Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Broken Hearts, Fences and Other Things to Mend By Katie Finn

Broken Hearts, Fences and Other Things to Mend #1
by Katie Finn
Feiwel and Friends May 13th 2014
Hardcover 352 pages
YA Contemorary/ Summer Read
Reviewed E-ARC from Publisher
To Buy Links- Amazon/ Kindle/ Audible/ BN/ Book Depository/ Indiebound/ Kobo

Goodreads- Summer, boys, and friendships gone sour. This new series has everything that perfect beach reads are made of!

Gemma just got dumped and is devastated. She finds herself back in the Hamptons for the summer—which puts her at risk of bumping into Hallie, her former best friend that she wronged five years earlier. Do people hold grudges that long? 

When a small case of mistaken identity causes everyone, including Hallie and her dreamy brother Josh, to think she’s someone else, Gemma decides to go along with it.

Gemma's plan is working (she's finding it hard to resist Josh), but she's finding herself in embarrassing situations (how could a bathing suit fall apart like that!?). Is it coincidence or is someone trying to expose her true identity? And how will Josh react if he finds out who she is? 

Katie Finn hits all the right notes in this perfect beginning to a new summer series: A Broken Hearts & Revenge novel.


Okay, first I want to protest that there is an entire year before the sequel to this comes out and there is another sequel after that! I wish I had been aware there was a sequel going into this one. I am sure I have read a review that said there was one, but I let it slip my mind. So beware, there will be sequels and you will want to read them tomorrow!

Characters- Gemma/Sophie- Gemma who tells everyone she is Sophie to keep from getting into a messy situation from the past is actually trying to make up for some past mistakes. At 11 she did something really awful, damaging her father emotionally, as well as another family, practically ruining a woman's career and all for nothing, the inevitable happened anyway. She has been ashamed of it for years and never told anyone. Had she told, she probably would have needed therapy. Since she didn't, she's lived her life trying to make up for her mistakes. Her intentions are in the right place, but she is a bit blind to the fact of what is actually happening with all her mishaps. 

Hallie- The girl that Gemma/Sophie hurt all those years ago. They were best friends. And then Gemma did the unforgivable things and left Hallie standing there crying. Hallie is .....complicated.

Josh- The innocent bystander in all of this. He is Hallie's brother and the guy that Gemma/Sophie falls for during the summer. He falls for her. He is so sweet. SO SWEET! Any girl would love a boy like him.

The setting/world- The Hamptons- Okay, it's the beach, it's summer, very little parental supervision, and THE HAMPTONS! I haven't been there, but I have heard enough to know I'd love to go!! So what's not to love about the place? Gemma/Sophie has a choice of all kinds of fancy cars because she is staying with her father who is staying with his friend a famous movie director who has a mansion right on the beach. Life is good! 

The Story- As the title suggests, it's about mending fences and broken hearts and other things. But that is always easier said than done. Certainly mending a broken heart takes time, and Gemma's and Hallie's have been broken in different ways. Fence mending, well truth should be told first, Gemma has to fess up that she isn't Sophie. And both Hallie and Gemma need to do minimum damage to Josh's heart.

My Take- I thought this was a fun beach read going in and that's exactly what I got. There are a lot of mishaps and yes, I could see through almost every "accident" and who was behind it and even who Hallie's boyfriend was. It didn't take much to figure that out. But this was a fun book. Yes, what Gemma did when she was 11 was bad. And I feel like there will be a confession involved somewhere along the line, but she was 11 and in a panic about her parents divorcing. I think kids do anything to keep their parents together. And they blame themselves. I laughed at Gemma/Sophie's naivety. I laughed at how far she went to keep the charade up. At how far she went to try to be a good friend. But I did sober up at a few points in the story. I have even already figured out how Hallie and Josh's mom made her money. (This is not revealed in the story so far). But it was all just a fun read to me. And I can't wait for the next book!
The only thing I didn't like was that I didn't realize it was a series!!

Great for a summery, beach read. YA contemporary, very PG read. I read this one in record time.

Thanks to Fiewel and Friends for the E-ARC for review. This in no way influenced my review. The opinions expressed in this review are my own.

Find Katie Finn


  1. I really liked this one too. The next book won't be out till next years, the wait is going to be awful. Great review.

    1. I know! I couldn't believe it! Way too long to wait. I hope I still care when the next book comes out!

  2. While I didn't love this one as much as you did, Heather, I definitely enjoyed the story and the author's writing style! I think there was some great characterization and growth, as well, which always appeals to me. Lovely review!

    1. Thanks Melissa! I think I must have read your review and some others and knew people weren't liking it as much as me. It's probably timing as well. I've got a lot of books to read this month and this one was just easy to read.

  3. I've seen this one around and was wondering if I should pick it up. I'm glad that you got what you expected. I'll add this one to my maybe pile when I need a light read.

    1. I don't think it's your kind of book Rummanah. I just know you'd have trouble with it, because there is a mean girl part in it. And you wouldn't put up with the obviousness of it either. It is really, really obvious.

  4. THIS LOOKS SO CUTE! And I need some sweet happy books to read on the deck with my iced coffee!

    1. Oh, I didn't say it has an HEA. But I said it was fun! And Hallie has issues. It was really obvious Steph but it's definitely a palate cleanser. Though after reading your review of Being Sloane Jacobs you might WTF through this whole book, lol!

  5. Ahh.. I need cute, fun summery read and this one looks like it delivers without a lot of drama. I am so ready for summer. Kicking self for not getting a copy of this.

    1. Oh, no,no,no, it's all drama! But it's funny to me. The author makes it so obvious who is doing what and the victim is so clueless. I just took it at face value and read right through. I've read more books this week than I have all last month so it was a good book.

  6. another book to add to my summer reading list!


This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva