Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Forgiven by Rachel Morgan

Forgiven (A Trouble Novella) by Rachel Morgan
Available Now
New Adult (without the explicit sex or major drama)
Amazon Digital Services 
E-book 76 pages
FREE on Kindle
FREE on Nook
FREE on Kobo

Goodreads:  Three hundred and six days ago, Julia ran away from home. Abandoning her family, friends, boyfriend, and university plans, she fled with no explanation. She can’t hide forever, though, and now it’s time to face the mess she left behind.







REVIEW

I know the first thing you're going to think, "I don't like novellas!" (some of you might not feel so strongly as the exclamation point, but you have let me know, not interested). But before you rush to judge, let me tell you why you should give this one a try. First it's a prequel to a new series by Rachel Morgan. I don't know if you remember me singing the praises of her Creepy Hollow series (The Faerie Guardian, The Faerie Prince,  The Faerie War) which started as monthly novellas and then turned into full length books. I LOVED that series. It was the perfect mix of adventure, disaster, faeries, unique magic, and romance. Rachel's voice is easy to connect with and I find myself easily slipping into the character's mind as soon as I start to read.

Second reason to give it a try, new setting, at least for me- South Africa! I haven't read any books set there. I got a small sense of what it was like to live there. Some of the settings and expectations. It was a very different setting for me. And at first I was thinking Florida. So hope I didn't ruin that for you, but it isn't completely central to the plot of the story. I don't think it's a spoiler or I wouldn't mention it. 

Third, this is a complete story packed into these pages. Rachel doesn't drag out the drama unnecessarily. She relieves us quickly of our questions and honestly, my mind did not go to where the answers were until the very end. The story is resolved and no, I don't think it happened too fast. I think once the beans were spilled, the rest just fell into place. Julia has had almost a year to process what has happened between what happened and the days she has to confront the thing that made her run. She is not a child of ten, she is almost an adult.
Her coming back to celebrate her parents' anniversary I think is just an excuse. Okay, I'll stop psychoanalyzing. 

I really enjoyed the character of Julia and her relationships with her sisters. I loved that she was  so connected to them, despite having left them so abruptly. Her parents were very much a part of her life and she had great friends. Even her boyfriend was likable, lovable. Not one that you would run away from without a very good reason. Even though they are no longer together, they are still able to speak amicably to each other which speaks volumes for the type of guy he is considering how Julia left without even a goodbye.

So, there are my reasons for reading this novella. It has some adult content, violence of a sexual nature so it is for the older YA to NA crowd. And yes these characters, have graduated and are going to college. Kinda. There is romance for everyone that needs that with there story. You will be happy with it.
AND AS OF RIGHT NOW IT'S FREE! 

Oh and there is a nice bit of the 1st actual full length book in the series, The Trouble with Flying, at the end of the novella. And it involves some of the characters from this novella. 

Go on now, read it. Squeeze it in between the pool and dinner. Or while you're waiting at the dentist office. Or just taking one more weekend trip before (shh) school starts.

Happy Summer!
Heather

6 comments:

  1. Hi Heather,

    A lovely blog you have here! A wonderful review too! I'm looking forward to reading Forgiven - it seems like an interesting novella. As a fellow avid reader of NA romance novels, I am hoping you can take the time to check out my blog at http://thesecretbooklover.blogspot.com.au/

    Regards,
    Scarlette :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooo! I think I might pick this one up! lol I'm not totally against novellas- infact I quite enjoy them when they're done right, and from the sounds of it- this one was! South Africa sounds just awesome right about now too lol Love the blog and am a new follower!

    The Book Bluff

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't read many novellas, but I love that this one is set in South Africa. I love reading about new places.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoy novellas only, more often than not, I feel as if the stories can easily be expanded into full-length novels and I'm so invested that I selfishly want more. But that's more of a personal qualm than anything else. Glad you enjoyed this, Heather--I'm definitely going to give it a try! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do like novellas. I also like those that just seem complete. I just read one like that and I so loved it. Also love the price so I snatched this one up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that intrigues me with the unique setting, not sure I have read any books based in Africa

    ReplyDelete

This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva