Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Blog Tour- Zoe and Zak and the Tiger Temple Audiobook Review


Zoe & Zak and the Tiger Temple by Lars Guignard
Read by Sonja Field

Genre: Middle Grade Magic, Fantasy Adventure. Ages 8-13

About the Book:
Zoe and Zak have learned some things since their first semester at Moonstock Himalayan Academy in India: #1 Don't trust the parrots. #2 Don't eat the food. #3 And most importantly . . . don't stick around if something crawls out of the lava hole beneath your school. Last semester, Zoe and Zak returned the first lost Noble Truth to its rightful home. Now, the seventh graders are back in India for their second semester at Moonstock, their boarding school high in the Himalayan mountains where impossible things seem to happen on a regular basis. School kicks off with the Activity Week Challenge in the tiny mountain kingdom of Bhutan where the students must deliver medical supplies. Things take a turn for the worse when Zak becomes deathly ill after an encounter with a strange floating bubble. On returning to Moonstock, Zoe and Zak discover that a creature has come through the lava hole far below their dormitory. When Zoe and Zak follow the creature, they soon learn what they must do. They have been tasked with finding the second lost Noble Truth--the Tiger Eye of Justice. Finding the Tiger Eye sounds like an impossible mission, and it's only made more confusing when Zak discovers that he has been given a powerful gift to help with the task. But Zak's new gift is a double-edged sword, and if Zoe and Zak don't find the Tiger Eye quickly, Zak's time will run out. The Tiger Temple takes Zoe and Zak deep into an exotic world of magical enchantment and heart-pounding action. It promises to be the most thrilling Zoe and Zak adventure yet.
Audio sample is under the cover on the audible page if you want to sample it.

If you haven't read any of my previous reviews of this series then you won't understand why I am so excited about this particular book in the series. The first book, Zoe and Zak and The Ghost Leopard introduced us to the world of India and the taste of adventure that Zoe and Zak get from their first mystery. With their first mystery solved, the next one starts on their trip to their new school in the foothills of the Himalayas, Moonstock Academy. It is the place with the worst food in the world, strict and surprisingly mean guard monkeys and magic hidden underneath the school. Zoe and Zak discover incredible magical gifts and mysteries in Zoe and Zak and The Yogi's Curse. But in this mystery, Zoe and Zak are still at Moonstock, with a truly perplexing mystery. Zak is getting tiger stripes and having Dr. Doolittle moments with animals. There is a new student that is Zak's roommate and a total braggart and showoff. And Zoe and Zak make a journey on foot to find the Tiger Temple with many distractions along the way. This journey is so full of discoveries and new powers, it's the best of the stories so far!!

I have come to really love these audio books. They aren't too long, but the narrator is great at keeping my interest. She sounds young, just like a 12 year old girl should. She changes her voice to sound like a 12 yr old boy-Zak and she sounds like different teachers and other 12 year olds but they never sound the same. I am never confused about who is talking, it's always very clear. The voice of Zoe is the narrator, it's soft and even except where it needs to be, she explains things just enough without becoming boring. And I love how she exclaims softly without raising her voice when she's surprised, "Holy India!" 

Holy India is right! This is a great Middle Grade magical fantasy series, one I really enjoy on audio. I want to thank the publisher for the copy of the audio book for review. I will continue this series to the end, whether I am on the tour or not. It is that excellent. Every thing feels so authentic when listening, the rivers, the bazaar, the mountains, the jungles. If you read below you'll understand why. I absolutely recommend this series. I have not read the books, but I think I would miss the voices and the descriptions if I didn't listen to the audiobooks. There are some books that just should be listened to as an audio book. I believe this series is one of them.

I received a free copy of this audio book for review. I was not compensated for my review. All opinions expressed in this review are my own.

About the Author:

Prior to writing novels, Lars Guignard wrote for film and television. As a teenager he attended boarding school in the Indian Himalayas and his experiences there provided the inspiration for the Zoe and Zak series which now include: Zoe & Zak and the Ghost Leopardand Zoe & Zak and the Yogi’s Curse and Zoe & Zak and the Tiger Temple.

He lives in the Pacific Northwest where he dodges bears and cougars while hiking & skiing the magnificent Coast Mountain Range.
For news about new releases, please join his email list here: Zoe&
He can also be reached at the following places:

About the narrator:
Sonja Field combines her life-long passion for reading with her skill as an actress to bring audiobooks to life! A dynamic and versatile narrator, she has logged hundreds of hours recording textbooks with an organization called Recording for the Blind and Dyslexic. She loved recording the action-packed Zoe & Zak and the Yogi’s Curse because of its wealth of colorful, quirky, and memorable characters.



a Rafflecopter giveaway

This tour was organized by CBB Book Promotions.


  1. I'm so glad you loved this too! I think this is the BEST narrator I have heard yet in all the audiobooks I have read. She does so well it's almost like a full cast audio!
    I LOVE visiting India in these books, I've found it's so easy for me to picture everything and imagine I'm really there.
    Thanks for hosting a tour stop!

    1. You were right when you said this was the best one yet. There was slightly less rehashing in this one which I liked and the kids are just a tad bit more grown up. I also liked that the roomies were in on the secrets a little. This was really great.

      And you are so right about the narrator, it is like a full cast of characters! She is so great!

  2. Yikes already book three. I will have to continue this series with my kids when they are older. I thought the first book was fun.

    1. It was a lot of fun!! You really should continue with the series! This one was fantastic!!

  3. I really need to tell my cousin about this one. I think his boys would really love it especially on a long car ride. Hm... then maybe I can borrow it or something... ;) Brilly review!

    1. Oh, the audio is fantastic. They would love it! It will keep them spellbound.

  4. There's nothing quite like middle grade fantasy! It's even better when the narrator really kicks butt, too, simply because you get a real feel of everything that's happening! Fantastic review, Heather :)

    1. Thanks Melissa! When you need to escape, there is nothing better than getting lost in India with two 12 yr olds and some "Yogi" powers!!

  5. Thanks for the amazing review! You hit the nail on the head when you said, "escape." These books are meant to be a fun journey to a magical world so it's great that you're enjoying Zoe & Zak's adventures in that spirit. And I agree, Sonja is spot on with the voices. Thanks again for the listen!


This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva