have my own body image issues I found it empowering. A very rare book in the world of YA, especially fantasy that is empowering for a girl of size. The audio was so excellent but I will want to own the books as well. Elisa's voice is so strong as the book goes on. I love it!

      Delete

This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva